Things to alway's have on hand

Help Support CattleToday:

peacemaker

Reaction score
Still new to this but determined to do everything right.
Can you guy's give me a little advice on the things that should alway's be in the barn just in case you need it.

I have the following:

bloat release liquid
trocar
Iodine
castration bander & bands
calf snare and leg catcher
gloves & lube
pour on fly repellent

Dun, I think I once heard you mention magnets for hardware desease so I picked up some of those and a balling gun.

I know there are probably countless things when you get into med's But what are the things that you just shouldnt be with out if you are raising cattle.
I'm lucky to have good neighbors (mentors) living close by if I get in a jam but would like to have everything on hand if I ever need to call on them.

Good list. Additional things.

Spot light or flash light and lantern.

Fire extinguisher.

amonia for bee, wasp or scorpion stings

Wire and side cutters.

At least one sack of feed for coaxing.

Rope and blocks.

Chain.

Calf puller.

air tank (full of air)

A couple of gallons of clean water, soap, and clean towels

syringes & medicines too like LA200/penicillin etc.

An angle mirror to see inside or in the mouth and they even come in handfy for something in your eye.

If your eyes are getting as bad as mine you probably need to throw a magnifying glass in the med box too.

Needles and string for stitching wounds.

peacemaker":1m3bah9u said:
Still new to this but determined to do everything right.
Can you guy's give me a little advice on the things that should alway's be in the barn just in case you need it.

I have the following:

bloat release liquid
trocar
Iodine
castration bander & bands
calf snare and leg catcher
gloves & lube
pour on fly repellent

Calf puller (provided you know how to use it, you might be able to use a comealong in place of it), ob chains and handles, electrolytes, milk replacer (store in the house and it doesn't get buggy, but whole milk will work in a pinch), GOOD, EFFECTIVE scour tablets/liquid, Baytril, Penicillin, depending on your area - Selenium possibly, syringes (disposible's work just fine, and can be reused if washed out properly) and needles (can also be reused if washed out properly, and are sharp and burr free), blood stopper (flour works in a pinch), good adjustable rope halter, ear tagger and ear tags (depending on how many cows/heifers you have and your ability to tell one calf from another), Esophogeal feeder, bottle and nipple (sheep and calf). That's all I can think of right now, but I'm sure other members will add to it.

I used to say that i didn't need a calf jack because me being a big strong guy could pull any calf that needed pulling.

I don't say that anymore, I can pull almost any calf by hand, if i have to.

Beef11":3jnsyj25 said:
I used to say that i didn't need a calf jack because me being a big strong guy could pull any calf that needed pulling.

I don't say that anymore, I can pull almost any calf by hand, if i have to.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yep, I've heard that before! Amazing how time changes that, isn't it? ;-) :lol: :lol: Now, before you get the wrong idea, I'm not gloating - not a bit - I wouldn't wish the debilities or problems that come with age on my worst enemy! It's just that the 'macho' attitude gets a little tiresome after a while - say 45 years! :)

Texas ranch man.. Sounds like you had a bad experience.I hope not... Anyway thanks Everyone... Lots of good info.
I'm sure this will help others as well as myself.
If were going to raise cattle we owe it to them to be prepaired if they should need our help.

Duct tape and bailing wire---can't run a proper operation without them!!!

Thermometer....
Sorting stick...or shovel handle...or hot shot
Coveralls...

Sounds like you are getting set up for any emergency.
What's your operation's plan...not nosey, just like to see how the other folks run things.
Trocars are great to have when you need one...hate to think of some cow getting a hole poked in it's side when all they had was a fart caught sideways.
Better to have and not need than the other way around...
Good luck to you.
DMc

Thank's peg 4x4
Your right. I alway's heard duct tape can fix anything.
When my kid's were younger somehow they made me a billfold out of duct tape. it lasted longer than my store bought one. :)

Hi Susie david
No special plan. Just want to be ready for anything.
I'm in & out of the farm alot. My Parents are there full time watching over things.They Would probably call the vet if anything went wrong but we're pretty far out in the sticks so I just thought it would be a good Idea to have things on hand.
Plus I Just built my new barn & it's much bigger than the old one. It looks empty so I'm tryin to fill it up a little.
I agree about the trocar and hope I never have a need for it.

All this advice without mention of a good pocketknife? Make that a SHARP pocketknife. I wouldn't know what to do without mine. I reckon I'd just sit out of balance in the saddle without it. Can't even leave the house in the AM without my stone in my back pocket.

D.R. Cattle":boraylxc said:
All this advice without mention of a good pocketknife? Make that a SHARP pocketknife. I wouldn't know what to do without mine. I reckon I'd just sit out of balance in the saddle without it. Can't even leave the house in the AM without my stone in my back pocket.

Good point. I guess I've become so used to carrying one that I don't even think about it anymore. It's automatic - grab the coffee with one hand, and the pocketknife with the other and out the door I go (my cap is already on my head by this point)! :lol: :lol:

You mightalso consider having two ropes. A halter type rope and a lasso type with a quick release honda. If you don't have a store nearby which sells them they can be ordered from Jeffers Vet Supply in Ala.They are on the web at ,I think,Jeffers.com or something similar.Good folks to deal with and I heard they have a top notch repair man for fence chargers. A drench of magnesium oxide will sometimes cure a bloated stomach as will tying a stick sideways in the mouth to stimulate chewing.You will find a lot of good advice on this board.There are afair number of people on here from Va and Wva as well.

Something I seem to use a bunch is Zip Ties. Have a large container with various sizes of Zip Ties in it. Never fails that it comes in handy for something.

Latest posts