think you can make a living as a cow-calf man - think again!

Help Support CattleToday:

If Ranchers Where Making So Little We Would Not See Many Ranchers In The Business Also I Think With A Good Business Plan You Can Make A Small Scale Seedstock Ranch Break Even Or Turn A Small Profit. Starting Off Owning The Land Helps You Would Still Need Your Day Job, But This Is What I Think You Can Do With
45 Head Of Cattle :
10 Breeding Stock Bulls Average $2,200 $22,000 +-
12 Breeding Stock Heifers Average $1,200 $14,400 +-
3 Breeding Stock Heifers Kept As Replacements
1 Cull Cow Average $ 800 $ 800 +-
20 Steer & Heifers Weanlings Sold At Local Sale Barn
Average $500 $10,000 +-
Total Of All Cattle Sales $47,200 A Year

Charge People To Come Out For Hay Ride Expericance Country Life, Other Money Making Things ( Selling Feed To People To Feed Calves, Sell Drinks & Food, Raffle Tickets, Other Million Ways)

Total Of Tourism Sales $5,800+ A Year

Grand Total Of Sales $53,000 + A Year

- Oat Hay For Feed At $50 Ton Buy 80 Tons $4,000 +-
- Cob At 100 - 200 Ton Buy 20 Tons At $2,000 +
- Supplents / Supplies $1,500 +-
- Water bill for the year $2,400 +-
- Org. Dues / Other $10,100 +-
Total Expenses For Cattle Operation $20,000 +

Can Make $33,000 With A Good Business Plan

Dont Get Me Wrong This Takes Years To Get Your Herd Up To 45 Without Buying Them All In A Short Amount Of Years Also To Get Your Cattle Rep. Up To Let Ranchers Know Your Cattle Can Perform There Not Gonna Fall Apart But For Sure It Can Be Done All It Takes Is A Strong Back Bone And Years

Your Day Job Will Pay For Land Payment Or Lease
Other Bills Phone, Internet,Car,Insuarance
The Cattle Business Will Help Where It Can

BTRANCH":jwnp3dhr said:
This is probably gonna make Caustic's head spin, but I don't expect to make a true profit for at least 10 years. We are still building our herd up, but my next goal is 10 calves per year to sell. I am using $500 as a reasonable sale price. This $5,000 will offset my feed costs and pay the taxes on my land. This does nothing to recover the cost of my tractor, trailer, fencing, pens, and other misc equipment. I am not even talking about my land costs.

I have decided this cow business is the most expensive hobby I could have picked. Whoever said you have to spend money to make money was not in the cattle business. For all the money I have spent, I should be a millionaire. :lol:
Besides land costs if you are thrifty and handy and don't buy a trailor when you have 15 cows then fence should be your one big cost. On the other hand the people that plan on having fifteen cows and spend $10,000+ on a tractor put there self in to big of a hole. Alot of the problems I see with farmers around here is they have access to money and live outside there means. People say there isn't money in farming, so maybe you can't afford a new truck, but it can still be a good life. I wouldn't think this if I wasn't so cheap and hadn't such modest needs.

Cattle farming is simple to me.....I bought a farm,took 15 years to pay for it....Did in the start let a row croper work it for me on , I got 1/4 he got 3/4....after about ten years..I changed plans..Now I get 100% of the goverment( averged 5500 a year) and run about 50 ac. under wire 25 cows plus calves..Another 27 ac. in wild life buffers (trees and nwsg) no cows...The cattle have really clean the place up, I eat lots of beef , and the cows just about break even, a little exter...But I sure do love them cows....new calves are a wonderful feeling...and has become a part of my family routine ( grand kids love to ride 4 wheeler and feed cows) ...It, the cattle aint a living, it a life style...somethings money can not buy....

tncattle":3ldzdre5 said:
Wow, to think most of our beef we consume comes from people making little to know $. The economy must not be too bad if we have all these people making basically nothing on cattle and continuing to do it. In other words, if they can raise cattle with no profit they must be making good $ from somewhere else. Or a lot of people are living broke and miles and miles in debt. Can you say credit cards? No credit cards for me though.

You are correct, most are making money somewhere else seeing how the average Cattleman has like 25 head. If someone can make a living on 25 head then I would love to meet them. So obviously most are not supporting their families off of their cattle.

