why are herefords so thin compared to "old time" cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

WichitaLineMan":10ov9hn7 said:
That would be fine if it were 'the CONSUMER'....but actually it is just a MIDDLEMAN with a BIG STICK....the CONSUMER is much like us adjusting (buying) what the MIDDLEMAN can make the most money on........
The consumer is believing what he/she/it is told, like most of the sheep today. The packers tell them what they want and they suck it up. Didn;t say it was right, just the way it is

dun":13lvu6mk said:
WichitaLineMan":13lvu6mk said:
That would be fine if it were 'the CONSUMER'....but actually it is just a MIDDLEMAN with a BIG STICK....the CONSUMER is much like us adjusting (buying) what the MIDDLEMAN can make the most money on........
The consumer is believing what he/she/it is told, like most of the sheep today. The packers tell them what they want and they suck it up. Didn;t say it was right, just the way it is
With out them being told, what the consumer would want would be 100% lean with no fat or prime, and all for a buck a pound or less.

But isn't the slaughter houses the consumer of our good, unless your selling direct.
So by consumer that would mean Tyson, JBS, Swift, ect. and not your neighbor.
Just like the largest consumer of off the farm soy are the crushing plants.

sim.-ang.king":p6dco2gi said:
But isn't the slaughter houses the consumer of our good, unless your selling direct.
They're just a middle man like the feedlot and the grocery store. The consumer is the guy that eats it.

sim.-ang.king":2c91d07x said:
And they don't give a hoot about anything but the oil. Everything else is only a by-product (very profitable one) that they are simply getting rid of.

TexasBred":19wnxb1s said:
sim.-ang.king":19wnxb1s said:
And they don't give a hoot about anything but the oil. Everything else is only a by-product (very profitable one) that they are simply getting rid of.

Stop it! Stop it right now! All this talk about making money is confusing the issue. This is about purity!

Reminds me of the time Johnathon Alexander posted photos of the chicken toed skinny bulls at Miles City. Made a few comments about the structural defects in Line 1 Herefords and was promptly kicked off Herefordtalk.

Peter Hall (cotmore) has a good idea saving rare bloodlines for future use. I don't think his sales pitch is any more or less offensive than starting a Hereford social media site to pimp your own bulls. (Hetefordtalk)

http://www.theland.com.au/story/3371744 ... xtinction/

u4411clb":3qxpe29p said:
"Every time I say it's a game, you tell me it's a business. Every time I say it's a business, you tell me it's a game."
Work like he// but have fun doing it. ;-)

Was just kidding that was a quote from a movie called North Dallas Forty when a guy met with the owner of the football team to try and negotiate his contract. When the player wanted to get paid the owner told him he was getting paid to play a game why worry about money. But when the owner was ready to cut him then the owner stressed it was just business.

But that is definitely good advice for the cattle business you gave.

just my foolish two cents but rember a time when most herds around here had a veriaty of mixed narrow or wideor tall or short.person eating didnt know the diffrence nor did they care as long as it taste good and is tender .it wasnt the person eating that said hay only bramas are what we want. the packer told the hog farmer what he wanted .and how he wanted it ! sooner or latter im guessing they will try tell cattleman the same.never heard some eating it complain it wasnt herford or angus they wouldnt eat it ! not trying to offened anyone .just a small thought poped in my head .now if if the thought of where i laid ny keys would pop in my head that easy id go to town an get ? bread an gas !an tolit paper!!

Not all Herefords are "skinny". This is a Hereford for sale by us.

Latest posts