The decision to pull calf.

Help Support CattleToday:

Cowpuncher

Reaction score
I was wondering how long you guys wait before you decide to pull calves. I think I pull the trigger to quickly much of the time. And I guess some depends on the cow or heifer.

On heifers we like to give them an hour, if they are making progress then we'll leave them alone, but if they haven't gotten anywhere then we pull. That's after the waterbag is present. Cows 1/2 hour.

randiliana":3r5n6qc9 said:
On heifers we like to give them an hour, if they are making progress then we'll leave them alone, but if they haven't gotten anywhere then we pull. That's after the waterbag is present. Cows 1/2 hour.
That's pretty much the ROT

Now what do you guys mean when you say pull? I usually give an hour and give a little tug if shes laying down to get the ball rolling to get the calf out. I wouldnt really consider that "pulling the calf" like it was a difficult birth. I consider it pulling a calf when I gotta get chains. So what your definition?

I figure if you give any assistance its a pull. Now a pull can vary from what you're talking about (convenience assist more or less) to the point where you're going to cripple the cow and/or calf. I mostly define them by Easy Pull or Hard Pull. Easy is if one person can do it, hard requires 2 people and/or the calf puller.

I always wondered how people distinguished weither it was a defined pull or not.

I have another question for you, I am only assuming not everyone farms or raises cattle for a living. What do you guys and gals do when your herd is going to calve about your day job? do you call in take vacation sick day or go in late? I appoligize for that question, its kind of personal, put say you have a few heifers are you around when labor starts or do you chaulk it up as shyt happens and let nature take its course!

BryanM":1xei49du said:
I always wondered how people distinguished weither it was a defined pull or not.

I have another question for you, I am only assuming not everyone farms or raises cattle for a living. What do you guys and gals do when your herd is going to calve about your day job? do you call in take vacation sick day or go in late? I appoligize for that question, its kind of personal, put say you have a few heifers are you around when labor starts or do you chaulk it up as shyt happens and let nature take its course!

There's been a time or two that I took off work on short notice because of something coming up with my cattle, but my boss is very understanding about it (she was raised on a dairy, so she understands that stuff happens). With that being said, I always tell her to let me know if it's a problem. I don't want my secondary income (which is some years just a tax-deductible hobby) to interfere with my primary income.

When I say assist I mean bending over for a few seconds and giving a little pressure. If I gotta get on the ground and actually pull with no chains then that an easy pull. I only had to use chains once and that was when yearling heifer I bought calved at 16 months old. That was a hard pull.

Latest posts