You are correct, most are making money somewhere else seeing how the average Cattleman has like 25 head. If someone can make a living on 25 head then I would love to meet them. So obviously most are not supporting their families off of their cattle.

Thus comes the inconsistency in beef and lower prices overall because of.

MikeC":1jdlaq2e said:

Yea I am just happy that no one is taking up Janitor work as a hobby, I would be screwed. :lol:

aplusmnt":lpfw21go said:
MikeC":lpfw21go said:

Yea I am just happy that no one is taking up Janitor work as a hobby, I would be screwed. :lol:

Thanks for helping me make my point. ;-)

auctionboy":3ngog4wf said:
Besides land costs if you are thrifty and handy and don't buy a trailor when you have 15 cows then fence should be your one big cost. On the other hand the people that plan on having fifteen cows and spend $10,000+ on a tractor put there self in to big of a hole. Alot of the problems I see with farmers around here is they have access to money and live outside there means. People say there isn't money in farming, so maybe you can't afford a new truck, but it can still be a good life. I wouldn't think this if I wasn't so cheap and hadn't such modest needs.
Hey guys don't get me wrong, I love what we are doing. And you are right about being handy and thrifty. Everything we own is second hand, fix em uppers, or cast offs. We have a small trailer and a old, old tractor that is sitting on 4 flats (sound familiar to anyone?) The only consolation to that is no one can steal it!

I would love a new tractor with a bucket and cab but that is not in the cards for us for awhile. I cannot justify the expense. The only thing I would say we indulged in was our 1 ton Ford truck.

You are also right about the fence. We have been stringing barb wire for almost 3 years now. Just when I think we are done, my husband decides to upgrade another section. He has turned me into quite a good field hand. I can run the brush hog, the auger, box blade, string barb wire, haul 50lb feed sacks, and I am even learning how to use the cutting torch. But whatelse would I do with my free time?

alftn":26j1b6ay said:
Cattle farming is simple to me.....I bought a farm,took 15 years to pay for it....Did in the start let a row croper work it for me on , I got 1/4 he got 3/4....after about ten years..I changed plans..Now I get 100% of the goverment( averged 5500 a year) and run about 50 ac. under wire 25 cows plus calves..Another 27 ac. in wild life buffers (trees and nwsg) no cows...The cattle have really clean the place up, I eat lots of beef , and the cows just about break even, a little exter...But I sure do love them cows....new calves are a wonderful feeling...and has become a part of my family routine ( grand kids love to ride 4 wheeler and feed cows) ...It, the cattle aint a living, it a life style...somethings money can not buy....

So you are on Welfare thats 5500 in taxes other Americans had to pay.

BTRANCH":2yizjdva said:
This is probably gonna make Caustic's head spin, but I don't expect to make a true profit for at least 10 years. We are still building our herd up, but my next goal is 10 calves per year to sell. I am using $500 as a reasonable sale price. This $5,000 will offset my feed costs and pay the taxes on my land. This does nothing to recover the cost of my tractor, trailer, fencing, pens, and other misc equipment. I am not even talking about my land costs.

I have decided this cow business is the most expensive hobby I could have picked. Whoever said you have to spend money to make money was not in the cattle business. For all the money I have spent, I should be a millionaire. :lol:

I have no doubt you will make it pay for itself in a few years, you are one of the very few that I have read on here going in with your eyes open.
You have a reasonable price on your calf crop just not your numbers it should be more like 4500 dollars as your are going to loose calfs. You might not loose a one this year and four the next.

johndeerefarmer":b5brkepx said:
Doesn't matter if you are above average or not, the point is to let the beginners know that they cannot make a full time living without a HUGE operation.

Do it because you enjoy it, or as a hobby or as a retirement farm, not do it to get rich for it ain't gonna happen

For those that say it can't be done, got out to the way of those doing it!

handydandy":1kartrb6 said:
johndeerefarmer":1kartrb6 said:
Doesn't matter if you are above average or not, the point is to let the beginners know that they cannot make a full time living without a HUGE operation.

Do it because you enjoy it, or as a hobby or as a retirement farm, not do it to get rich for it ain't gonna happen

For those that say it can't be done, got out to the way of those doing it!
============
Best post yet............. on this thread.

