The Trouble with Curved chutes/races

Help Support CattleToday:

IluvABbeef

Reaction score
Funny thing about chutes/races is that you have to have them designed to fit the animals that you primarily run through.

Not by width measurements, but by the design: C, S, or straight.

Now, lately, I've learned something from a fella who has a Phd in Agriculture (no offence to any of you on here) and manages a number of research stations run by the U of Alta: the U of A farm, and the Kinsella Ranch. It was the latter that me and a bus-load of colleagues where touring for a project we're to be working on throughout the school semester.

Anyway, the dryer stuff past, let me get to the point. The man who was leading us undergrads on the tour of the ~7000 acre ranch, Dr. Barry Irving, was asked about the facilities he had there. He said that everything that they had made and bought work fine, except for the S-curved chute (C-curve I'm convinced is the same way).

"It ain't worth it, especially if your running calves through. It works fine for cows, because they can look over the top to see where they're going, but with calves....only if you get a guy behind them on the outside shunting them through all the time will it work."

The problem was that the calves can't see where they're going. They're vision is to the side, but when there's curves, they stop because thier vision is blocked, and then there's a big holdup of calves and someone has to go in with a paddle or cane (or even a hotshot, if it gets to that) to get them moving.

So out of all that, for calves, the best race or chute that will help with smoother handling of calves is a straight race or chute.

Apparentely, it's ironic for me because here are all these universities that put all this money in to research in proper handling facilities for cattle, and it comes out as almost literally worthless, especially like someone said on a previous post on the Begginer's board about this same topic, you try and make or buy one of the Grandin- or university-reccommended facilities and you go broke (whoops, went off topic here), and that these U's highly reccommend curved chutes. And here's someone with a PhD that doesn't reccommend curved chutes (for calves, anyway). He's fine with the crowding tubs (just so long as you don't put in too many animals at a time), but as for chutes....funny thing, ain't it?

On a side note, the Kinsella Ranch runs about 250 head of Angus cow/calf pairs, as well as other more "minor'' breeds: char, simm, herf, galloway, holstein and brown swiss. The cattle see the facilities twice a year, (once in the spring and once in the fall, is my hunch), so the range calves that have never seen facilities before, I guess having the proper handling facilities is cruical.

Sorry it got so long. But it's something worth sharing, that's for sure.

I've never seen a chute or alleyway designed so cows can see over top of it. If they can get their head above it, they will try to go over it.

jkwilson":2l8vxe26 said:
I've never seen a chute or alleyway designed so cows can see over top of it. If they can get their head above it, they will try to go over it.

My thoughts as well. I have found that if you will keep a C-shaped chute well lighted that neither cows nor calves mind following them.

Well I’m with the professor.
IMO a straight chute is far better then a C or S chute for both cows and calves.
SL

Cabo":3nlw5lkr said:
jkwilson":3nlw5lkr said:

My thoughts as well. I have found that if you will keep a C-shaped chute well lighted that neither cows nor calves mind following them.

Helped work some cows in the enclosed sided facilitys that the owner is real proud of. A number of cows tried to crawl over the top cause they couldn;t see ahead or to the sides.

dun":2rjpegek said:
Cabo":2rjpegek said:
jkwilson":2rjpegek said:

Helped work some cows in the enclosed sided facilitys that the owner is real proud of. A number of cows tried to crawl over the top cause they couldn;t see ahead or to the sides.

What makes you think they tried to crawl over the top because they couldn't see?

They should be able to see a "hole" and head for it. The whole idea, I thought, for curved working pens was to keep them from seeing where they were headed: death or a squeeze chute. We have some square pens. The cattle tend to get in a corner and bunch up. In curved pens, that's not a problem.

I have a "C" leading into my squeeze chute. The cows/calves usually stop somewhere before they get to the squeeze and have to be "urged" to go ahead.

Before I went to a C lane I had a straight lane and they would stop in there and have to be "urged" to move ahead.

I just plan on "urging" them into the squeeze.

