Thinking of moving to Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot":2s7c5e5h said:
I wonder now, what I was thinking, but about 11 years ago I bought 9.5 acres kinda between Odessa and Midland. I was going to winter there in my old age. I sold it a few years ago. Came to the realization, that I can never truely retire.
Doggone it. Bet some oil company already come along now and punched an oil well right in the middle of that 9 acres Bigfoot. :shock: :lol: :lol:

Doggone it. Bet some oil company already come along now and punched an oil well right in the middle of that 9 acres Bigfoot. :shock: :lol: :lol:
More than likely, some topless joint with a big parking lot....

SoILcattle":2ae0wl0g said:
Been doing a little looking on the internet myself.
7500 per acre is out of my budget, is that the going rate for property in your area?
I sold 17.4 acres, fenced, cleared, with a small pond, an all but unlivable & tiny 1 bdroom house, a big open sided pole barn and a 22 x22 fully enclosed pole shed on it, highway frontage (farm to market road), IN 100 yr flood plain, for $120K and turned down $135K (if I would finance it myself) Comes out close to $6900/ac. It saw 3-7ft of water on every inch of it last Sept.

There's 24.1 acres a barbed wire fence away from it that just got market appraised for $57.6K asking price, but it borders a river and floods worse and more often than the 17.4 acres does, and 3x as bad as mine does..all wooded except maybe 3-4 acres, with little or zero marketable timber except pulpwood, and 20 billion skeeters/acre. It does have 200amp elec service on it tho. 45 miles North of Houston, surrounded by National Forest...and me on the South side. (It will sell for that and probably then some.)
Both properties are just to the left of this picture:

Come on down, git you some of this.... :lol: :lol:

SoILcattle":2za3v3f4 said:
7500 per acre is out of my budget, is that the going rate for property in your area?

Pretty much. We are on the fringe of the DFW metroplex and prices keep climbing.

slick4591":3hs5ajki said:
SoILcattle":3hs5ajki said:

Pretty much. We are on the fringe of the DFW metroplex and prices keep climbing.
Amazing how much city folks hankering to get out of town will pay...............one would think lenders would at least raise an eyebrow on some of the prices we have been seeing..

Bigfoot":3c5lo0bx said:
I wonder now, what I was thinking, but about 11 years ago I bought 9.5 acres kinda between Odessa and Midland. I was going to winter there in my old age. I sold it a few years ago. Came to the realization, that I can never truely retire.

Guy I work with just sold 10 acres in the same area closer to midland for a million cash. I hope you didn't take any less than that.

Craig Miller":9xhe8rib said:
Bigfoot":9xhe8rib said:

Guy I work with just sold 10 acres in the same area closer to midland for a million cash. I hope you didn't take any less than that.

What kind of growth has that area gone through?

Bigfoot":221tslel said:
Craig Miller":221tslel said:
Bigfoot":221tslel said:

:shock: ..... MAJOR OIL BOOM

Bigfoot":awf1rqc0 said:
Craig Miller":awf1rqc0 said:
Bigfoot":awf1rqc0 said:

Exponential. You can't rent an apartment for less than 1500 a month. You cant get a house on a quarter acre for less than 150k. Thats in new subdivisions where you can touch the walls of the houses if you stretch your arms out. I wouldn't think you'd want to retire there either though.

Craig Miller":yju68hhh said:
Bigfoot":yju68hhh said:
Craig Miller":yju68hhh said:

Exponential. You can't rent an apartment for less than 1500 a month. You cant get a house on a quarter acre for less than 150k. Thats in new subdivisions where you can touch the walls of the houses if you stretch your arms out. I wouldn't think you'd want to retire there either though.

It was between the two cities. Side road, but was blacktop. It did have what we would call county water on that road. I think I bought it around 05 or 06. Gave 9K for 9.5 acres. Like to have never sold it a few years later for 13K. Between property taxes and title search, and transfer, I didn't even break even. My claim to fame, I never set foot on it. A neighbor had my number, and used to raise cain, because it was growing up. Please tell me, I didn't lose a fortune on it.

Well in today's market you could sell it easily I think. You probably left some money on the table but not enough to lose any sleep over. By the way, do you have any more land for sale out there?

Craig Miller":3q0zmh9h said:
Well in today's market you could sell it easily I think. You probably left some money on the table but not enough to lose any sleep over. By the way, do you have any more land for sale out there?
me too...me too!!
(wife and I would love to move back out to West part of Texas..)

Craig Miller":3o3zb80l said:

I was reasonably sure, that when I purchased it, I paid too much. We weren't talking about a huge sum of money anyway. It was listed with a realtor, and had been for sale, for some time. I don't really know anybody in that area. With my profession, I knew some people I could call in the area to check out the property. They looked at it, and said it would fit my needs (a place to park a LQ trailer, and graze a horse, public land near by). I should have kept it, as I still myself doing that someday. I just can't imagine me actually going through with the plan, or taking time away from the farm.

Bigfoot":16efkxax said:
Craig Miller":16efkxax said:

I was reasonably sure, that when I purchased it, I paid too much. We weren't talking about a huge sum of money anyway. It was listed with a realtor, and had been for sale, for some time. I don't really know anybody in that area. With my profession, I knew some people I could call in the area to check out the property. They looked at it, and said it would fit my needs (a place to park a LQ trailer, and graze a horse, public land near by). I should have kept it, as I still myself doing that someday. I just can't imagine me actually going through with the plan, or taking time away from the farm.

What was appealing about that country to you?

Brute 23":2yldz9bj said:
Bigfoot":2yldz9bj said:
Craig Miller":2yldz9bj said:

What was appealing about that country to you?

After living in amongst the beauty of Tennessee, it would be hard to recognize the beauty of west Texas. The landscape is so much different. If you decide to do it though I would recommend a different area than midland/odessa. With the oil boom the cost of living is crazy high. Not to mention the amount of people there.

SoILcattle":3jzox74b said:
I think I may plan a family "vacation" to Texas this spring.

These are the areas I'd look in. If you do make a trip, remember Texas is huge. You won't be able to stay in one place and just drive around and see it all.