Thorn bushes/trees

Help Support CattleToday:

jcummins

Reaction score
Mow them…they spread. Got to get the right herbicide and kill them. They are getting to my tires.

I was given a small quantity of Gordon's Brush Killer, and did a test spray…it did the job. I mixed with water. I liked this product.

That's a controlled herbicide, and I don't have a license, not even sure where to buy it. But I bought some Remedy, and mixed with water, double the dosage….it did not do what I wanted. Another person said I have to mix with diesel, but as expensive as everything is getting…..I don't want to experiment with different solutions.

I'll check on going to a class and get a license, but in the meantime….what's the best answer to these $^&^^&*&* thorns. I need to get the right CHEAPEST solution, both with a non controlled herbicide and the solution with a controlled herbicide.

Digging mesquites with a backhoe is the only absolute I have found. Toothache tree and most all others can be killed with herbicide. Just don't let overspray hit pecan or any other tree.

Interesting that you could by Remedy without a license. On Locust trees a foliar spray of Remedy and water will work, seems to take about a month before it looks like it's done much. Remedy and deisel as a basal spray will kill them too, still takes a copule of weeks to look like it's done any good.

These are locust, and I have a lot.

Maybe I just need to give the Remedy more time. The Gordon's bursh killer....now the next day, you could tell. I mean it KILLED them quick. And I even tested on some larger small trees...and it got them just as quick. But I have no license, don't know where to get, nor what it cost. TSC doesn't have it.

BTW - how often do classes come up to get a herbicide license in Texas. Ranch is in Walker county.

I've obtained excellent results spraying a mixture of about 85% diesel and 15% Remedy using the basal stem method (less Remedy than the label calls for). Around Magnolia, I'd guess you have either huisache, mesquite, devil's club, possibly locust or some other type of tree that has a wicked thorn but dang if I can remember the name (looks like a yaupon when small, but when big it resembles a live oak). Anyway, I've killed all of the above (except locust, which I don't have) with the basal stem method. Have had only very marginal results with foliar spraying Remedy. Just don't a mistake and foliar spray with diesel -- use only water and a good surfacant. If you have mesquite the recommended foliar spray is definitely Reclaim with Remedy. I know you don't need a license to buy Remedy; don't know about Reclaim. Here's a good site to visit:

http://texnat.tamu.edu/BrushBusters/index.htm

Brute 23":2wv17qip said:
YOu don't need a license for Remedy.

I use 20ga of diesel to 1gal Remedy. Just a little shot at the base and move on. We spot spray Remedy and boom spray weed killer to keep the huisatche and mesquite and bay.

You do in MO.

Brute 23":1xarazza said:
I use 20ga of diesel to 1gal Remedy.

That's right at $200.......and is what I was trying to avoid. Plus i got 120 acres, and 20gal would just get me started. Gordon's brush killer as effective as it was with water....I've got to believe would be cheaper.

My ranch is between Huntsville and Trinity....house is near Magnolia, guess I ought to edit that. But Arnold...you have the plant IDed. Maybe it's not locust, I just called them that. Young in life it's like yaupon, I have a lot of small stuff, but I have some more tree like, up to 5 inches or so in diameter. I have a side by side Teryx vechile...and three of the four tires had flats in last two weeks. Tractor tire had one flat. I slimed the Teryx tires...that helps, but these thorns have to go.

I girdled some of the larger tress with a chainsaw, then sprayed them. Most trees I sprayed a 15inch band around the trunk...the small stuff, I just sprayed the foliage. So I'm using a mix of how I'm sparying depending on size.

When I bought the Remedy...one customer said I needed a license...but at the counter they said no. I saw the list TSC was using...they had just about everything I've ever heard of on the list, and Remedy was on the non-controlled side.

jcummins":2k7jrx31 said:
BTW - how often do classes come up to get a herbicide license in Texas. Ranch is in Walker county.

You can do it on line. I don't have the link in my favorites anymore.

jcummins":eywi3yuf said:
When I bought the Remedy...one customer said I needed a license...but at the counter they said no. I saw the list TSC was using...they had just about everything I've ever heard of on the list, and Remedy was on the non-controlled side.

It may have changed. When I first bought the stuff 5-6 years ago a license was required, that was the reason I got my license. Now when I buy any herbicide the 2 places I get the stuff know me and know I have a license so they don;t check, just ring it up and away I go.

Most counties in Texas offer the applicator's licensing classes three or four times a year.. you can also check with surrounding counties. It's pretty easy to get it within 6 months or so.

Requires a licenses to buy remedy in Ark Or Mo, also have to keep a log on where, wind, temp., sky condition and the amount used per acre. Have been audited. They will want to see logs, storage space and amount on hand. Cannot burn or bury empty containers. Where I buy they have licenses on file with expiration date.
I do not know what kind of thorn bushes you have. I use grazon P+D and remedy, surfactant, water and on green briers add vinegar or bleach. Have had good kill. We usually spray in evenings appears to do better.

Check w/your local extension office. I know there is a class in Kaufman county coming up in August. Cost is $25.00. Watch a video for 4 hours and then take the test. You will know when you leave if you passed or not. They will give you a packet and you send $60 to the state for your license. It is good for 5 years.

I just took my test on Tuesday and passed. Just waiting on the license to come back. Takes 2-4 weeks.

I have cut down at least a dozen of those stinkin thorn trees. I got real tired of flat tires on my tractor. Some stumps are growing new shutes and loaded with thornes. If I cut the stumps off and drill a hole in the trunk, what chemical would be most efective in killing the stump. Any advice would be helpful. Tom :cboy:

kerley":3txgd1cs said:
I have cut down at least a dozen of those stinkin thorn trees. I got real tired of flat tires on my tractor. Some stumps are growing new shutes and loaded with thornes. If I cut the stumps off and drill a hole in the trunk, what chemical would be most efective in killing the stump. Any advice would be helpful. Tom :cboy:

Kill them before you cut them. Basal spray of Remedy and diesel will work. If they are locust trees and probably a bunch of others, any where there is a nodule on a root will send out a new shoot if you cut them. You gotta kill the root system or they'll just continue to spread

dun":3rzhc5cd said:
Interesting that you could by Remedy without a license. On Locust trees a foliar spray of Remedy and water will work, seems to take about a month before it looks like it's done much. Remedy and deisel as a basal spray will kill them too, still takes a copule of weeks to look like it's done any good.

Talked to a Dow Representative Tuesday about some privet hedge and he said to you a 1:3 ratio. 1 Remedy to 3 diesel fuel. He also said that you were to just apply it to the bottom 16" of the bush and all the way around if possible. It hard to even think of useing diesel fuel at the price that it is.

Auburn_Ag":2krmvzjy said:
dun":2krmvzjy said:

Talked to a Dow Representative Tuesday about some privet hedge and he said to you a 1:3 ratio. 1 Remedy to 3 diesel fuel. He also said that you were to just apply it to the bottom 16" of the bush and all the way around if possible. It hard to even think of useing diesel fuel at the price that it is.

Both the herbcide and diesel cost is my issue....being retired...just can't go out and lay down the $$$$$$.
I am now seeing what Dun said...it takes awhile......most of what I sprayed is turning yellow. The bigger stuff, yet to see anything. After see the brush killer work so well with just water....I think I need to get a license and get some of that stuff. Just about everyone says Remedy will work....I'll try some more sample sprays, but for sure, I'm going to use the minimum of the $$$$ stuff to get it done.

Latest posts