Thanksgiving Tradition? and plans?

Help Support CattleToday:

mitchwi

Reaction score
Thanksgiving is my personal favorite holiday of the year. To me it is the one holiday we are able to enjoy just being together.

Hubby is on-call this year, so he does not get to go deer hunting, and we cannot travel. So many of our family hunt at the farm, and there will be no dinner there :shock: this year. We don't have a "formal" dinner, I have friends who do it that way. We are having open invite to anyone willing to travel to our house, and will have the dinner late afternoon so the hunters can get a good long day in ;-)

Only tradition that I must have every year is my mom's stuffing... makes my mouth water thinking about it :D

Oh yeah, and there has to be Turkey.

Just curious what traditions anyone else may have?

Michele

This year it looks like we're breaking with tradition. My wife doesn't have to work. :clap: I think she has for about the last five years straight.

We're going to a friends place to gather up for the feed. Probably six or eight families. That equals a dozen or so younguns so it should not be dull. It's supposed to be nice and in the seventies so we'll push the picnic tables end to end and eat on the deck.Z

Heading to my Mama's family's annual Thanksgiving reunion in Alabama. Used to go every year but its been a few years since I've been able to go, so I'm looking forward to seeing all the cousins. The food's pretty good too :D

Chris

I have to cook this year. :roll: And since we have 2 hogs in the freezer, the main course will be pork. But the turkey will be on the table too.

I'd like to know what an outsider would expect to see on everyone's table on Thanksgiving. I'd be willing to bet that there is a lot of regional differences.

certherfbeef":208xikd6 said:
I have to cook this year. :roll: And since we have 2 hogs in the freezer, the main course will be pork. But the turkey will be on the table too.

I'd like to know what an outsider would expect to see on everyone's table on Thanksgiving. I'd be willing to bet that there is a lot of regional differences.
well here we have turkey breast an ham for the meats.as well as dressing an casaroles of differant kinds.mashed an sweet taters.dessarts are cakes an pies peacan an coconut german choc cake.an lets not forget the rolls.

We go to my parents house along with my siblings and their children. My mama is an excellent cook. She makes the turkey and dressing along with some sides. We all bring various things, casseroles, pies etc. Some of the things we usually have besides the turkey and dressing are cooks brand smoked ham(baked),cherry salad, green beans and potatoes,rolls, and have to have buttermilk and sweet potato pie! yum!!! I have to give daddy credit also since he tastes the dressing before it is cooked to see if it needs anything.
Oh, the men watch the football game.

A smoked turkey oven cooked ham with the pinapple rings and cherries and all on it. Smashed potatos and baked sweet potatos with melted marshmellows on them and dressing. Jello/whipped cream salad with fruit in it, a tossed salad and a bowl of sliced tomatos. Meskin cornbread and, rolls and knowing who's coming, about four or five different types of pie. Sweet Ice Tea and misc. adult beverages.Z

Thanksgiving day will be as usual here, all the kids who live within driving range [ 4 of 7] will be here for dinner. We always hope that one who live far away will suprise us.

We will have turkey and all that goes with it. My wife is a excellent cook. Her special is home made chicken noodles. She will bake at least 8 pies.

The grandchrildren will all want to stay over night, play cards with grand pap and grandma and eat leftovers.

We are a close family, we get togeather almost every holiday. The kids who can't come home always call.

My brothers and their families will be here. One (at least) brings his gun with just in case a deer runs across the field. :p Turkey with all the fixings; cranberry salad and pie are traditions.

Boss gave me the day off from feeding calves, but I milk that night.

Baked ham, boled pinter beans and either tortillas or corn bread.

dun

Baked ham, sweet tater biskets, butter beans, white rice, greens, and a big tall glass of unsweet tea. Then have Sweet tater biskets and ham for 3 days.

Gathering the kids that can be home and having the meal at our house. I get to make the dressing this year and probably cook the bird, the daughter who live in town will make the beans and a pie. Susie has been baking apple pies for the past day or so.
In the evening the extended family gathers for desert at one of her sister's place..she has three sisters and three brothers who all live within ten miles of each other.
DMc

bigbull338":1igkrbiv said:
well here we have turkey breast an ham for the meats.as well as dressing an casaroles of differant kinds.mashed an sweet taters.dessarts are cakes an pies peacan an coconut german choc cake.an lets not forget the rolls.
I'm goin' to Bigbulls.

come on ollie theres enough for me an you.i know we got 2 cakes to eat right now,a pineapple upside down cake an a itialian cream cake .going tobe some good eating.

bigbull338":308itw1x said:
come on ollie theres enough for me an you.i know we got 2 cakes to eat right now,a pineapple upside down cake an a itialian cream cake .going tobe some good eating.
Man I like upside down cake but where did the german chocolate go? That should be the main course! MMMMmmmmmm lip smacking good.

ollie'":2432fcr5 said:
bigbull338":2432fcr5 said:
Man I like upside down cake but where did the german chocolate go? That should be the main course! MMMMmmmmmm lip smacking good.
well the german choc cake is still in the deal. but thats my private stock cake.an you can help me eat it.

Latest posts