think you can make a living as a cow-calf man - think again!

Help Support CattleToday:

CB land owners, if they choose to use the system, are the largest welfare resips in the country..What do you think the farm Bill is about...If you own land there are some great programs out there.. The rapiarn buffer(on my creek banks) I planted 180 feet either side in trees for a total of17.5 ac.The gov. gave me 3500 $ to sign up..Witch I used to plant,buy,and spray the trees the frist year....The gov then reimbursed me 90% of my cost..I signed up for 15 years and they then pay a 125$ per ac., per year for 15 years.... Sweet deal, and the deer and birds love it....Total over the 15 years is about 38,000$ in my pocket...I do have to pay fed taxes,o' darn,, but thethe yearly 2250$ (from this program alone) has in the past paided for my 100 round rolls of hay.

Caustic Burno":kxre0dqt said:
There is no difference in alftn as we have to pay more taxes to support him as well.
If you can make a go of it on your farm why should we pay more tax dollars to subsidize those that can't.

Caustic believe me when I say we are not paying more taxes to subsidize any farmer or other welfare programs. That is exactly what the crooks in Washington want you to believe and always will say. We pay more taxes to line their pockets whether it be directly or indirectly with their ingenius schemes to make it all look fair, what a joke.

alftn":x3cstvl7 said:
CB land owners, if they choose to use the system, are the largest welfare resips in the country..What do you think the farm Bill is about...If you own land there are some great programs out there.. The rapiarn buffer(on my creek banks) I planted 180 feet either side in trees for a total of17.5 ac.The gov. gave me 3500 $ to sign up..Witch I used to plant,buy,and spray the trees the frist year....The gov then reimbursed me 90% of my cost..I signed up for 15 years and they then pay a 125$ per ac., per year for 15 years.... Sweet deal, and the deer and birds love it....Total over the 15 years is about 38,000$ in my pocket...I do have to pay fed taxes,o' darn,, but thethe yearly 2250$ (from this program alone) has in the past paided for my 100 round rolls of hay.

At least your man enough to admit your on the welfare system I will give you that.
I have nothing against disater assitance from Tornadoes and such as I think it is my duty to help other Americans in trouble and to get back on there feet.
I have real problems to pay 30,000+ dollars in taxes every year for Americans to produce or do nothing.
Why should I pay you not to farm?
Why should any American taxpayer pay you not to farm?

alftn":2gz7ms08 said:

Best I can tell from your figures, I had to clean around 250 toilets, and sweep, mop and buff about 1,000 hours of grocery stores last year to pay for all your welfare money. All that and I did not even get a thank you card. :x

Caustic Burno":2494md3h said:
alftn":2494md3h said:
Cattle farming is simple to me.....I bought a farm,took 15 years to pay for it....Did in the start let a row croper work it for me on , I got 1/4 he got 3/4....after about ten years..I changed plans..Now I get 100% of the goverment( averged 5500 a year) and run about 50 ac. under wire 25 cows plus calves..Another 27 ac. in wild life buffers (trees and nwsg) no cows...The cattle have really clean the place up, I eat lots of beef , and the cows just about break even, a little exter...But I sure do love them cows....new calves are a wonderful feeling...and has become a part of my family routine ( grand kids love to ride 4 wheeler and feed cows) ...It, the cattle aint a living, it a life style...somethings money can not buy....

So you are on Welfare thats 5500 in taxes other Americans
had to pay.

Oops, think I'll put my point on the new "welfare thread".

Cowdirt":12lz0hzs said:
Caustic Burno":12lz0hzs said:
alftn":12lz0hzs said:
Cattle farming is simple to me.....I bought a farm,took 15 years to pay for it....Did in the start let a row croper work it for me on , I got 1/4 he got 3/4....after about ten years..I changed plans..Now I get 100% of the goverment( averged 5500 a year) and run about 50 ac. under wire 25 cows plus calves..Another 27 ac. in wild life buffers (trees and nwsg) no cows...The cattle have really clean the place up, I eat lots of beef , and the cows just about break even, a little exter...But I sure do love them cows....new calves are a wonderful feeling...and has become a part of my family routine ( grand kids love to ride 4 wheeler and feed cows) ...It, the cattle aint a living, it a life style...somethings money can not buy....

So you are on Welfare thats 5500 in taxes other Americans had to pay.

Caustic, is there any row cropping currently being done on your farm/ranch? Is there any row crop acreage alotments on your farm/ranch?

Be careful Caustic I smell a loaded question :lol:

Ok fellas....where do I sign up for the ride on the gravy train?
I'm willing to keep records and send in reports for some of that rainbow stew and free bubble-up. Thank goodness that I had a town job or I probably wouldn't qualify for social security in a few years...some grant $$$ would buy some extra alfalfa and maybe even some corn if the prices don't go up again.
Dave Mc

aplusmnt":1xd0ohyv said:
Cowdirt":1xd0ohyv said:
Caustic Burno":1xd0ohyv said:
alftn":1xd0ohyv said:

Caustic, is there any row cropping currently being done on your farm/ranch? Is there any row crop acreage alotments on your farm/ranch?

No row croping here unless you count the Mrs vegatable garden.
Still no answer how is a row cropper, a cattle operation, a guy in the projects or the illegal alien that uses the anchor baby any different? They all are taking tax payer dollars for not doing something.
Next time you start complaining about the welfare system or taxes think about that last welfare check you cashed.

badaxemoo":33jhfn16 said:
johndeerefarmer":33jhfn16 said:
This months Farm Journal has a chart showing dollars per cow profit for a Kansas cow-calf herd. In 2004, profit was $150 per calf. For 2006 and 2007 expect less than $50 per head profit.

The point is, for all of the beginners you cannot expect to make a living from your small herd. Don't even buy it for that reason. If you love the land and being outside and like an expensive hobby, then by all means buy a piece of land and move to the country. Most beginners have such large expenditures in land, equipment, cattle and supplies that they will be lucky to have ANY profit for the first 10 years much less make a living from the land.

How many of you want to run 300 head and make $15000 year?
You have to love this profession to stay in it... :D

Trying to have a small, profitable conventional cow-calf herd seems to me to be as challenging as trying to make a profit farming 80 acres of conventional corn and soybeans.

Why not try to find a niche to direct market to and finish animals on your own farm?

In the area I live the demand for organic or sustainably raised pastured meat products is outstripping the supply. I know I can't make a profit at the sale barn, but I am hoping I will be able to be in the black with our beef, pork, and chicken in three more years if my current projections are accurate.

If I'm wrong, the livestock will be leaving the farm. As much as I enjoy having critters, farming without profit is just a hobby, and I think I can find less frustrating ways to spend my leisure time.

This is exactly what I have done. There is no way I can keep up with the true cow/calf operations. What I can do is let people come out from the city, see all they happy cows on summer pasture, show them the finishing ration, and let them choose what steer is the best.

I charge by hanging weight. I make more per head than anyone around here by a long shot, but I can only sell a limited number this way.

I can not give up my day job, but wife was able to.

As to follow the welfare trend this thread has taken, I have had to pay income tax on the farm all but years 1 and 3.

aplusmnt":2s4o4u94 said:
Cowdirt":2s4o4u94 said:
Caustic Burno":2s4o4u94 said:
alftn":2s4o4u94 said:

ssshh! How can I sneak up on the old geezer with you helping him? :lol:

Latest posts