The best days are never planned

Help Support CattleToday:

Ouachita

Reaction score
It just happens; those days you never plan anything special, but it just happens. I'm ashamed to admit I decided (yes, premeditated) to skip church this morning. My reason was, it was an exceptionally nice day for finishing up with getting some garden stuff in......fence around said garden......stare at the cows......watch the grass grow......tinker with stuff, and etc. Well, when my youngest daughter (age 9) found out that I was going to play hookie, she ask mom if she could stay home with daddy and help me "work". Mom approved.
About 2 minutes after mom and the other kids closed the gate, Hannah ask "So, what ya wanna do daddy?" :D Now, what is the only way a dad can answer that question? We loaded up the fishing poles and tackle, ice chest, picnic lunch, and off down the hill to the pond (tank, for you Texans :D ). At 10am the water was like glass; no wind. While dad is putting new line on all the reels, Hannah catches the first crappie. Wind picked up, but that didn't bother the fish, and we had a perfect day; father/daughter fishing, talking, laughing, getting the 4-wheeler stuck, picked a few ticks off the dogs...........When mom and kids got home from church she threw some beef burgers on the grill, and they are the best I've ever had; had 4 so far today and I feel like one of those ticks looked.
Great day. I'm pretty certain God was with us in His Church today! Praise God for those special and unplanned days!

alisonb":1ugt48sv said:
Ouachita":1ugt48sv said:
Praise God for those special and unplanned days!
Ya contradict yourself young man.... and I wanna know what was in the ice chest ;-)

How did I contradict myself? And if I'm a young man, then you're young too; I don't think we're far apart in age :D Now, the beer didn't happen along until MUCH later in the evening, and that may have been a contributing factor in getting the 4 wheeler stuck :lol: Forgot to mention rolling up our pant legs and catching a jug full of crawdads. Did ya'll know they like onion?

Ouachita":2ushfsas said:
Great day. I'm pretty certain God was with us in His Church today! Praise God for those special and unplanned days!

Unplanned by you maybe but I wouldn't bet that it was totally unplanned. Great story enjoyed the read. I wish there were more Daddy's who would have unplanned days with their kids it would make the world a much better place. Thanks for sharing your story with us and for sharing your time with your family.

Ouachita":3j7o65ta said:
alisonb":3j7o65ta said:
Praise God for those special and unplanned days!
Ya contradict yourself young man.... and I wanna know what was in the ice chest ;-)

How did I contradict myself? And if I'm a young man, then you're young too; I don't think we're far apart in age :D Now, the beer didn't happen along until MUCH later in the evening, and that may have been a contributing factor in getting the 4 wheeler stuck :lol: Forgot to mention rolling up our pant legs and catching a jug full of crawdads. Did ya'll know they like onion?

I'm ashamed to admit I decided (yes, premeditated) to skip church this morning.
OK then, it was a premeditated unplanned day :p .

OK ali, you got me. The intent was to stay home and catch up on work. The unplanned part was when mom actually allowed my daughter to skip too, resulting in the days activities (NOT work).
Deepsouth may have nailed it. God, wife, daughter.....one or all may have had a plan for me that day, that I didn't know about, but what a welcome surprise!

My wife and I work together at our day job. Today, she left early, and took my dog with her. I wondered where she was going.

I got home a few minutes before her and helped her unload the groceries. She announced that we were having our granddaughters birthday party early, because of "our" (she!) miscommunication with our daughter-in-law.

Then I fetched a cold beer in one hand and a Hefty bag of trash in the other. I know I only spent five minutes outside burning the trash.

I walked back into the house five minutes later, and my darlin (Grammy) is cutting up a baked cake. As a certifyable doofus, I didn't know anyone could bake a cake that fast…….but I know this gal; she has amazed me a time or three.

She lets me know that she baked the cake last week, then poked in the freezer, and had just pulled it out when I walked up.

I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't know she baked a cake last week. I shouldn't be expected to keep up with these things? Lordy! Life has a way of pulling me up, and I won't tell her the feet/legs are backward and goofy looking.
C65E2250-A4D5-489A-AE47-559A2BA11C0A.jpegAB37EB54-F896-43F5-9481-02E12D162B3D.jpeg
3D52947B-932F-4349-96B5-4DA229CEE25E.jpeg

It just happens; those days you never plan anything special, but it just happens. I'm ashamed to admit I decided (yes, premeditated) to skip church this morning. My reason was, it was an exceptionally nice day for finishing up with getting some garden stuff in......fence around said garden......stare at the cows......watch the grass grow......tinker with stuff, and etc. Well, when my youngest daughter (age 9) found out that I was going to play hookie, she ask mom if she could stay home with daddy and help me "work". Mom approved.
About 2 minutes after mom and the other kids closed the gate, Hannah ask "So, what ya wanna do daddy?" :D Now, what is the only way a dad can answer that question? We loaded up the fishing poles and tackle, ice chest, picnic lunch, and off down the hill to the pond (tank, for you Texans :D ). At 10am the water was like glass; no wind. While dad is putting new line on all the reels, Hannah catches the first crappie. Wind picked up, but that didn't bother the fish, and we had a perfect day; father/daughter fishing, talking, laughing, getting the 4-wheeler stuck, picked a few ticks off the dogs...........When mom and kids got home from church she threw some beef burgers on the grill, and they are the best I've ever had; had 4 so far today and I feel like one of those ticks looked.
Your daughter is 20 now? Still go fishing with her?

Your daughter is 20 now? Still go fishing with her?
She's 21yo. I married her off in May. Just learned yesterday that she's going to have a baby in March. They didn't waste any time.
I think the last time we went fishing was at the beginning of the pandemic, during the "two weeks to flatten the curve". Her employer shut down, and I decided to take a few days off.
She is our youngest, so we're empty nesters now. We are fortunate to have grandkids close. Pretty sure my darlin' would pull her hair out if she didn't have grandkids around to distract her from me.

Latest posts