They are coming.....

Help Support CattleToday:

"We are 12 days past expected due date, 90 calved out of 123" That's a lot going over 12 days late! Especially for heifers. But, sounds like things are going well. Gotta ask - how many people actively help out at calving?

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
"We are 12 days past expected due date, 90 calved out of 123" That's a lot going over 12 days late! Especially for heifers. But, sounds like things are going well. Gotta ask - how many people actively help out at calving?

I think you misunderstood. He is 73% complete on his heifers 12 days after his official start date.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:

There are 5 of us here. Not enough some days and one too many most others.

5th set of twins last night. Mom will be able to feed them both until last nurse cow calves.

A few different colours.

Wind is howling here today, the three year old's calves found a use of rock piles as windbreaks.

Day 35 from calendar due date. 92% done. One heifer left.

Got the first bunch branded on Monday.
Was a little dusty.

Part of the branding crew.

The setup consists of a pallet and 2x4 alley and a $500 table we bought 20 years ago. Thinking we might have to replace the alley one day. High overhead will get the best of us!

Low income iron on a calf

Looks like pallets play a big part in the operation Dave, plugging gaps?

You don't seem to be like a real cowboy doing it, lassoeing them then dragging them to the branding fire like the other Dave on here does. A bit more like how we do it here. At least you won't have the animal welfare people chasing you as long as you admin pain relief as you go.

Ken

wbvs58 said:

You don't seem to be like a real cowboy doing it, lassoeing them then dragging them to the branding fire like the other Dave on here does. A bit more like how we do it here. At least you won't have the animal welfare people chasing you as long as you admin pain relief as you go.

Ken

I rope calves at the neighbours and enjoy my small crew at home.

Those pallets add up, we dug a pit and burned about 50 of them a couple weeks ago.

wbvs58 said:

Ken
I have tipped my share over in a calf table. And helped some darn sure real cowboys to do it. I been told that 30-40 years ago all the calves around here went through a calf table. But then cowboys and cow horses that could handle a rope started getting scarce. The branding pen is a good place for them both to learn. It gets to be kind of an important thing to know now through November. When you have a sick cow to doctor and you are 20 miles from the nearest chute. I also understand the issue that Dave had. Beer drinking team ropers don't cut it in the branding pen. They are really selective here as to who gets invited. And I have seen some people who thought they really knew how to do things who were never invited back.

Dave said:
wbvs58 said:

Ken
I have tipped my share over in a calf table. And helped some darn sure real cowboys to do it. I been told that 30-40 years ago all the calves around here went through a calf table. But then cowboys and cow horses that could handle a rope started getting scarce. The branding pen is a good place for them both to learn. It gets to be kind of an important thing to know now through November. When you have a sick cow to doctor and you are 20 miles from the nearest chute. I also understand the issue that Dave had. Beer drinking team ropers don't cut it in the branding pen. They are really selective here as to who gets invited. And I have seen some people who thought they really knew how to do things who were never invited back.
I suspect a lot of tradition in the roping Dave plus the social gathering. You are relatively new to the district, I suspect the brandings played a big part in getting to know your neighbours???

Ken

Last heifer calved this morning. 42 days from calendar start date. The bulls were with heifers for 42 days last summer.

30ish left

wbvs58 said:
Dave said:
wbvs58 said:

Ken
I suspect a lot of tradition in the roping Dave plus the social gathering. You are relatively new to the district, I suspect the brandings played a big part in getting to know your neighbours???

Ken
I have been to brandings in Washington, Oregon, Nevada, and Colorado. They are social events where all the neighbors get together to help each other out. There is darn sure a lot of tradition in how the roping is done. Some head and heel, some just rope the heals and drag them to the fire, some you better double hock them or don't go to the horn. As to getting to know my neighbors. There is a pretty active community center here (the old shut down school). Before the covid19 there was some sort of a potluck there about once a month. I had been here about 9 months before I attended a branding. I already knew my neighbors.

Another bunch worked today, will be glad when they are all gone to grass.

140 more to work tomorrow and then the stragglers..

Dave said:
wbvs58 said:
Dave said:

Ken
I have been to brandings in Washington, Oregon, Nevada, and Colorado. They are social events where all the neighbors get together to help each other out. There is darn sure a lot of tradition in how the roping is done. Some head and heel, some just rope the heals and drag them to the fire, some you better double hock them or don't go to the horn. As to getting to know my neighbors. There is a pretty active community center here (the old shut down school). Before the covid19 there was some sort of a potluck there about once a month. I had been here about 9 months before I attended a branding. I already knew my neighbors.
at the branding I usually go to (didn't this year), they always roped both hind legs and dragged them
They had one really young calf that no one could get with the ropes, I cornered it and just picked it up and walked to the fire with it.. they all had a good chuckle

Latest posts