Thin Skin & Tenderness

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
Was reading an article and theory about cattle skin thickness that is correlated to collagen and connective tissue.

In short, this guy attributed more tenderness to thinner skinned calves with more wrinkles around the neck which could be attributed to thin skins, thus less collagen.

One report:

Submitted to: Meat Science
Publication Type: Peer Reviewed Journal
Publication Acceptance Date: January 25, 2005
Publication Date: May 2, 2005
Citation: Riley, D.G., Johnson, D.D., Chase, C.C., West, R.L., Coleman, S.W., Olson, T.A., Hammond, A.C. 2005. Factors influencing tenderness in steaks from brahman cattle. Meat Science. 70: p.347-356.

Interpretive Summary: Tenderness of beef from Brahman cattle is publicly emphasized as a major beef industry problem, and is often used as a reason for large discounts in prices paid to cattlemen for cattle with any visible Brahman inheritance. The objective of this study was to identify a set of factors that would be effective in prediction of tenderness of Brahman beef. From 1998 to 2001, 468 steer and heifer calves sired by 12 Brahman sires and born to Brahman cows were placed in a feedlot after weaning at 7 months of age and fed to a target backfat of 0.5 inches. Calves were commercially slaughtered and carcass grade information was recorded. Strip loin steaks from each carcass were assessed for the following measures associated with tenderness and eating quality: myofibril fragmentation indices (physical assessment of tenderization) and Warner-Bratzler shear force (both of these after 7, 14. and 21 days of refrigerated storage) and overall tenderness as rated by a trained sensory panel. Traits available at the time the carcasses were graded (24 hours after slaughter) were not strongly associated with these tenderness measures and would not be effective for prediction of tenderness in Brahman carcasses. Collagen content, the amount of connective tissue in the muscle, was strongly related to all tenderness measures; in all cases, higher amounts of collagen were associated with tougher steaks. This is the first confirmation of the importance of the connective tissue component (collagen) in purebred Brahman cattle, and will serve as a new focus for Brahman tenderness improvement research programs.

Any experiences or opinions out there?

Actually, when I read the title of the thread I immediately thought of CB - the most thin skinned and tender guy we all know! :D

Interesting article - have to ponder it for a bit before I comment.

Bez>

That is an interesting article.. and something else to test. Funny how we're all looking for the "magic" correlation for some sort of characteristic and a good steak!

Thanks for the article Mike.
Finally something besides DNA testing, and that is only for potential. I hope they find it true.
I wonder if this may hold true for other breeds as well?

Well there goes the leather industry. People start breeding for thinner skins and it will create a dock at saletime because of the inferior hide for leather making

Latest posts