Things you can't live without....

Help Support CattleToday:

SaskHerf

Reaction score
This is maybe the wrong place for this, but what the heck. I had a conversation with my dad the other day about wants and needs and this being the first few days of the new year i thought it would be a neat exercise for everyone to think about what they have and couldn't live without (needs) and what luxury items they have that they could get by without (wants). I have been thinking alot aout this lately with cattle markets going into a downward trend, margins will get tight and we all know there is spots we could shave operating costs.

Scott

P.S. - I guess i should start

I couldn't live without our handling facility at home, best money i ever spent, and it saves so much time and grief.

i could get by without our MFWD Case MX 135 tractor, a definate luxury..

I'm interested to hear more about the handling facilities, I'm in the market for an upgrade and have been asking many opinions on what other people are happy with. Photos would also be appreciated if you have the time.

KNERSIE, we made them out of wood, which i am sure we will regret down the road, but the cost was alot cheaper. It includes a squeeze chute and crowding tub so cattle flow through pretty well. I'll get pictures if i can sometime.

SaskHerf":286grexs said:
KNERSIE, we made them out of wood, which i am sure we will regret down the road, but the cost was alot cheaper. It includes a squeeze chute and crowding tub so cattle flow through pretty well. I'll get pictures if i can sometime.

Thanks, I am very interested in self built facilities. Even just a free hand diagram will do.

Couldn;t live without my wife, friends are luxurys. Could be why I don;t have any!

In todays environement, unfortunately gasoling and elctricity are necessitys. Given those 2 things you can produce about anything else you need, or get somewhere that you can acquire them.

I couldn't live without my kids. The luxury I couldn't do without is the frontend loader on my tractor. It's the best thing since sliced bread.

KNERSIE":19230h3l said:
SaskHerf":19230h3l said:

Thanks, I am very interested in self built facilities. Even just a free hand diagram will do.

KNERSIE-- Maybe this will help. Somebody (I think it was Caustic) posted this awhile back and I saved it.

http://www.cps.gov.on.ca/english/bc1000/beef.htm

Besides my family the one thing I wouldn't want to do without is my skid steer. We use it for everything from handling manure and feeding to building fence. We have use it break that stubborn heifer to lead or force that nasty bull on the trailer. We purchased our first one 25 years ago and I wouldn't want to farm without one.

I couldn't live without duct tape. When you really need to bind angry crocodilian jaws together, and the medical tape breaks, the duct tape you laid on top of the medical tape will always hold up (knock on wood).

I also couldn't live without my job. I love every minute of it.

Well after thinking a bit on this I guess I am most thankful for my good health that allows me to do what I enjoy.
My children are the most important part of my life. And the thing I am most enamored with right now is the boot drier that I got for Christmas, it is wonderful to put your feet in warm boots in the morning!

I would have to say besides my family and friends, what I could not live without is my horses.
As for luxury a new working facilities for our cattle with the crowding tub.

Of course family & friends are a must, but outside of that there isn't much we couldn't go without. We run 150 cows and are steadily expanding, and the only equipment we have is an '84 Chev with a Jiffy bale-handler. I have rented a tractor from time to time from the neighbor - meaning I use it and then help them at brandings/calving to repay my "debt" - but only when we get snowed in.

If I had a plow on the front of the Chevy, I could probably call myself self-sufficient. :lol: The one thing the wife and I are very grateful for, is taking the time to educate ourselves. We attend workshops and courses whenever possible, taking what we learn and applying it to our own situation. We recently took a 6-day Holistic Management course, which was nothing short of life-changing. Sort of like "Ranching for Profit", but with more focus on quality of life and family.JMO :D I'm very glad we did it.

Knersie, i just built mine this summer. I was going to get the powder river system but it didn't fit my area and was $4000 more than wood. so we made the tub and alley out of wood and bought the powder river XL manual chute, preg. gate, alley roll gate, and tru-test scales. I really like the powder river chute and equipment. The chutes allow you to get a good hold on the cattle because of the long handles. We built our shelter and corral together and designed a loading chute and stalls to hold animals after being worked.
I recommend designing it on a piece of paper then going to the area and laying it off on the ground to make sure it fits your area and needs.

A mans wealth is not judged by what he has , but by what he does not need... Six grandkids, wonderful sons, and beautiful wife....I could want the world, but I would not trade what I have for it....May you all be so lucky...

Running water ,indoor plumbing and electricity/heat.Also my new range now that I have it and the creep feeder.

But seriously fresh water and a roof over our heads and food to eat.Everything else just makes life enjoyable and easier.I think we take the little things for granted.

Also all my pets they make my life worthwhile and my days alone not so lonley.

Latest posts