think I'll just buy him..

Help Support CattleToday:

Lazy M

Reaction score
I give up. I'd planned to introduce the 2 new SimAng bulls to the ladies in another week or two, but this morning I find the neighbor's char bull has crashed the party..again. This bull has been a thorn in my side for the last 4-5 years. The neighbor is running anout 12 cows with this bull and he has way too much free time on his hands.. And no amount of fence is going to stop him.. The neighbor is in his seventies and in need of 2 new knees, he's a wonderful guy but can't keep up with things. The bull looks pretty good, and I've actually been happy with the performance of the calves that he throws me.

It is just a little frustrating..Guess I just need to go with the flow?

You can just trailer him up, ship him to me and tell neighbor you haven't seen him--I'm looking for new blood anyway.

greybeard":2e6fjesq said:
You can just trailer him up, ship him to me and tell neighbor you haven't seen him--I'm looking for new blood anyway.
I'll make you a good deal. Doubt that he has papers but the sucker is long and thick. plus, last year I saved back around 20 replacements. I had them in a field about 100 acres away from the neighbor's. This same fool bull went through 3 fences to get to them. He was with them probably around 4 days before I got him out. 7 of their calves are white and all came with no problem..so he's heifer-acceptable!

I've told him that if he sold his bull he could use one of mine during the fall but his cows calf all yr round and he didn't want to delay any calving.

Your neighbour can be as nice as he wants to be, but he's affecting your business. Work out a resolution with him, or deal with it accordingly.

In Some situations being a nice person doesn't cut it . I'd tell him to either keep his bull on his side of the fence or you will be sending his bull to the sale barn for him.

TennesseeTuxedo":1w7qn9ia said:
Neighbor has 12 cows and you obviously have many more. I agree that you should buy his bull and from now on agree to provide him a bull for 60 days during his designated breeding season?

That is what we do with the neighbor on one of our places. We turn him in his place after our breeding season, with the agreement that he has to graze him till fall. Works great for both of us. He does not have to keep a bull and we do not have to feed him all summer. Best of all neither one of us has to fix fence from bulls fighting.

Lazy M":1qyx4aa6 said:
I've told him that if he sold his bull he could use one of mine during the fall but his cows calf all yr round and he didn't want to delay any calving.

Ask him if he'll sell his bull, and you'll let one of yours run with his cows year-round ... except for your ____ day breeding window when you need him to come back home. Your neighbor is only without a bull for 60-90 days, which is hardly as big of an inconvenience to him than having his bull break down fences (that you end up repairing) to breed your cows (which produce calves that aren't part of your plan).

Good luck sorting this out. I don't envy you.

You are obviously a very good neighbor and you have seemed to bend over backwards to do so. I can also appreciate you neighbors physical condition as well. But the up-keep of his livestock is his responsibility. His bull's disrepair to your fences is also his responsibility.

You may also consider the fact that the bull may still continue to flip-flop between farms so you may continue to have a problem that you do not want.

Get yourself a big, mean , surly Brahman Bull with a bad attitude and call it a day !!!!!!!

Or build yourself some one way gates into your property that will make it easy for the bull to get in and hard for him to get back home. Feed him well and everytime your neighbor calls take 3 or 4 days to run him back home.

Well I got him corralled. Did I mention that he's kind of wild? Kind of high headed.. He never made a play for me, but I think that he seriously considered it. Think that me and the neighbor need to have a serious talk before I give him back possession..

tdarden3k":1klp6ua2 said:
You are obviously a very good neighbor and you have seemed to bend over backwards to do so. I can also appreciate you neighbors physical condition as well. But the up-keep of his livestock is his responsibility. His bull's disrepair to your fences is also his responsibility.

You may also consider the fact that the bull may still continue to flip-flop between farms so you may continue to have a problem that you do not want.

Get yourself a big, mean , surly Brahman Bull with a bad attitude and call it a day !!!!!!!
I think that this bull would whip any Brahma that you put in front of him. I'd guess that he goes for close to 2k lbs (maybe more).

Lazy M":3t6m2sgi said:
Well I got him corralled. Did I mention that he's kind of wild? Kind of high headed.. He never made a play for me, but I think that he seriously considered it. Think that me and the neighbor need to have a serious talk before I give him back possession..

+bajillion

Good luck with that!

To follow-up on my last post, the char bull busted out of my barn where I had him corralled and must have got in with an older angus bull that I was keeping penned behind the barn and then tore thru a fence and got off of the farm. I never saw the char bull again but just the after math. Had to herd up my bull (grazing by the road), fix a hole in my fence, and re-hang the barn gate. I called the neighbor and explained that I had no idea where his bull ended up, but that I'd help him track him down if needed. He said not to worry about it..
I haven't spoke to the neighbor since but ran into him this morning, and asked about the bull. He said that he found him a few days later on another neighbor's. He and that neighbor put him into a barn, but he said that the bull had turned loco and would attack anyone that tried to get close to him. He said that the bull acted like he couldn't hold his head up, but almost killed him when they tried to load him on a trailer. He had a vet out to look at him and the vet thought that he may have had a broken neck. After a couple days he said that he died (I kinda think that he shot him).

Wow, that was an adventure. Bulls can cause some issues thats for sure. My neighbors bull showed up at my place last spring and then mine went visiting at his place this fall. I finally had enough and added a lot of electric wire on my fences. That seems to have stopped the need to travel.

Latest posts