The joys of raising cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus":35fj3474 said:
greybeard":35fj3474 said:
Dang Jogeephus --that ain't good atall. Drought--fire--lightning--politicians--zombies. Always something ain't it?
Sorry to read this really tho--those kind of losses are hard on anyone.

You're right. Its always something. Never a dull moment. The good thing is all the face eating zombies have stayed south of the border so far.

1982vett":35fj3474 said:
So how much rain did you get.....or did that not work in your favor also? :???:

From which storm? Its rained every day. You wouldn't believe the grass I have. I haven't seen it this thick in years. Heck, I did some pour on wormer on them as I moved them and a cloud came up and must have dumped 2 inches on me late this afternoon. Oh, and I layed a small hay field on the ground today too.(It will look good in plastic) Oh, and I almost forgot the most important thing of the day. The highlight so to speak. Did you know when using a hot shot that prime charges you should uncharge it before setting it down. Or at least set it down so that the probes are on the ground and not facing up cause the hotshot can fall over and if by chance the thing brushes you on its way down - say in the back for instance - the hotshot doesn't know differentiate between you or a cow.

Yes, its been an eventful day. I even gave some thought of selling the cows and buying a big diesel truck and an aluminum horse trailer complete with its own man cave along with a horse and I'll just buy square bales at the feed store so maybe then I'll have some fun. :cowboy:

OH MY!!! Is it really THAT bad???? Quick....somebody has to do an intervention....I can't get there in time! :lol2:

depressed.gif
I am very sorry about your cows. The loss is sickening.

Ahh jeese Jo, I'm so sorry to hear that. You have a good attitude towards all this but man, what a loss. A friend of ours lost 1 to lightning last year and another friend lost 6 another year.

That lightning is pretty powerful stuff. Up at the farm where I'd been working it had struck a post in one of the horse paddocks and that post was splintered and scattered for almost 2o feet and had left a burnt hole in the ground almost a foot deep. There were chunks of "melted" dirt that looked like brown, cloudy glass.

As for the insurance question by TennTux, I don't have it. I looked into it and at the time it wasn't worth it.

Katherine

TennesseeTuxedo":230coarj said:
That was going to be my question GA, how many of you out there carry insurance for events such as this?

Why or why not?
I've got mine insured against lightening only and not theft or anything else. It's pretty inexpensive. With my insurer Farm Bureau you can insure as many or as few as you want. I asked the agent if he needed tag or tatoo #'s or anything and he said no. I insured about half the number of cows and calves I usually have and the one bull I keep. I think I insured the cows for $1000, calves for $500, and the bull for $3000. I probably should raise the $ coverage on the calves and cows since the prices are better than when I started the policy.

Not good at all.

I keep my cattle insured for broad form perils which would include lightning, theft, drowning, shooting, collision, unloading/loading accidents and several other things.

Hartford is 250 bucks year for up to 250 hd I think. Mortality only not theft or escape

I have an umbrella policy but whether it does lightning on cattle or not I don't know nor does the secretary at my insurance office. (I think, as usual, my agent is doing some work on the golf course) I suspect not and figure I'll get to eat the loss. The agent is supposed to call me back and let me know something.

Here is the bad thing - if its true. There is a theory that lightning travels cetain paths and the next storm will place another strike not far from this same spot. I don't know if this theory has ever been proven but in cities its pretty easy to map out tree strikes on homesites over a summer. The is a clear line. Once the path is determined you can get a general idea of the vincinity of the next strike on next storm as this has something to do with the earth's magnetism and all that stuff. If this is true, I just hope its moving either east or west.

Jogeephus":2a4e3pja said:
I have an umbrella policy but whether it does lightning on cattle or not I don't know nor does the secretary at my insurance office. (I think, as usual, my agent is doing some work on the golf course) I suspect not and figure I'll get to eat the loss. The agent is supposed to call me back and let me know something.

Here is the bad thing - if its true. There is a theory that lightning travels cetain paths and the next storm will place another strike not far from this same spot. I don't know if this theory has ever been proven but in cities its pretty easy to map out tree strikes on homesites over a summer. The is a clear line. Once the path is determined you can get a general idea of the vincinity of the next strike on next storm as this has something to do with the earth's magnetism and all that stuff. If this is true, I just hope its moving either east or west.
if it is,, i would no doubt pick the spot to put em where it did... sorry to see that

Latest posts