This years "Project Bull"

Help Support CattleToday:

One of the Gelbveih breeders I went and visited said the mother of one of his cows (he didn't own the mother) lived to have 24 calves in 28 years... I like that kind of "sticking power" and don't see much done in any livestock industry to reward that... The way I look at it, if your average cull has 7 calves, and you compare that to a herd that has 14 calves on average, you'd only have to keep half the replacement heifers, and that's money in your wallet. I'm nowhere near that in my herd, but I have done a LOT of fiddling around in my Excel herd database to see which cow lines have the best lifespans, as well as looking at the reasons for culling. It's not perfect, as in the case of Rosie's mother's line (Josie) because I have kept 7 calves from that line in 4 years, and so far those 7 replacements have only given me 3 calves, which really skews the averages because I have so many young animals... Meanwhile I have a couple other lines that look good (if that's all you look at) because I only have one animal left, and they're 10 years old... While writing this I may have found a way I can correct this to an extent... I'm going to go try it!

One of the Gelbveih breeders I went and visited said the mother of one of his cows (he didn't own the mother) lived to have 24 calves in 28 years...

That is phenomenal!

My parents remembered lots of dairy cows in their 20's when they were kids... Of course they didn't get pushed the way they do today either

Ok here are some pictures of him at 11mos.. Don't have him standing right, took these in a hurry, but you get the idea. My vet saw him today and really raised his brow and asked "what are you going to do with this bull?" Because he usually doesn't notice any that he's not working on, I will take that as a compliment! :D
[URL[img]http://i881.photobucket.co...ads/IMG_20140406_183639_zps63892521.jpg[/img][/url]
[URL [img]http://i881.photobucket.c...ads/IMG_20140406_183738_zps0462ac3e.jpg[/img][/url]
[URL[img]http://i881.photobucket.co...ads/IMG_20140406_184009_zpsba4c3bfb.jpg[/img][/url]

Thanks you guys/gals! I like him. We'll see how he does at the fair this year in July. He ain't half bad being out of a first calf heifer. Some folks don't think a first calf will ever make a herd sire, but I don't think that's always true. ;-)

I don't see why not.. the genetics don't change... I don't keep heifers from first timers, but that's because it's more critical that they grow out fast as they don't get 10 months of vacation every year.

I kept a steer from a first timer last year and he looks pretty good.. ought to be tasty by fall!... She managed to raise him to 600 in 7 months, which is a respectable first effort around here

Green eyes, that bull is nice. You got some condition on him! I have noticed that some folks who sell bulls, make an effort to put condition on their bulls. Others don't. I know one producer here who has an outstanding reputation and genetics but when you view their bulls, they look thin.

Chuckie":2jmxymv6 said:
That is a good looking bull. He will just keep getting bigger and better. Good job!
Thank you Inyati and Chuckie! Always nice to get confirmation from others.

Inyati, my pasture is such that I do not usually have to do any special "conditioning". This guy is getting a small amount of grain and alfalfa because I did wean him early at about 5 mos.. (His mom was the one that had the rear paralysis, and he would knock her over while butting to nurse.)

I'll be the "turd" in the punchbowl. I dont' like him at all. He's too feminine looking...built like a heifers. At least in the last pick you posted. The earlier pics were bad angles so really couldn't see that much. Maybe with a bit more time to mature he'll look more like a bull. Post more pics when he's older and has more testerone flowing. Ok??

TexasBred":3vpjda2a said:
I'll be the "turd" in the punchbowl. I dont' like him at all. He's too feminine looking...built like a heifers. At least in the last pick you posted. The earlier pics were bad angles so really couldn't see that much. Maybe with a bit more time to mature he'll look more like a bull. Post more pics when he's older and has more testerone flowing. Ok??
TB I do agree with you about him being a little "feminine". My Brangus are slower to develop and mature. (He's 11 months.) That kind of goes with the thread we discussed about "larger cattle maturing later."
Like you said, we will have to wait until he matures more to know if he will grow out of it. From my experience with the Brangus though, it should happen. :D
But no guarantees. Will post pics as he grows!

Speaking of "bad angles" with picture taking, At our Field Day, we have a cattle photographer coming to give us pointers on photographing our cattle! Maybe my pics will improve! :lol:

He would probably also be more advanced in growth if her were not from a heifer, and that is probably a reason a lot of people don't keep bulls from heifers

Nesikep":2l3pu52i said:
He would probably also be more advanced in growth if her were not from a heifer, and that is probably a reason a lot of people don't keep bulls from heifers
Possibly. We will just have to wait and see I guess........

branguscowgirl":3c0ncnlc said:
Speaking of "bad angles" with picture taking, At our Field Day, we have a cattle photographer coming to give us pointers on photographing our cattle! Maybe my pics will improve! :lol:
Good luck. Mine have never improved. :lol:

Latest posts