I have been in the cow/calf business for a long time and have found making a profit is not hard for me. On the other hand making a decent living from this business, or as in my case half of my living, is very hard with the cost of living rising ever year. My folks paid the hospital $438.00 for having me delivered via C section forty some years ago (see how far $438.00 goes in a hospital today). On top of this is the rising cost of calf production. The price of fertilizer has about doubled in the last 20 years. A new 50-60 HP major brand utility tractor that cost $12,000 20 years ago runs around $20,000 today. The fuel for that tractor that cost $.60-.80 per gallon 20 years ago is above $2.00 per gallon nowdays. Feed prices have shot through the roof in just the last year alone. Cattle prices have been pretty good for a while now, but they have not kept pace with rising costs of production and the rising costs of living. I love being in the cattle business but it is to the point that on a lot of days I ask myself why do I it with so little profit.

Yell CA welfare, there is a web site ,forget the address , that tell what the goverment pays out and to whom...At the start I did not like the goverment checks, but i got over it..Just like tax right off, at frist I let lots of things slide not any more....But as example two of the largest farmers in my county got over a million dollars in welfare last year alone...Thes guys did not build there farm from scratch..the were given the by their parents..The largest farmer around...they get the most welfare....I do not feel bad anymore....Take my 50 ac of cotton ground, the goverment pays me not to grow cotton,same with beans , wheat and not even corn....At the same time I can run cows on it.....The neary 200 ac. we own,was not given to me ,We work hard to pay for it...

alftn":iwypuekp said:
Yell CA welfare, there is a web site ,forget the address , that tell what the goverment pays out and to whom...At the start I did not like the goverment checks, but i got over it..Just like tax right off, at frist I let lots of things slide not any more....But as example two of the largest farmers in my county got over a million dollars in welfare last year alone...Thes guys did not build there farm from scratch..the were given the by their parents..The largest farmer around...they get the most welfare....I do not feel bad anymore....Take my 50 ac of cotton ground, the goverment pays me not to grow cotton,same with beans , wheat and not even corn....At the same time I can run cows on it.....The neary 200 ac. we own,was not given to me ,We work hard to pay for it...

Your no different than the guy in New Orleans that takes a welfare check for doing nothing. You can justify in your mind anyway you want your lining your pockets with American taxpayer dollars.

Caustic Burno":27w0i5yt said:
alftn":27w0i5yt said:

Caustic,

There is a difference, the guy in New Orleans more than likely sits around on his/her butt all day and night and does nothing.

Your no different than the guy in New Orleans that takes a welfare check for doing nothing. You can justify in your mind anyway you want your lining your pockets with American taxpayer dollars.

alftn may be the only one on here that admits it...but im sure he isnt the only one on here that takes it!! i take nothing and never will...and most wouldnt have to if they didnt try to live outside there means...like i said we dont even have a tractor...heck yes i want one..dragging big round bales out with a chain and your truck sucks!! but it saves me a payment every month that would cut into our profit..we might not run the most fancy farm in the state..but at least were not in the hole and we are turning a profit

tncattle":205ehztu said:
Caustic Burno":205ehztu said:
alftn":205ehztu said:

Caustic,

There is a difference, the guy in New Orleans more than likely sits around on his/her butt all day and night and does nothing.

They are same they just don't want to admit it. The guy that had to raise 11 more calves and take operating expense's out made and worked for 150 dollars profit. He got 5500 dolllars profit for doing absolutely nothing, thats welfare. Thats a hand out might as well sign up for food stamps as well.

Caustic Burno":1ccd6ngt said:
tncattle":1ccd6ngt said:
Caustic Burno":1ccd6ngt said:
alftn":1ccd6ngt said:

Caustic,

They are same they just don't want to admit it. The guy that had to raise 11 more calves and take operating expense's out made and worked for 150 dollars profit. He got 5500 dolllars profit for doing absolutely nothing, thats welfare. Thats a hand out might as well sign up for food stamps as well.

Well, I've never taken any kind of welfare but I'll tell you most if not all the people in the inner city take welfare and do absolutely nothing. So they are not paying into the system ( no ncome=no taxes) I don't take any gov. money but I'm sure tired of them taking a lot my own hard earned money.

There is no difference in alftn as we have to pay more taxes to support him as well.
If you can make a go of it on your farm why should we pay more tax dollars to subsidize those that can't.

Latest posts