Third Function by Running Hose from Rear of Tractor

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I am toying with the idea of getting a grapple for one of my tractors. None of them have third function capability. Has anyone run a hose from the rear hydraulics to the front of the tractor to obtain third function capability?

I have done exactly that. Whether you will be happy with it or not, depends on how much you will use it, and if you want to switch tractors with the grapple. It is somewhat slower, because you have to take your hand off of loader control to operate grapple. On the other hand it is much cheaper than adding 3rd function to loader, and enables you to use it on any of your tractors (if all loaders have the same mounting system or you have an adapter).

I have a grapple run that way. Also have one on a skid steer with true third fuction. Very little difference as far as ease of operation.
The location of your controls could play into that in a big way. Mine are close enough to the fel joystick.

sstterry":229cb0jd said:
I will only use the grapple sporadically, that is the route I may go. I can simply take the hose off when I am finished.

I had looked at doing this but after talking to several people who had done it that way most had regrets so I bit the bullet and added the third function. It hurt.

Our grapple is run off a rear remote, maybe M5 will put his :2cents: worth in on this topic. He's been running our grapple cleaning up his mess for a week. I think it's all what you get use to. A 3rd function is definitely nicer but you sure don't need it to get the job done.

True Grit Farms":1yyhe0cu said:
Our grapple is run off a rear remote, maybe M5 will put his :2cents: worth in on this topic. He's been running our grapple cleaning up his mess for a week. I think it's all what you get use to. A 3rd function is definitely nicer but you sure don't need it to get the job done.
Work took most of my daylight hours this week but got to spend several hours on it today. With his set up you can actually hit the lever with your arm while hand is on joystick. But my tractor still has 2 sticks so it's a step up as I see it . Growing up both of our loader tractor ran off the remotes.

sstterry":3hehnmfu said:
I am toying with the idea of getting a grapple for one of my tractors. None of them have third function capability. Has anyone run a hose from the rear hydraulics to the front of the tractor to obtain third function capability?

Yup - it works well

Not a grapple but a lot of people here have tobacco bale squeeze on a loader ran off the back all seem happy.

comes down to what's "nice" and what's "needed".. if you have to pick up a few hundred bales a day with a time crunch, just get the 3rd function.. if you take a bale or two out to the cows every day,.. plumb it in to the remotes..

Would at least give you time to shop around for prices.

When I was working at the Kubota dealership, we hooked lots of grapples up to Kubotas using the power beyond port either on the block beside the transmission or the PB port on the loader valve itself. Parts counter raised cain about as they wanted to sell an additional 3rd function valve instead, but "customer is always right".
With all the electronics nowadays, that may not be possible any more.

Latest posts