Texas & Oklahoma Urban Cowboys

Help Support CattleToday:

Amazing Bez only another responsible member replied.
First step to being a Cattlemean is learning you are responsible for your operation and no one else. My cattle got stolen is your fault, sick, died and etc. Old Belle is laying in the pasture sick should I calll the vet or go to a chat board or have a good mentor in the area meanwhile old Belle died you are responsible.
I have lost cattle over the years it was my fault I was the responsible party. Until you start realizing you are responsible for everthing that goes right or wrong with the operation you will have a tough hill to climb.
I am responsible for all the fence losses in Rita, poor planing in leaving all those trees along fencelines.
So when your cattle get stolen or a law is passed you don't like concerning the industry don't come crying on the board if you were not responsible enough to join your state cattle association you part of the problem not the solution.
Start being responsible operator/owners today.

I can speak on the Local level only, BUT you would be amazed how many are not a Member of the Tennessee Cattlemen's Association. For 40.00 a year, I know I at least have a voice in what's going on, and have some more representation in the business. Any Cattleman in any State is doing him/herself an injustice to not join up.

im a member of the ACA but i got tired of all the politics at our meetings [ you scratch my back ill scratch yours] bs and quit going i swear my cattle are more intelligent than some of these leaders :(

Interesting comments. We also got tired of all of the politics - and lack of programs at the local leverl - so wife ran for -and was elected to the board. She has been on it for about three years.

Politics is a natural part of any elected body.

In order to truly affect any changes one has to get involved and stay involved. Otherwise it becomes a meaningless exercise.

So, if you are tired of it - imagine how many others are as well. Take a run and make your changes. Sooner or later - it is a matter of time - you will be voted out - but while you are involved you can make your time a valuable contribution.

New programs under the new regime here:

1. Expanded youth program.
2. Heavy political lobbying at the provincial and federal level.
3. Local initiatives to assist producers to plan their marketing strategies.
4. Free advice on how to sell out the farm gate.
5. Stratgeies for vaccination that fits YOUR specific herd.
6. Continual consultation with a couple of excellend and involved veterinarians.
7. Mobile weigh scales for the small producer. Members get charged 10 bucks to weigh the first 30 animals - buck a piece for the remainder. The operators are volunteers - I know because I am one of the volunteers. Our expenses are covered buy the local org.
8. Annual seminars on better management practices for the new producer.
9. New and improved news letter that passes on ideas and legislation changes in a timely manner.
10. Group liability insurance at a killer price.

And a bunch more that have escaped me at this time.

All of the above and more for a 10 buck annual fee.

All because a few folks decided to get involved.

It works if you get involved - and you certainly pick up a bunch of great new ideas by meeting with folks every couple of months at the local get togethers.

Bez!

Bez!":1asnn4oa said:
Interesting comments. We also got tired of all of the politics - and lack of programs at the local leverl - so wife ran for -and was elected to the board. She has been on it for about three years.

Politics is a natural part of any elected body.

In order to truly affect any changes one has to get involved and stay involved. Otherwise it becomes a meaningless exercise.

So, if you are tired of it - imagine how many others are as well. Take a run and make your changes. Sooner or later - it is a matter of time - you will be voted out - but while you are involved you can make your time a valuable contribution.

New programs under the new regime here:

1. Expanded youth program.
2. Heavy political lobbying at the provincial and federal level.
3. Local initiatives to assist producers to plan their marketing strategies.
4. Free advice on how to sell out the farm gate.
5. Stratgeies for vaccination that fits YOUR specific herd.
6. Continual consultation with a couple of excellend and involved veterinarians.
7. Mobile weigh scales for the small producer. Members get charged 10 bucks to weigh the first 30 animals - buck a piece for the remainder. The operators are volunteers - I know because I am one of the volunteers. Our expenses are covered buy the local org.
8. Annual seminars on better management practices for the new producer.
9. New and improved news letter that passes on ideas and legislation changes in a timely manner.
10. Group liability insurance at a killer price.

And a bunch more that have escaped me at this time.

All of the above and more for a 10 buck annual fee.

All because a few folks decided to get involved.

It works if you get involved - and you certainly pick up a bunch of great new ideas by meeting with folks every couple of months at the local get togethers.

Bez!

This is so true.
If you want changes you must get involved.
Not to get off of cattle, but where we lived in the city we wasn't liking things that were going on in our childrens school district. Everyone was complaining, but NO ONE wanted to do anything. We did with a few supporters and my husband got elected to School Board and we did make many positive changes. We did a petition to fire the school superintendent and got over a thousand signatures. The board started paying attention when that many people signed. I started a website and wrote letters to state officials. We definitely made a impact on education in that city.

Well, I was a member of the BC Cattlemens association, until someone thought that they needed to enact a 'horn levy fund' in order to please the feeder's association.

Now when you ship cattle, if you have a calf with horn visible past the hair or mature animals with 3/4" of horn or longer then you get charged $10.00 a head by the brand inspector ( a job that they don't relish as it's really not their jurisdiction), although the OII (Ownership Identification Inc - provincially designated brand inspectors) states on their website that the horn charge is $2.00 per head, so perhaps they haven't updated their website.

Anyway, that kind of frosted my cookies, as even though we do our best to dehorn, it sure seems like another hand in the pocket of the grassroots of the beef industry - not to mention a bit biased against some of the naturally horned stock such as the Horned Herefords, etc.