Sounds like that guy with the Phd. might need to spend less time in the classroom and more working cattle. He's giving out some bad advice (opinion) about how cattle work. The idea is to not let them see where they're going. Maybe he hadn't noticed it, but calves will definitely turn around in a straight chute if given the opportunity.

Frankie":25olyn2e said:
dun":25olyn2e said:
Cabo":25olyn2e said:
jkwilson":25olyn2e said:

What makes you think they tried to crawl over the top because they couldn't see?

They should be able to see a "hole" and head for it. The whole idea, I thought, for curved working pens was to keep them from seeing where they were headed: death or a squeeze chute. We have some square pens. The cattle tend to get in a corner and bunch up. In curved pens, that's not a problem.

It seemed to me that they were headed for the one place they could see, out over the top.

Sir Loin":zpwzlrhq said:
IMO a straight chute is far better then a C or S chute for both cows and calves.
SL

I agree. I built my own chute and both sides slightly taper to the chute and never have had a problem so far. By the time a cow decides she wants to turn around, it's too late and will go on. Calves are a breeze because they are easier to intimidate into the chute.

Cattle don't have good depth perception, which is why sometimes if there is a panel or gate in front of them, with an opening to the side, they'll stop. They can't tell how close the gate or panel is, and can't see the opening.

We have always had better luck getting cows to go forward if they could see an opening. If they see what looks to be a solid wall or gate, even if it's a distance away, they'll stop. You can push them forward until they realize there's a way out, but it will cause them to bunch up.

Sir Loin":1j0a6ock said:
SL

I disagree. Speaking from experience, there will always be cows/calves trying to go over either one. We've had far less trouble with a C-curved sweep tub leading into the chute, and (properly used), the sweep tub gate provides a little added incentive for them to enter the chute.

So now, after reading your thoughts and opinions, it all comes down to personal preference??

Jim, hate to burst your bubble, but this is coming from someone with a PhD that DOES know how to work cattle and obviously has worked them many times before.

I also agree with those of you that cattle tend to move towards a "hole" or where they can actually see their route of escape.

But even then it also depends on the individual cattle: there can be some absolute air-heads that will try to go over or stop or turn around in either a straight or curved race.

Henceforth the debate continues....

I've sought opinions from you folks on this subject at least three times and have received a variety of answers. The "experts" in handling facilities (except for ILUV's "expert") all say that a blind, curved system is what's needed to effiecently work cattle. "They" say the animals vision is exactly why the curved system works. They don't see very well looking straight ahead but rather have better vision to the side so when they are being moved they tend to move from left to right and back again because they are trying to see where they are going. Makes sense, at least to me.

The blind part of this scenario is to keep the animals from being distracted as they are moved down an alley. Like someone said above about being able to see over the alley or chute, if they can they will try to jump it - period. And that you can take to the bank because they will try to jump it. And someone hanging over the crowding pen fence will turn animal quicker the greased lightning. Best that it be a blind.

So, if and when I get a chance to rebuild my handling facilities it will be straight (more or less) but it will be a blind. JMHO

No problem with the bursted bubble, but actually, I don't think that there was a bubble involved unless it was on your part. Your "expert" was expressing his opinion, I presume, and you seemed to be accepting that opinion as the gospel according to Phd. . A tremendous amount of research has been done on this issue, and as far as I know, it's pretty nearly unanimous that curved alleys and chutes are the way to go because this format takes advantage of the natural behaviour of cattle.

My recommendation would be that when you start up your operation and build your working facilities, that you just build them however YOU want them. Fair enough?

I've seen many different systems at the different auction barns and just about as many train wrecks. If they are nine foot tall, some animal is going to try to crawl over them at some point.

Personal experiences, working methodology, breed, and just plain old animal personality is going to dictate each individual choice. Even the "perfect" system is going to be cumbersome at some point for given animals.

