This year's Project...Opinions?

Help Support CattleToday:

txffamom

Reaction score
This is the heifer calf my daughter got from her cow and will be this year's heifer show project. Not exactly set-up correctly in some, but they are working on it.

I hope I get the pics posted correctly...

1236200_10201038600746368_1682516817_n.jpg

1234627_10201038600946373_426636512_n.jpg

1185358_10201038601306382_314430996_n.jpg

1185892_10201038601666391_1969911551_n.jpg

1239033_10201038601866396_1898411254_n.jpg

1236361_10201038602026400_251776963_n.jpg

I like her nice hair, feminine face, nice bone structure, long deep muscular quarters. Lay the feed on her and I'd love to see how she grows!

What is the breeding on her? Some good hair going on and good muscle and length so she should fill out nice on feed. One thing I don't like about her is she is a little too fleshy in the front for my likes. I'm guessing the cow she is out of is a former project too so always great when you can take something back to the fair out of something you showed previously.

Thank you for your input. It's nice to have a second set of eyes.

Yes, SPH, she represents the end of a 3 year project. My daughter got her mom at 5 months old and showed her, showed the cow/calf pair last year, and will show this heifer this year (speaking in school years).

I agree with the fleshiness up front. It somehow takes away some of the feminity of her face, but I'm not sure if we can do anything about it. (Products to try, feed changes, etc.)

She is the product of a cow that needed ALOT of improvements. The mom was a great first cattle project, and winner to us, because she stayed healthy, calved unassisted, and was very maternal. She is now on a farm and has adopted a calf whose cow didn't produce milk, and is also re-AI'd to the same bull as the heifer above. Hopefully there will be another calf in 7 months or so.

They are all registered Simbrah (5/8 Simmental, 3/8 Brahman). We AI'd the cow with semen from Hagan's Ante Up 51S, hoping to drop a good calf and overcome some of the faults of the cow. We needed to add bone, butt and depth, and correct some structural issues. She got all the bone she needs plus some, a little more depth than her mom, a better structure (although still not perfect), and still didn't get quite enough butt. She has a very American butt, which for some reason, the judges don't care for around here. They prefer the wide, square bottom of the Simmental side of the breed.

All-in-all, although there have been no banners, and shiny buckles, they have been successful projects, because my daughter always showed up with well taken care of, healthy projects, and that was her goal from the start. As her mom, I'm hoping for better finishes this year with this calf, just because she has done the best she could with what she had to work with, has worked hard, never gave up and she deserves it. (I'm only a little biased.)

Again, thank you for your input.

Your daughter is learning so much more with her homegrown cattle than the youth whose parents buy "a winner" every year.
Our children did the same as your daughter. They too did not bring home the banners and buckles, however they had a great time, learned about being a good sport and learned life lessons that the kids who win all of the time have not.
I think that they ended up being the winners after all.
Your daughter is a winner too. I hope that your daughter does well this year and has an awesome time raising and showing her heifer : )

You should be very proud of you r daughter!! As my grandkids say "awesome". This is what our jr. programs is supposed to teach. We have a jr. program here where a kid writes a letter and tells what they will do with a heifer and how they whould take care of her etc. They are judged and if chosen breeders donate heifers to the program and the kids are in the cow business. They report every month and also keep track of expenses. It is,I beleive , another way to not only help a deserveing youngster but also a good beganing life's lesson.

Still a nice heifer and very representative of her breed. Tell your daughter good job of finishing her.

Latest posts