Thanks to the cedar tree

Help Support CattleToday:

plbcattle

Reaction score
I was trying to tag a calf today. most moms will maybe act a little tough but will retreat, some will even just stand there as I weigh and tag the calf. I pet them and some moms just are like, whatever. AND then there is this kind: the one that comes at you like Brian Urlacher trying to sack you. Her plan was to smash me into the ground and had it not been for a lone cedar tree that allowed me to get under and around the other side, I would probably have either been in the hospital or eating some expensive registered Brangus meat. 10 years of Brazilian Jui-Jitsu came in handy. Back peddling on my rear and trying to keep something from kicking me and get back to my feet is something I have done thousands of times. Hey, I will see if that works trying to get the wife convinced that it would be good for my 5 and 3 year old. Needless to say the calf will have to wait for his tagging. So to all of you guys in texas who hate cedar, there is one fan in AR of cedar trees.

I had almost the exact experience about 10 years ago. I was looking for a Brangus heifer and found her in the thorn bushes and cedars laying down to have her calf. As soon as she saw me she charged, and I slipped behind a small cedar. She went crashing through the thorns. I made a step away from the tree and she was back again. We danced around that cedar for about 30 minutes. By then it was dark and someone missed me. The neighbor scared her off with a shotgun and picked me up on his fourwheeler. The next morning she had her calf. I learned a lot of lessons that day.

If you need more cedars, swing on by. A lot of them are just tops but they'll still make good screens to duck behind. You can also get all of the seeds you want, got way too many female trees.

dun

Someone bottle fed a buck deer. When he got to be two years old they turned him loose in the wild. I built a half mile road across a lease I had through a cedar break. Left the backhoe and went back for the truck. Next thing I know I have this buck on my back with his ears laid back like a mule would and he was growling almost like a dog. I crashed through cedar trees for a long time.

Ever since that experience, I know why you are not suppose to raise bucks bottle fed. They will grow up to kill someone. All it takes is the rut and they have no natural fear of humans.

Anyway, cedar trees saved my tail that day.

Latest posts