Thank you Vets and in-service military personnel!

Help Support CattleToday:

Kathie in Thorp

Reaction score
Our military forces, past and present, can never get enough recognition for their service! THANK YOU, to all of you out there in CT world who have "been there," for all you've done and for all you do; for your sacrifices large and small and ultimate!

This is the day I call my family members and friends that have served or are serving, and thank them. I hope you'll take a few minutes on this holiday and do the same.

Amen, thank you all from the bottom of my heart. My little family appreciates the sacrifices you, your spouses and kids have made for us.

Here, here! A salute to all our veterans who have served and are serving the USA! And here's hoping we can get it together to help returning vets receive the best medical care and find good employment opportunities!

Gale Seddon":1rw8fzki said:
Here, here! A salute to all our veterans who have served and are serving the USA! And here's hoping we can get it together to help returning vets receive the best medical care and find good employment opportunities!

That, too!!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! It is because of you that allows all of us to presue whatever endeavors we wish. -- How many think there is a Cattle Today Forum like this in China?

May God Bless every single one of you, and you will always have my support.

It's Friday night....give it time...sometimes I can look at something but don't have time to respond. I think this topic is near and dear to a lot of CT people's hearts!

Kathie in Thorp":1axm5j12 said:
I find it hard to believe that only 42 people on the board have looked at this post, and there are less than 6 responses. ????
A simple thanks on an open forum doesn't even begin to cover how I feel about it... I almost didn't even read the thread because I know there's nothing that we can say that will even begin to be thanks enough to those who have bought our freedom for us.

I went to beautiful services this morning . I am thankful everyday, not just when we are "supposed to be" . Being married to someone whose family nearly starved to death and country was ravaged by WW11, we live with it daily . Freedom is something that we do not take for granted ,as without those allied forces I would not have my husband in my life today . If not for the brave men and women of yesterday, today and tomorrow, we would not have anything .Grateful for their and their families sacrifices doesn't begin to say how we feel in the hillsdown home about the Veterens and those serving right now.

My husbands family sacrificed their lives to hide many Jewish families as well, his grandpa hid them in the attic of the farm house meanwhile the Nazi's had taken control of the castle 1/4 of a mile away . They shared food when there was not enough for even their families . I am proud to have married into this family ,as well as having many of my own family ,friends and neighbors that have served throughout the years. :heart:

Kathie in Thorp":2wqs21wh said:
WOW!!! Hillsdown, you have amazing history. Thanks for sharing it! Bless you and yours, who help us keep this USA day special. :)

It is Remembrance Day in Canada Kathie, the Canadian version of your Veterans/Armistice Day, always has been and always will be on Nov.11th. ;-)

As for history, yes I am very grateful and forever in dept for the Canadian forces that stayed back in The Netherlands instead of pushing through, to keep my husbands family and friends safe and making sure they had food to eat ,not just tulip bulbs. V-E day in Ommen the city close to where my husband grew up ,used to get hundreds of thousands of visitors during that time ,mostly Canadians who had served or their family had served and are treated like gold . :D There is also a cemetery near by where the allied forces are buried ; I try to visit each time I go over there . In the area we live in now, in Aberta we had 5 close neighbors that since have passed away ,they all served in WW11 and were stationed in Holland , we spent many hours with them listening to the stories of their heroic efforts and the sacrifices they each made during that time, am blessed to have met them and to have known them .

Hillsdown, what was your family history where this took place . . . Poland, France, Belgium, Holland?

I think you just answered this, before asked. I was typing, while you were typing.

Kathie in Thorp":1ug9y7j6 said:
Hillsdown, what was your family history where this took place . . . Poland, France, Belgium, Holland?

I think you just answered this, before asked.

Holland, 15 minutes from the German border Kathie. We spent our honeymoon in Europe , and stayed in Bremen,Germany in this beautiful old hotel 5 blocks from the soccer stadium downtown Bremen. The Hotel was owned and operated by Holocaust survivors , and both were the only surviving members of each respective family. They were the sweetest, kindest ,couple and when they found out that my husband a Dutchman had married me a Canadian gal they were tickled pink. :lol2:

They invited us down for dinner in their private dining room that evening and prepared a traditional dinner for us themselves which was phenomenal (schnitzel, spaetzle , omgoodness, the works) and then again for breakfast that morning . What a feast that was as well , home made Pate and real German Butter cheese, not the stuff we get here but the stuff that melts in your mouth like butter the fluffiest scrambled eggs I have ever tasted .They even made us lunch to take along for the rest of our drive home . The top part of the hotel had been demolished by the Nazi's ,but the bottom was still standing and you should have seen the art work that was in there ,WOW !! Thank goodness my husband speaks German as well, as they spoke only German but did understand a little English. Last I heard they are still there and I would love to go back to see them soon before it is too late .

I have to add too that Becks on tap in Bremen ,to die for. The best draft beer I have ever had in my life . :nod:

hillsdown":2wgbh4vs said:
Kathie in Thorp":2wgbh4vs said:

I think you just answered this, before asked.

