things that you have learned are 4sure in raising cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Pulling a live calf off a teet is more important than breed, genetics or color.

Easy fleshing cattle are normally highly fertile cattle.

Highly fertile easy fleshing cattle are easier to keep in all respects.

You can make raising cattle as difficult as you want.

Wisteria Farms":22t52q15 said:
TexasBred":22t52q15 said:
bigbull338":22t52q15 said:
buy the best gates you can.an if you cant buy them all at once its ok.just buy them when you can.cows an bulls can an will push on gates.

I've gradually been able to replace all my gates over the years with shopbuilt gates made from 1" square tubing with an upright every 4 feet and homemade hinges to attach them to post. They will give when hit hard but have never had one bend or break. (so far)

Texas, we've been looking high and low for square tube panels.. a buddy of ours has them in his calving barn... lots of areas that work together by opening/shutting these panels. What I like best are the heavy metal feed troughs that hang off them.. you don't know anywhere to buy them do you? These don't have an upright every 4 feet but they have staggered uprights (kind of like the way bricks are laid)...

Build them. Build them 20 foot long if you can. Either 1 1/2 inch or 2 inch tube steel. For the uprights you can use 3/4 or 1 inch pipe, bed frame iron, or practically any scrap like that. Weld cow panel to the face of it. The cow panel works like gussets and holds it square. You only have to stitch weld it on. Weld a 1 inch pipe to the end of it and weld a 1 inch sucker rod to the post. You are then done forever.

Why do they even sell 10 foot or 12 foot gates? Why do people buy them? I hate pulling a G/N off of the road through a 14 foot.

I've learned that every person who is around enough cattle with varying levels of docility will at some point get some teeth knocked out or will at the very least be unconscious for a brief period of time. It is inevitable. Seen a counter balance cause more unconsciousness than any other factor.

When a cow is calving, and there is a creek through the pasture, the cow will choose the place with the highest likelihood of the calf going into the creek. Either direct delivery or in those first wobbly moments.
If a creek is not available, they will calve next to a sinkhole.

john250":346771ca said:
When a cow is calving, and there is a creek through the pasture, the cow will choose the place with the highest likelihood of the calf going into the creek. Either direct delivery or in those first wobbly moments.
If a creek is not available, they will calve next to a sinkhole.

John it is a good thing I didn't have coffee or tea in my mouth this time. It would have spewed.

That wouldn't be so doggone funny if I hadn't had to go out into the stock tank to get one, in October.

Just when I think I have got things figured out and going my way, things go the other way and it shows me what idiot I am, ocourse my wife tells me that all the time. :lol2:

CUZ":2dsezpi1 said:
Victoria":2dsezpi1 said:
CUZ":2dsezpi1 said:
Do you mind if I give you a call for assistance the next time I need to pull one?

Sorry, it just isn't the same if it isn't -30 in a snowdrift. ;-) :lol:

I see, if there isn't a high degree of difficulty then it's just too easy, huh. :)

No, sitting in the snowdrift increases motivation- you want to pull fast so you can get back in the warm vehicle! :lol:

Ryder":3hj9bccy said:
Victoria":3hj9bccy said:
CUZ":3hj9bccy said:
If you are wearing your clean clothes and think you can make a quick run out into the pasture to check on one and not get your clothes messed up - you're mistaken.
Clean clothes only get dirty if you keep them on. Some skirts, heels and jackets are too nice to ruin. Thankfully my neighbours were too far away to see me get down to just my nylons and shirt to pull a calf in the middle of winter... I think. :shock:

Victoria, please post pictures. We would like to see your technique for pulling calves. ;-)

There's a scary thought. :shock:

4 sure :lol: never leave a gate open --- never turn your back on ANY bull

you will have some die --- some will be open --- some will have calving problems

some calves will not suck-- and have to be tubed :roll: Mud will prevail

sale barn prices suck--- or will be very good :???: the show heifer will have warts

FLYS: cows dont get horsey fly masks :| Mid summer, where is the rain ???? :?

when entering a pasture hosting a bull, walk softly and carry a big stick. a sure way to gentle a herd of cows is to salt thier backs.

Learn from your mistakes.....and learn to laugh at your own stupidity when it happens. Might as well join the cattle as they're already laughing at you.

Latest posts