The highlands are here! (Pics inside)

Help Support CattleToday:

Gliderider

Reaction score
Well they have finally arrived. Babies in tow. Everyone safe and sound! Thanks for all the advice ya'll have given me so far. I'm sure I'l have a million more questions soon enough. Here are the pictures.

Group shot.
cows2.jpg

Here is the white cow and her calf.
aubrey.jpg

Here is a close up of the calf.
ababy1.jpg

Here is the black cow.
blackcowfront.jpg

And her calf.
baby2.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Boy that breed would literally die from heat exhaustion down here... and i bet mildew would grow all in their hair because it is so humid here.

wow thay are great! did they do ok when you got them in the field? now i got a million questions LOL looks like the babies are gonna be hams for taken pics... i got my fence hot yesterday, gonna go get my highlands next sat. if weather hold up...... now i really have cow fever! LOL glad you got yours home safe and sound.. are they adjusting well to a new zip code? was gonna try to get mine to day but it would be rushing to get them here before dark so im waiting till week end gonna be about an 3 1/2 hr ride.. congrats! Rose

They did fine when we put them in the field at 2:30 this morning. :shock: Just walked off the trailer and into the pasture. Well the calves kind of tumbled out of the trailer, missed the stepdown. They didn't do much but rest and relax today, not that I expect them to do much at all...lol. They have ajusted well and are eating and drinking.
We didn't get to bed until after 4am and I couldn't wait til morning so I could get out there and take a good look at them. I'm happy, and the calves are too cute! I think they are both heifers. I thought they were bull when I first saw them, til I noticed which area the pee was coming from, so I'm sure the little black one is a heifer. Haven't seen the other one go yet. I didn't realize the navel was so prominent.
Anyway, thanks for the replies! And Good luck on getting yours. Be sure to post pics when you do get them!

Great cows. I'd forgotten how adorable those pure Highland calves are. Now I want a few again! :lol: Congrats on your new cows, you'll have a great time with them.:)

Those are the neatest looking cows! Is that what you mainly raise? They look like they need to be petted! Enjoyed the photos!

NCM

Thanks alot gliderider!!!

My wife just saw your brown ewok and said "why don't we have any of those. Those are cute."

I don't think they would like the weather here, though. Supposed to be 81 tomorrow.

NewCowboy":zf97fnsb said:
Those are the neatest looking cows! Is that what you mainly raise? They look like they need to be petted! Enjoyed the photos!

NCM

We are just starting out and these are our first. We do have a couple of dairy calves, but they will be going to sale in the next month or so.

cypressfarms":zf97fnsb said:
Thanks alot gliderider!!!

My wife just saw your brown ewok and said "why don't we have any of those. Those are cute."

I don't think they would like the weather here, though. Supposed to be 81 tomorrow.

LOL....sorry about that. But they are so cute you just have to have one or two.

Thanks everyone, we are happy that they are finally here and healthy and happy. They have the front pasture all to themselves, and seem to enjoy rolling the new bale of hay around. :p I guess I'll have to get another round bale feeder.

When can I introduce (If at all) they dairy calves to the highlands. I'd like to keep them all together. If not then it's no big deal.

Get a tomb stone round bale feeder it works well with those horns. If you have some rocky type bush land let them on it. It does good things for their feet. Your black calf has some long legs for a highland eh? Are they reg.? You should still be able to get a few more good calves out of that 14 yr old. Glad to hear they made it there safe and sound. How old are your dairy calves?

S.R.R.":1xygyapx said:
Get a tomb stone round bale feeder it works well with those horns. If you have some rocky type bush land let them on it. It does good things for their feet. Your black calf has some long legs for a highland eh? Are they reg.? You should still be able to get a few more good calves out of that 14 yr old. Glad to hear they made it there safe and sound. How old are your dairy calves?

Thanks SRR, Thanks for the info on the round bale feeder, I'll check into it, we live in Rocky Ford, so no problems on the rocky ground. Everytime you turn around your tripping over rocks here.
She's cute isn't she? The white one is registered, the black cow is able to be registered, I called about getting them transfered and found out to get the black one registered we have to get DNA from her, and the parents. :p It's going to be a huge pain. Plus the tattooing. I didn't know you had to have them tattooed to registered. Oh well, it's all got to be done.
The dairy boys are 7 months old now and about 400#.

Gliderider":1yk4l1yw said:
S.R.R.":1yk4l1yw said:

Thanks SRR, Thanks for the info on the round bale feeder, I'll check into it, we live in Rocky Ford, so no problems on the rocky ground. Everytime you turn around your tripping over rocks here.
She's cute isn't she? The white one is registered, the black cow is able to be registered, I called about getting them transfered and found out to get the black one registered we have to get DNA from her, and the parents. :p It's going to be a huge pain. Plus the tattooing. I didn't know you had to have them tattooed to registered. Oh well, it's all got to be done.
The dairy boys are 7 months old now and about 400#.

I do not forsee a problem with putting your dairy calves out with the Highlands. 7 months is plenty old enough for them to get out of the way of those mamas horns if needed. If you do go ahead and get that black calfs DNA done I would be interested to know what percent Highland it is. Some people call the tomb stone feeders horse feeders. Be sure and get the thicker steel you wont regret it.

i printed a couple pics today of momas and babies and took to work with me, { i work at the nursing home doing hair} everyone loved them, ,youd thought they was mine LOL i told everyone hopefull i have pic of mine next week. im all the time farmming withthe old folks, we have a good time talking mules, and things they've done years ago. couple guys there use to be cattle farmers they really enjoyed the pic and talking cows..
glad they settled right in.. ol moma still looks good, glad you were able to get them, i know mr barker was moving and need to place them there was no way i was ready for them yet.. keep the pic comming Rose

Latest posts