Since I don't dehorn, stubborn animals wind up getting shipped out, and there are times I work solo, my system fits me. I designed and built it to fit my needs. Everything pins together and it can be altered, enlarged, or moved to another pasture quite simply. The chute is heavy to lift onto a flatbed requiring a large tractor or else the hoe. The cut gate can be lifted off of the main chute. The panels can be lifted by two people but it is easy with a front bucket to move them. Anyway, I can use my system on leased property if need be. I like portability and adaptablility. I can set it up curved but don't generally use it that way.

backhoeboogie":3ozduhgt said:
Since I don't dehorn, stubborn animals wind up getting shipped out, and there are times I work solo, my system fits me. I designed and built it to fit my needs. Everything pins together and it can be altered, enlarged, or moved to another pasture quite simply. The chute is heavy to lift onto a flatbed requiring a large tractor or else the hoe. The cut gate can be lifted off of the main chute. The panels can be lifted by two people but it is easy with a front bucket to move them. Anyway, I can use my system on leased property if need be. I like portability and adaptablility. I can set it up curved but don't generally use it that way.

BHB, I use the same type of system. I have been building panels that can be mounted on my hay fork. So I can move them easier. I don't like the store bought panels, too long and light weight. I like my panels short and heavy, easier on my back not having to move long section of panels by myself. Those long panels always end up twisting my lower back. It's better to make them short and heavy with some type of mounting system so I can work by myself.

Well I am glad this came up - might haved saved me a couple hundred bucks. I was considering buying a curved alley to go between my crowd tub and the squeeze chute.

Cattle come out of the main barn and directly into the crowding tub. Sliding gate on the barn door controls numbers into the tub. From the tub directly into the squeeze.

The only small problem is some balking at leaving the crowd tub to go into the squeeze. Seems every year those problems are fewer.

Our working facilities are similar too, as in a crowding tub into a short straight alley just before the squeeze chute. Our squeeze chute is longer because it has a palp cage too. This set up has worked extremely well for us and can also be used by just one person if necessary. Occassionally a cow or calf will balk just before the squeeze chute (most often if one isn't pushing from behind); but, usually with a bit of encouragement (from the outside) clicking noises, tail twisting, or a pitch fork (we don't use a hot shot) will usually get them to go. Calves will sometimes turn around in the straight away, but it is easy enough to turn them back in the tub. We like the short straight alley before the chute. When we are synch'ing for AI and are removing CIDRs and giving injections it works very fast to line several up from the chute to the alley and work 3 or 4 in a row without having to individually catch them. Also it can give a "balker" a chance to view the head gate opening - and you a really good chance of catching them if they try and run/jump through the headgate. Our facilities are also very tall and our straight alley also has a supporting over head "U" to tie the sides together and prevent a jumper (although we cull for dispositions, so the nervous ones don't tend to stay very long). Our squeeze chute is also portable, so we can disconnect it from the alley too. We built our facility from scratch and used all pipe - (posts too). We have not yet had anything "challenge" it. Ours was built from our experiences and seeing others' facilities too. Initially we even used some T-posts and cattle panels to see if an additional alleyway and pen was something that would be useful (in that area). Ours is still a work in progress and we also had to work within our physical constraints - building location, land slope, and current fences. Our squeeze area is under a lean to of our the barn so we didn't have room for a curve after the tub. Our tub is accessible from the working corral and also a panel change away from moving a cow from the barn into the chute. We have lights available to shine on the alley in case of night usage (calf pulling, etc).

IluvABbeef":24kt1zgz said:
So now, after reading your thoughts and opinions, it all comes down to personal preference??

Jim, hate to burst your bubble, but this is coming from someone with a PhD that DOES know how to work cattle and obviously has worked them many times before.

I also agree with those of you that cattle tend to move towards a "hole" or where they can actually see their route of escape.

But even then it also depends on the individual cattle: there can be some absolute air-heads that will try to go over or stop or turn around in either a straight or curved race.

Henceforth the debate continues....

There's no question that teachers in universities have a great influence over their students but there is an old saying that goes something like this: Those that can, do; those that can't, teach.

If I were to ask a question on a controversial subject of a professer and a lay person with thirty years experience I would take the answer from the lay person in a heart beat over the professor.

Latest posts