The Last Trimester with Pics and advice

Help Support CattleToday:

ok, now that Im on the computer and not my blackberry, i can give more details.
The vet couldnt make it, he was on another emergency farm call. So, he called the guy that takes care of his cows when he is out of town, and lives close by. while he was on his way I reached in and found the other front leg further back, and found the head folded back. When he got here, we started trying to rope her. She was out in the field, and wouldnt go to the pen. She didnt like the rope so she ran a bit around, sucked the foot back in, and I guess that when the calf repositioned. Once roped and down we found everything where it should be, put the snare on him, and pulled by hand right out. He was alive, but not breathing, so we hung him by his legs, cleared everything, and he started breathing. WHEW! then we backed off, and watched mom come in and go right to work cleaning him up. He was standing in 20 minutes or so, and went right to the teat once mom got him cleaned up. Ill get some pics up here in a bit, there are a few good ones.

16083802848_ORIG.jpg

16083802931_ORIG.jpg

16083803107_ORIG.jpg

16083803614_ORIG.jpg

IMG00026-20100211-1434.jpg

IMG00029-20100211-1741.jpg

ok, they are not in order, mostly backwards.
I just wanted to say thank you to EVERYONE for all the advice along the way. Its is appreciated more than you all know.
Also, can we get the title to this thread renamed to "The last trimester" ????????? :lol2:

Congrats on a live calf, its amazing what you learn when you have too. :tiphat:

We have been pacing in the waiting room almost 3 months! I assume you will be sending out cigars.
I don't smoke them, what is the PC announcement handout now days? Anyone? @
Oh congratulations!! :tiphat:

Did she let you sneak up and manipulate the calf while lying in the field before the cavalry arrived? @

hooknline":1bup9j4d said:
ok, now that Im on the computer and not my blackberry, i can give more details.
The vet couldnt make it, he was on another emergency farm call. So, he called the guy that takes care of his cows when he is out of town, and lives close by. while he was on his way I reached in and found the other front leg further back, and found the head folded back. When he got here, we started trying to rope her. She was out in the field, and wouldnt go to the pen. She didnt like the rope so she ran a bit around, sucked the foot back in, and I guess that when the calf repositioned. Once roped and down we found everything where it should be, put the snare on him, and pulled by hand right out. He was alive, but not breathing, so we hung him by his legs, cleared everything, and he started breathing. WHEW! then we backed off, and watched mom come in and go right to work cleaning him up. He was standing in 20 minutes or so, and went right to the teat once mom got him cleaned up. Ill get some pics up here in a bit, there are a few good ones.

yep. she is a very well tempered momma cow. I just went out to check on them, she passed the afterbirth and she let me scratch on his head a bit. His name is "booger" .Named after the 3 months of booger commin outta his momma

yep. Banded him after he got a chance to bond and feed. I prefer the banding over cutting.
on edit: I just noticed Im a trail boss now. :cboy: see what all this worrying got me. :lol2:

well hooknline congrats on your calf you had us worried there for while. Now if I can have my overdue calves alive and well it will definitely be a good valentine's weekend for me. I don't need roses or candy just a healthy calf. lol

FINALLY!! I haven't been on over the weekend, and this was the main post I was looking forward to seeing. Glad all is well and that momma is raising the calf on her own.

Now, next year, you should know this cow is going to take quite a while to have a calf. As others have said, some show signs for a while and others don't. She showed signs for the last trimester.

Congrats!

she must be a heifer they can go on and on, i had one that my father-in-law swore would have it any minute in nov and i knew when she got bred. her due date was feb in november she started baggin and when the time came she was huge she calved in feb like i said. even the stringing can be long all of them are different some do tons and some do a little.

Latest posts