things that you have learned are 4sure in raising cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

plbcattle

Reaction score
I have learned that every gate i own when I buy the mid to cheap gate will be smashed,crinkled,and turned to scrap by cattle. If i had to rename my farm it would be the broken gate ranch. I cant count how many gates I have at the farm, but i know that the ones that I bought that were the mid grade(not heavy duty) have all been smashed. I will never buy another cheap gate. i have replaced about 20 and have another 10 that need it now. All the heavy duty gates are still fine. Go figure

Another observation that I must point out. There is a invisible line somewhere around the Arkansas/texas line. If you are north your place is called a farm. If you are south of this line your place is called a ranch. Never could find the approximate line for this but Its somewhere around the state line

two things
1. if you openned a gate for a cow to go through, it's not going to happen. If you accidentally left the gate open cows will walk through every time

2. Just when you think you've got your cows figured out, they go and change the rules

kill's me when one gets behind a gate while the others go through. and they run the fence back and forth bawlin' when a 12 ft hole justs just a few feet away, it's like they go temporaraly blind. or somthing.or they jump a feed trough to get to the other side when they they have access to it on both sides .... and the killer is when they spend all the time trying to beat the others away from the feed while its being eatin all up by the others :p

No such thing as "one cow got out".
This morning we have four from over the hill camped out the other side of the fence...guess they just wanted to join our herd. Haven't heard from the neighbor yet as to when he plans on fetching them back to his place.
DMc

buy the best gates you can.an if you cant buy them all at once its ok.just buy them when you can.cows an bulls can an will push on gates.

I learned a 2000 pd. bull can jump a 5 ft. fence and then turn around and look at us like, what are you gonna do about it?

I have only learned one thing 4sure in raising cattle. There is only one thing 4sure and that's that there is absolutely nothing 4sure raising them!

bigbull338":ve1fctbz said:
buy the best gates you can.an if you cant buy them all at once its ok.just buy them when you can.cows an bulls can an will push on gates.

I've gradually been able to replace all my gates over the years with shopbuilt gates made from 1" square tubing with an upright every 4 feet and homemade hinges to attach them to post. They will give when hit hard but have never had one bend or break. (so far)

If you are wearing your clean clothes and think you can make a quick run out into the pasture to check on one and not get your clothes messed up - you're mistaken.

The things that I have learned that are for sure in raising cattle is:

1. In every bunch of cattle there's always gotta be a nutcase somewhere in there...it just takes a little bit figgering out who. I shouldn't say that, what I should say is that you'll find out sooner or later.

2. There is no perfect cow or bull

3. Cattle are smarter than you think

4. Every cattle producer has their own opinions of what is best and what isn't....that's what makes this board so darn interesting

5. No matter how hard you try, you're gonna lose an animal or two every year. It's the way things are.

6. Patience is key to success...no matter what

7. Anything that can happen will...Murphy's Law prevails on any ranch or farm.

8. Cattle are NOT pets...no matter how wild or tame they are.

CUZ":1ewvkr0o said:
If you are wearing your clean clothes and think you can make a quick run out into the pasture to check on one and not get your clothes messed up - you're mistaken.
Clean clothes only get dirty if you keep them on. Some skirts, heels and jackets are too nice to ruin. Thankfully my neighbours were too far away to see me get down to just my nylons and shirt to pull a calf in the middle of winter... I think. :shock:

Victoria":1bz1iknk said:
CUZ":1bz1iknk said:
Clean clothes only get dirty if you keep them on. Some skirts, heels and jackets are too nice to ruin. Thankfully my neighbours were too far away to see me get down to just my nylons and shirt to pull a calf in the middle of winter... I think. :shock:

OOOOOH. Lordy, I think I'm getting the vapors.

Do you mind if I give you a call for assistance the next time I need to pull one?

(I'd like to see if your "back to nature" approach is more effective than ours.) :)

When replacing gates, feeders, the smashed and bent up ones at an auction sale sell for more than the new ones in the store with the paint still on. All I can figure is that people think the cows will not hit the bent up ones, because they are alreay pre-bent. :banana:

This is just an observation that I noticed today and thought I would post it. How or where does all the dirt that was once in a road go once it gets muddy and turns into muck. With all the rain we have had, I have some pretty nasty mud holes. well they started to dry out and now there is a 2 foot deep hole where the ruts were. Now there is at least a dump truck load of dirt missing from these holes. Where in the heck did the mud(dirt) go. I know some is collected on the tires of the tractor but not a freaking dump truck load. does someone come steal it, I dont understand where it all goes.

plbcattle":2hz5p9ft said:
This is just an observation that I noticed today and thought I would post it. How or where does all the dirt that was once in a road go once it gets muddy and turns into muck. With all the rain we have had, I have some pretty nasty mud holes. well they started to dry out and now there is a 2 foot deep hole where the ruts were. Now there is at least a dump truck load of dirt missing from these holes. Where in the heck did the mud(dirt) go. I know some is collected on the tires of the tractor but not a freaking dump truck load. does someone come steal it, I dont understand where it all goes.

The action of water washing it out and the fact that tires splash it out everytime they go through it is my guess.

plbcattle":1uhbah8z said:

The one that has always amazed me is how a bull will pick a spot and start to throw dirt straight up in the air, none of it lands back in the hole.
Now in short order there will be a hole you could lose a Sherman tank in.