The Saban rule

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
It's kinda old news now, but college footballs bright minds are testing the waters for a rule change, the Nick Saban rule. It's a slow down rule, if an offense snaps the ball before ten seconds click off the play clock it will result In a five yard delay of game penilty ..... So snap the ball to fast and you are delaying the game :? Huh?

Saban is trying to make it a player safety issue, when it's really let me get my defense in, as one Stanford player said," if you want to stop the hurry up offense don't let them get a first down". Finally coaching are speaking out against the Saban rule, including some SEC coaches. I don't think the rule will get through ..... But with golden boy Saban pushing it who knows?

Can't believe that Duck fan hasn't thrown a fit about this yet! :shock:

He's been squealing like a pig on this one since early 2012. Hopefully the purist will vote it down. Delay of game for playing too fast???? Only in 'bama. :shock:

TexasBred":3qspoivi said:
He's been squealing like a pig on this one since early 2012. Hopefully the purist will vote it down. Delay of game for playing too fast???? Only in 'bama. :shock:

:roll: I guess id be kickin up too if i couldnt stop it. I thought this was gonna be about the other rule proposal he has. The one where you cant run a missed field goal back.

Craig Miller":3fmhuygn said:
TexasBred":3fmhuygn said:

:roll: I guess id be kickin up too if i couldnt stop it. I thought this was gonna be about the other rule proposal he has. The one where you cant run a missed field goal back.

Now that's funny! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Craig Miller":2p7qdcj4 said:
TexasBred":2p7qdcj4 said:

:lol2: :lol: :lol2: :yuck:

He's a weiner now I guess. That's a bunch of BS. If you can't beat em change the rules. Nick's a ...oh well just a cry baby.

I don't have anything against the hurry up game, but that's what it should be. None of this running to the line so the other team can't substitute , and then scratching your nuts while your looking at the placards on the sideline.

I think that's what bugs a lot of coaches who don't run this type of offense. So maybe they need a rule that you have to snap the ball within so many seconds of you coming to the line. Then it will be a true hurry up offense and not look like Sesame Street

Nicky is going to have a hard time consistently beating Auburn unless he gets the rules changed in his favor. The hurry up style of play is just good, innovative coaching.
It is absurd for him to say the defense becomes fatigued and makes the hurry up dangerous for the players. Does that translate into the offense is in better physical condition than his defense?

houstoncutter":2zm3v2xw said:
I don't have anything against the hurry up game, but that's what it should be. None of this running to the line so the other team can't substitute , and then scratching your nuts while your looking at the placards on the sideline.

I think that's what bugs a lot of coaches who don't run this type of offense. So maybe they need a rule that you have to snap the ball within so many seconds of you coming to the line. Then it will be a true hurry up offense and not look like Sesame Street

The current rule is if the offense make a substitution the defense is allowed to substitute players also.

Of course teams can fake injuries to slow a team down.

Alan":33b9pl1f said:
houstoncutter":33b9pl1f said:

The current rule is if the offense make a substitution the defense is allowed to substitute players also.

Of course teams can fake injuries to slow a team down.

I think that is happening a lot.

Yup, I need 5 characters to be able to post the word yup, yup with a period is only 4 characters.

I'm not a fan of Saban but I hope it passes even though Ky is hoping to get enough talent to implement this type of offense. I'm old fashioned and like old fashioned football. I've never been a fan of hurry up offenses. IMHO the only people using it are the ones with less talent that are just trying to find a way to win. Heck I'd like to see them pass a rule that only allowed one pass per 4 down series but I"m not holding my breath. :hide:

spoon":1jdo67lo said:
I'm not a fan of Saban but I hope it passes even though Ky is hoping to get enough talent to implement this type of offense. I'm old fashioned and like old fashioned football. I've never been a fan of hurry up offenses. IMHO the only people using it are the ones with less talent that are just trying to find a way to win. Heck I'd like to see them pass a rule that only allowed one pass per 4 down series but I"m not holding my breath. :hide:
:bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: You need to watch more college football.

It would stand to reason the team with the best talent would win most of the time. I should clearify we may be talking about two or three different things. Oregon runs a high tempo, hurry up offense. But their success comes from the spread and the read option offense, both can be successful without the high tempo game. And all can be stopped, just ask Stanford how to stop Oregon. USC has one of the nations best recruiting classes year after year, their talent hasn't helped them lately.

Just to hijack my own thread ...... Hey TB, I wonder what Barry Switzer thinks about Johnny Manziel? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I know he also hd some good things to say, like he can take over a game with the best of them ....... It's the little prick comment that brought a chuckle. I wonder if it's a old man talking or a die hard Oklahoma coach talking.

Tim/South said:
Nicky is going to have a hard time consistently beating Auburn unless he gets the rules changed in his favor. The hurry up style of play is just good, innovative coaching.
It is absurd for him to say the defense becomes fatigued and makes the hurry up dangerous for the players. Does that translate into the offense is in better physical condition than his defense?[/quot

It takes more out of you to play defense than offense. On offensive you know where the ball is going and on what snap count, thus you are able to control your breathing. On defense you have to react to the play in front of you. That takes more energy. That is a big reason that teams that have a good back will really pile up the yards in the 4quarter. I remenber in the golden oldie days we used to love the last quarter cause we knew we were gonna run it down the defenses throat and they would be too tired to stop. Its still the same today.

Alan":1pmmodru said:
It would stand to reason the team with the best talent would win most of the time. I should clearify we may be talking about two or three different things. Oregon runs a high tempo, hurry up offense. But their success comes from the spread and the read option offense, both can be successful without the high tempo game. And all can be stopped, just ask Stanford how to stop Oregon. USC has one of the nations best recruiting classes year after year, their talent hasn't helped them lately.

Just to hijack my own thread ...... Hey TB, I wonder what Barry Switzer thinks about Johnny Manziel? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I know he also hd some good things to say, like he can take over a game with the best of them ....... It's the little prick comment that brought a chuckle. I wonder if it's a old man talking or a die hard Oklahoma coach talking.
Thsi coming from a former coach who forgot he was carrying a pistol when he tried to board an airplane....Well the "little prick" comment was probably a nice comment compared to what the OU football players were calling him during the 2013 Cotton Bowl. Bob Stoops seemed to be pretty much in awe of him.

houstoncutter":11qqlbkp said:
Tim/South":11qqlbkp said:
It is absurd for him to say the defense becomes fatigued and makes the hurry up dangerous for the players. Does that translate into the offense is in better physical condition than his defense?[/quot

It takes more out of you to play defense than offense. On offensive you know where the ball is going and on what snap count, thus you are able to control your breathing. On defense you have to react to the play in front of you. That takes more energy. That is a big reason that teams that have a good back will really pile up the yards in the 4quarter. I remenber in the golden oldie days we used to love the last quarter cause we knew we were gonna run it down the defenses throat and they would be too tired to stop. Its still the same today.

ONLY if you had the best athletes or the other offense would do the same to your defense. :!: :!:

TexasBred":2x8x3qqy said:
spoon":2x8x3qqy said:
:bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: You need to watch more college football.

I watch my fair share of it. Maybe it's because we didn't play that way when I played in high school. They didn't play that way in college back then either. To each his own. I stick by what I posted earlier but it's a moot point as they have decided against the "Saban" rule.

spoon":j51b1d7y said:
I watch my fair share of it. Maybe it's because we didn't play that way when I played in high school. They didn't play that way in college back then either. To each his own. I stick by what I posted earlier but it's a moot point as they have decided against the "Saban" rule.
We played that way when I was in HS as well...huddle, run a play, get three yards, repeat. I enjoy the new faster pace. I think it requires much athleticism and conditioning. Apparently Saban thought he might be losing it in both areas.

Move on.....FAST !!!!

Latest posts