They are coming.....

Help Support CattleToday:

Easter Sunday, about 35 calves, one hard pull, a couple dummies to help suck, lots hands off. At 7 pm I got a call that roast chicken dinner was ready. I had just finished feeding a dummy and said I was going to check heifers before I came in.
Our smallest heifer had a waterbag out so took her to the barn...….. backwards...……… hard pull that resulted in uterus coming with calf. Freeze her, clean up, replace and sew. Cold dinner after a bath at 9:30
Just Ranchin' ………..

Wonderful beds for the little guys. Not....

250 black cows had 2 Charolais, 3 Herefords and 10 black bulls with them last year. Herefords 4, Charolais 25 at present. Only one Hereford bull left here.

Interesting colour considering Angus daddy. Maybe Mom has more Hereford than she shows.

Second calvers.

Wow you are busy lol. We are also fighting with cold temps. Not sure we've had a calving season like this before. And also just wondering about your black cow with a black whiteface calf. Is it at all possible she was with a Hereford bull. Someone may have to explain how it works but I understood that if your black cow had any white face in her genes it would have to show on her. So I really think it must've been bred by a Hereford bull... I sure could be wrong.

Josher said:
Wow you are busy lol. We are also fighting with cold temps. Not sure we've had a calving season like this before. And also just wondering about your black cow with a black whiteface calf. Is it at all possible she was with a Hereford bull. Someone may have to explain how it works but I understood that if your black cow had any white face in her genes it would have to show on her. So I really think it must've been bred by a Hereford bull... I sure could be wrong.

Go back and read, We had 3 Hereford bulls with the black cows. Only 4 baldy calves so far as compared to 25 out of two white bulls in the same time period.

gcreekrch said:
Josher said:

Go back and read, We had 3 Hereford bulls with the black cows. Only 4 baldy calves so far as compared to 25 out of two white bulls in the same time period.

I was just commenting on the calf that you said "interesting colour considering ANGUS daddy" . Debating whether it was actually angus or if it was a Hereford sire.

Josher said:
gcreekrch said:
Josher said:

I was just commenting on the calf that you said "interesting colour considering ANGUS daddy" . Debating whether it was actually angus or if it was a Hereford sire.

Sorry, there is no chance that happened. Had another brockle heifer deliver another full white face last night. Enough Hereford genetics in mom for it to show.

Your snow leaving yet?

Okay I didn't know it could come out as more white face breeding to black angus but it must be a genetic through back. And our snow is not leaving yet sadly but it did quit snowing finally haha. We still have snow we'll above the knee. Cows won't be on pasture anytime soon so it's a good thing we got more feed than usual last year. How many cows do you run?

Hereford gestation is 289 days and Angus are just 281 days, so your percentage of baldy calves could improve with more time.

wbvs58 said:
gcreekrch said:
Half done, been a busy week.
Have you surfaced for air Dave?

Ken

Considering the conditions we've had this year it could have been a lot worse. Warm days have nearly removed our snow so should be getting some drier areas soon.

We are also blessed with a good crew.

This heifer rolled her calf all over creation before she finally let it suck.

Black cow bunch.

We have gone from 16 inches of snow to this in 6 days.

It's been gorgeous weather the last bit.. hopefully it keeps up a while, but I wouldn't mind rain.. it's getting dry around here (I know that's not what you want to hear though!)

Your herds are on vast areas and I see the cows churn up the ground like mine do. I have LOTS smaller numbers of cows and LOTS smaller paddocks. We have been fighting MUD all winter. Ground never froze under the snow, so cows & tractor was ALWAYS able to churn up mud.
Your pictures are exciting to see. Thanks for taking the time. I think we ALL enjoy seeing how different areas cope with our weather.

Heifer pairs. We are 12 days past expected due date, 90 calved out of 123.

Practicing our social distancing.

Creeks have been running high.

Some of the non black herd

wbvs58 said:
How quickly do you expect the grass to start growing Dave?

Ken

We will have grass we can count on in another month. Some cows go to grass a few days before the rest.

Latest posts