things I"d like to know

Help Support CattleToday:

Carlos D.

Reaction score
I see the crows are starting to flock together to go south -how far south do they go ? sure is nice to see the first ones here in the spring.

what time of the year do you start seeding in texas and when do you combine?--- Do you grow oats and barley that far south.

Carlos D.":1f31vds8 said:
I see the crows are starting to flock together to go south -how far south do they go ? sure is nice to see the first ones here in the spring.

what time of the year do you start seeding in texas and when do you combine?--- Do you grow oats and barley that far south.
Oats, wheat and rye and ryegrass are planted in So. Texas.

Wheat is grown in this area. It is planted starting the first week in September (provided you have moisture). Some wheat is combined starting the first week in June, but most of the wheat around here is grazed out due to the very low price of wheat now. Some combine just enough for seed for the next year. I graze all mine out.

ctlbaron":2if1y87y said:
I think they all come to Tennessee.

Oh no, they all come further south to FL. In another month or two we can't get in a resturant or even navigate the roads without having to dodge them. Another of my favorites is the fact that in the stores they use the whole isle and make you walk around them.

My father usually digs his peanuts around mid Oct. Shortly after will start to harvest his cotton.

Scotty

flaboy":9ndndiy1 said:
ctlbaron":9ndndiy1 said:

Oh no, they all come further south to FL. In another month or two we can't get in a resturant or even navigate the roads without having to dodge them. Another of my favorites is the fact that in the stores they use the whole isle and make you walk around them.
Hey Flaboy, most of them drive Cadillacs, Grand Marquis,Crown Vics, and Lincolns too I bet?

Crowderfarms":2hc25vw2 said:
flaboy":2hc25vw2 said:
ctlbaron":2hc25vw2 said:

Hey Flaboy, most of them drive Cadillacs, Grand Marquis,Crown Vics, and Lincolns too I bet?

Oh you had better believe it. I think they have been taught to turn on turn signal and jerk the wheel that way. They don't bother to look any more. Happened to me on the interstate coming back from the farm last weekend. NY plate, I am following closer than I should have been for the speed to car in front of me, I see a turn signal on the mini van in the right lane come on and over he/she came. I came real close to Earnhardting them into the median but then I thought there might be kids on board so I didn't.

Southerngal":3irmz80n said:
I think Fla is full they seem to me staying in South GA.

Ah ha, my signs at the boarder are working then. They say, "drive like a yankee, be shot, talk like a yankee, be shot, other than that all yankee's welcome". :lol: :lol:

flaboy":348lz0og said:
Southerngal":348lz0og said:
I think Fla is full they seem to me staying in South GA.

Ah ha, my signs at the boarder are working then. They say, "drive like a yankee, be shot, talk like a yankee, be shot, other than that all yankee's welcome". :lol: :lol:
A classic from our resident "Frustrated Floridian" :lol2:

We have crows year-around here. They are pretty smart birds. I stop at Wal Mart to grab a bite 5:00 in the morning. They mostly hang out there. People coming out of McDonalds throw their carton of french fries down and the crows are there to clean them up. One crow will grab a supersized carton of left-over fries. He will start running with it and the others will chase him down. Then they clean up popcorn, burgers, hotdogs or anything else left. Of course we have them out in the country too. I mostly hear them when something is getting close to a nest and they swarm what ever it is. They are busy on the interstate and highways picking up roadkill.
Seeding here starts in October. I don't see them in the fields much. They do not bother the crops here. They are a scavenger mostly. Finding dead animals and taking the meat and fat, and hiding it for later use.
Here is a real interesting article about a female crow, Betty, that made tools out of wire to get meat out of a bottle. Her husband, Abel, would take the wire away from her after she made it to get the meat out too. And they said she was smarter than he was!
http://www.anomalies-unlimited.com/Science/Betty.html

Oh, are we talking about real crows (birds that fly)..Dang I thought we were talking snow birds. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts