The price of grain

Help Support CattleToday:

Cattle Rack Rancher

Reaction score
I heard the other day that consumers should expect prices to rise on cereal and bread because of the higher commodity prices that farmers are getting paid lately. I was talking to a grain farmer about that on the weekend. He told me that in a box of Corn Flakes tha there is about 3 cents worth of corn and a loaf of bread contains about ten cents worth of wheat. Can anybody verify that? Because if that's true, even if commodity prices doubled, it shouldn't cause much of a price increase in either one. Looks like the farmers are taking the blame for the greedy corporations to me.

Well, I can tell you this: everytime the grain prices go up, cattle prices always go down. :(

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

IluvABbeef":37dfbakw said:
Well, I can tell you this: everytime the grain prices go up, cattle prices always go down. :(

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Yup.Prices have already gone down ; with our dollar and grain prices I don't think a person can even "break even".Especially with the cost of fuel and natural gas.

As far as cereal and bread they will use any excuse to raise prices .Why doesn't beef go up in price for consumers instead of producers getting less?

The local elevator today was calling around trying to get folks to sell barley for Dec delivery at $6.50 bushel-- wasn't but a couple months ago it was selling for $3.00.....

Couple of folks at the water hole said the huge raise was because of exports- in that a lot of the Muslim and other countries were wanting barley now instead of US corn because of the GMO corn problems...

In 1972, there was 2 cents worth of wheat in a loaf of bread. I don't know the historical data but I think wheat was selling more then than it is now. For them to raise the price of corn flakes cause corn went up is just a ploy. They might be justified if they raised it a penny - no more.

Reminds me of the board of directors at the toothpick factory projecting decreased income cause they are going to have to buy a new tree this year. ;-)

One bushel of wheat makes 72 loaves of bread. Sold our ordinary wheat (Below 12% protien) for $6.32. Better then last year. We got $4.77 a bushel.
Sold our calves today. Got $135.50 for 5 steers weighting 348;11 steers weighting 489 at $119.50; 8 Heifers weighting 392 for $111.50; 2 heifers weighting 263 for $102.00; 3 heifers weighting 360 for $119.50.
Heat made them smaller then last year. Had heavier calves. Everybodies calves were light.
Sold steers last year at 514# for $144.00

I luv herfrds":2q9c9brh said:
One bushel of wheat makes 72 loaves of bread. Sold our ordinary wheat (Below 12% protien) for $6.32. Better then last year. We got $4.77 a bushel.
Sold our calves today. Got $135.50 for 5 steers weighting 348;11 steers weighting 489 at $119.50; 8 Heifers weighting 392 for $111.50; 2 heifers weighting 263 for $102.00; 3 heifers weighting 360 for $119.50.
Heat made them smaller then last year. Had heavier calves. Everybodies calves were light.
Sold steers last year at 514# for $144.00

So, basically you are saying @ 7 cents a loaf last year for wheat and @ 9 cents a loaf this year for wheat. Yep. Probably a big price increase coming and they are blaming it on commodity prices.