They are here already

Help Support CattleToday:

Calman

Reaction score
Went to check some fence yesterday and had to get off the 4wheeler to walk a little way.
That evening I discovered I was ate up with chiggers. Time to get out the off and spray the britches leggs.
Seems like every year I always wait until I collect a good batch of them until I take precaution. :mad: :mad:

Ive found the best way to rid yourself of them is a shower so hot youcan hardly stand it and plenty soap and rub until your skin is almost raw. Works for me.
Problem was I wasen't due for a shower for another 3 wks. :lol2: :lol2:

Cal

That might be the solution. Stay out of the shower till you can't stand yourself and maybe the chiggers won't be able to stand you either. But on second thought the wife ?

I take a garlic suppliment, and haven't had any trouble with chiggers for years. I think they don't care for garlic. Could be that they just don't like me.

Hard to imagine anybody or any thing that would not like ME , though.

well im lucky chiggers hate my blood.i can go out in the brush woods deep grass an weeds.an the bloodsuckers wont touch my hide.but i feel for the people that get ate up by them.

About a month ago I killed four ticks that were climbing up my legs. My brother bought a farm that had been in CRP for almost 20 years, we had to pull little trees out of the fields.

Had not noticed chiggers but the mosquitoes are out in force.

Calman found this on the web and seem to say exactly what you said, I had never heard of Chiggers before I came onto this site, now I know about them and Fire ants, wow you learn a great deal from CT.

[edit] Treatment
The most effective way of removing chiggers is by taking a hot shower and washing the affected areas with mildly hot water and soap. This must be done as soon as possible after exposure or possible exposure. Carefully wash the ankles, feet, behind the knees, and under the arms and chest. An Epsom salt bath may help alleviate pruritus. If one is near the seashore, wading for a few minutes in salt water will both get rid of the mites on one's skin and clothing and also alleviate the itching from their bites. Another good way of removing chiggers is to cover the chiggers with scotch tape and pull them off that way. However once symptoms appear, it may be too late to prevent further bites. Taking a hot bath when already covered with chigger bites may in fact be very uncomfortable and increase itching symptoms. Do not rub and scratch the skin aggressively, but instead gently but firmly rub the irritated skin with warm soapy water.

Clothing, especially pants and socks, should be immediately discarded after returning from areas where exposure may have occurred.

Try not to scratch the affected regions. Scratching could scrape off chigger larvae, but it may also cause increased irritation by breaking the skin and leaving it vulnerable to a more serious infection.

A covering to reduce air exposure over the itchy area, such as calamine lotion, petroleum jelly, or baby oil, may help relieve the pain (but does not cure the bites).

The application of a small drop of finger nail polish (usually clear nail polish) is one of the most popular remedies and is claimed to reduce itching and dry the itchy sores in the fewest number of days. This has a better chance of being effective if done early. Later, people sometimes may end up mistaking the red dot in the middle of the bite as the chigger itself (the chigger is long gone). There is a misconception that the mite has burrowed into the skin, and that coating their bites with vaseline, nail polish, or some other air-inhibiting seal will "suffocate" the chigger.[citation needed]

Medication such as antihistamines or corticosteroid creams may be prescribed by doctors, and might help in some instances.

Unfortunately, I feel your pain.

If there is a chigger, skeeter, tick, etc. within a 100 miles of me, they are gonna find me. (Course, when you sweet as I am, who can resist?) :shock:

The chiggers and ticks have been here for a month and they absolutely eat me up.

ticks don't find me near as appealing as mosquitos do, thank goodness. i'd rather have skeeters than tick crawling up... well, you know

No guarantees but - I've heard if you will pin (use safety Pins) dryer sheets to the bottom of your pants that they will keep chiggers and ticks away. I've never tried it, but it would not be expensive to try.

I find that OFF works great for skeeters and chiggers,for chiggers I just spray my britches legs.
Only thing I've found to keep them #$%& buffalo knats off is vanilla flavering.

Cal

Latest posts