Holland, 15 minutes from the German border Kathie. We spent our honeymoon in Europe , and stayed in Bremen,Germany in this beautiful old hotel 5 blocks from the soccer stadium downtown Bremen. The Hotel was owned and operated by Holocaust survivors , and both were the only surviving members of each respective family. They were the sweetest, kindest ,couple and when they found out that my husband a Dutchman had married me a Canadian gal they were tickled pink. :lol2:

They invited us down for dinner in their private dining room that evening and prepared a traditional dinner for us themselves which was phenomenal (schnitzel, spaetzle , omgoodness, the works) and then again for breakfast that morning . What a feast that was as well , home made Pate and real German Butter cheese, not the stuff we get here but the stuff that melts in your mouth like butter the fluffiest scrambled eggs I have ever tasted .They even made us lunch to take along for the rest of our drive home . The top part of the hotel had been demolished by the Nazi's ,but the bottom was still standing and you should have seen the art work that was in there ,WOW !! Thank goodness my husband speaks German as well, as they spoke only German but did understand a little English. Last I heard they are still there and I would love to go back to see them soon before it is too late .

I have to add too that Becks on tap in Bremen ,to die for. The best draft beer I have ever had in my life . :nod:

My husband was USA Army, stationed in Germany, near Munich, as a radio man, 1963-1965. He was wild, crazy and brave then, and was itching to go to Vietnam, when USA first sent in advisor types. They told him he didn't have enough rank to do that -- he said "Give me the rank, and I'll go!" Well, they didn't, and in hindsight, we are both thankful that he didn't have to do Vietnam. We don't wake up with nightmares. He did get to see much of Europe. I hope you get to go back!

Thanks Kathie. :)

My husband was Dutch Marines, he was out right before the first war in Iraq under Bush . He had just immigrated to Canada and I met him a few years later. We just celebrated our 17th wedding anniversary in Aug.

hillsdown":xasew6et said:
Thanks Kathie. :)

My husband was Dutch Marines, he was out right before the first war in Iraq under Bush . He had just immigrated to Canada and I met him a few years later. We just celebrated our 17th wedding anniversary in Aug.
Larry and I met 37 years ago or so; dated for awhile. He was still sort of wild and crazy -- walk through the fire-pit kind of guy -- and not settle-down material at the time, and I had a 3-yr. old. I didn't think he'd be good in my life at the time. We met up again just over 5 yrs. ago. He's better now! So I married him this time! :D

Being an old Viet Nam vet I would like to thank each and everyone who served and are still serving for their service to our country.
Its only the land of the free because of the brave.
I've served in 5 different countries and none compares to the good ol US of A.

Cal

Calman":plsex4e1 said:
Being an old Viet Nam vet I would like to thank each and everyone who served and are still serving for their service to our country.
Its only the land of the free because of the brave.
I've served in 5 different countries and none compares to the good ol US of A.

Cal
Thx!! Hugely! :D

Sorry Kathie for not replying to your thread earlier, we were busy with Celebrations of the Armistice. We hopefully will be going to the Cenotaph tomorrow to see the laying of the wreaths, by the old Soldiers and the Queen. We have had the one minute silence on 11th 11th, but there will be a two minute one on Sunday, after we go to the Church for Rememberance Service. I go to Church Service every year and it is a very emotional day. first one for years to the Cenotaph, I am going with my cousin as her Dad served in WW11 on board 'The HMS Rodney' he died last year, so we are going in his place. I lay a poppy for my Dad and another Uncle who served us on the solving of the 'Enigma Code' that helped to brake Hitlers messages. Their services I feel helped just as much as if they were at the front. They met some very interesting people of the War, I didn't know exactly what my Dad had done during the War until after he died, as he could not talk about it, it was my Aunt who told me what part he took, he always told us he built runways, I suppose in some ways he was telling us the truth, just not the kind we thought.

One thing that has annoyed me and most others in this Country this year is http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... ds-newsxml I couldn't beleive this when I read it... :mad:

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

GOD REST THIER SOULS....and take care of the lads still serving our Great Nations.....THANK YOU ALL...
securedownload-5.gif

poppy.jpg

chrisy":1s1xq5wb said:
Sorry Kathie for not replying to your thread earlier, we were busy with Celebrations of the Armistice. We hopefully will be going to the Cenotaph tomorrow to see the laying of the wreaths, by the old Soldiers and the Queen. We have had the one minute silence on 11th 11th, but there will be a two minute one on Sunday, after we go to the Church for Rememberance Service. I go to Church Service every year and it is a very emotional day. first one for years to the Cenotaph, I am going with my cousin as her Dad served in WW11 on board 'The HMS Rodney' he died last year, so we are going in his place. I lay a poppy for my Dad and another Uncle who served us on the solving of the 'Enigma Code' that helped to brake Hitlers messages. Their services I feel helped just as much as if they were at the front. They met some very interesting people of the War, I didn't know exactly what my Dad had done during the War until after he died, as he could not talk about it, it was my Aunt who told me what part he took, he always told us he built runways, I suppose in some ways he was telling us the truth, just not the kind we thought.

One thing that has annoyed me and most others in this Country this year is http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... ds-newsxml I couldn't beleive this when I read it... :mad:

GOD REST THIER SOULS....and take care of the lads still serving our Great Nations.....

My uncles, in-service during WW II, do not want to talk about it. 2 of those survive. I love your quote: "They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them." It's going on my FB page now.

Thank you for sharing, Chrisy!!

Latest posts