Also due to the CCA's policy of "let's not make any waves with the big money by asking for 100% testing" when the Canadian cattle industry was in dire straits due to the first BSE case, I've become thoroughly disenchanted with them as well.

A direct quote from one gentleman at the CCA that I was talking with "We don't want to raise the bar for the BSE testing standards in Canada because that might not sit well with our counterparts in the US and it will not help get the border opened if we follow that line." Yeah...and it had only been shut for almost a year when I talked with him at that point. The "wait and see" attitude that they were promoting really did us a world of good for that first year, and finally into the second year they started to make noises about some proactive ideas for the industry. :roll:

Of course, the BCCA followed the sterling example set out by the CCA...more "yes sir, no sir, how high do you want us to jump, sir?". Disgusting.

Maybe someone will form a more commonsense organisation one day, but right now there seems to be a lack of concern for the producers' point of view in these existing ones.

Take care.

a few years ago there was a man that i new but you didnt see him at any meetings at all. none of the feild days nothing. i didnt even know he had cattle all of a sudden he decides he wants to go to the top with a help of some of the officers he!! not only was he voted county president. he went all the way to the state in a office cant remember which one. i wasnt even gonna bother with rejoining this year but a friend thats on the board came to the barn a couple a weeks ago and talked me back into it. i guess the steak dinner for the family each year i want lose to much .

CattleAnnie":357fvth1 said:
Well, I was a member of the BC Cattlemens association, until someone thought that they needed to enact a 'horn levy fund' in order to please the feeder's association.

Now when you ship cattle, if you have a calf with horn visible past the hair or mature animals with 3/4" of horn or longer then you get charged $10.00 a head by the brand inspector ( a job that they don't relish as it's really not their jurisdiction), although the OII (Ownership Identification Inc - provincially designated brand inspectors) states on their website that the horn charge is $2.00 per head, so perhaps they haven't updated their website.

Anyway, that kind of frosted my cookies, as even though we do our best to dehorn, it sure seems like another hand in the pocket of the grassroots of the beef industry - not to mention a bit biased against some of the naturally horned stock such as the Horned Herefords, etc.

Also due to the CCA's policy of "let's not make any waves with the big money by asking for 100% testing" when the Canadian cattle industry was in dire straits due to the first BSE case, I've become thoroughly disenchanted with them as well.

A direct quote from one gentleman at the CCA that I was talking with "We don't want to raise the bar for the BSE testing standards in Canada because that might not sit well with our counterparts in the US and it will not help get the border opened if we follow that line." Yeah...and it had only been shut for almost a year when I talked with him at that point. The "wait and see" attitude that they were promoting really did us a world of good for that first year, and finally into the second year they started to make noises about some proactive ideas for the industry. :roll:

Of course, the BCCA followed the sterling example set out by the CCA...more "yes sir, no sir, how high do you want us to jump, sir?". Disgusting.

Maybe someone will form a more commonsense organisation one day, but right now there seems to be a lack of concern for the producers' point of view in these existing ones.

Take care.

Wow! I don't forsee me shipping any cattle up there. My luck they would charge by the inch, and most of my herd will mature with 50+ inches.

ALACOWMAN":z85egloo said:
a few years ago there was a man that i new but you didnt see him at any meetings at all. none of the feild days nothing. i didnt even know he had cattle all of a sudden he decides he wants to go to the top with a help of some of the officers he!! not only was he voted county president. he went all the way to the state in a office cant remember which one. i wasnt even gonna bother with rejoining this year but a friend thats on the board came to the barn a couple a weeks ago and talked me back into it. i guess the steak dinner for the family each year i want lose to much .

I would guess he decided to get involved - more the merrier.

You may not like what you saw, but you did not run against him - or did you?

Like I say - every time I hear this type of story - and I hear it a lot. You want to make some changes?

Well, you can't make those changes sitting at home bitching over a coffee, tea or beer. You gotta' be up at the plate - making your stand. Otherwise you are out on your ear and you can be darned sure they do not miss you when you are not there.

It a lot like those folks who love to run down the local, state or fedderal government. I alsways ask them if they voted. You would be amazed how often they say no.

I usually respond with - "you have no right to complain if you did not exercise your franchise".

Regards,

Bez!

I would'nt join anything that would have you either. But while we're joking and posting, others have been wiped out by wildfires. Others have no feed for the surviving animals.Why don't we all dig down a little and send a donation to help them out. Donations can be sent to, CATTLEMENS DISASTER RELIEF FUND. 5501 I-40 WEST. AMARILLO, TX 79106 Hay donations: contact, BURT RUTHERFORD....806-358-3681

TSCRA e-xpress: Action Alert!

CATTLE GROUPS ESTABLISH DISASTER RELIEF FUND

For Immediate Release March 16, 2006

For Information: Burt Rutherford, TCFA (800) 299-8232

Matt Brockman, TSCRA (800) 242-7820

Keith Chapman, LMA of Texas (512) 863-7005

The Texas Cattle Feeders Association (TCFA), the Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association (TSCRA) and the Livestock Marketing Association of Texas (LMA) have established the Cattlemens Disaster Relief Fund. The fund, established at the Amarillo Area Foundation, will assist cattlemen affected by wildfires in the Texas Panhandle, as well as similar disasters in other areas of Texas, Oklahoma and New Mexico.

Even as fires continue to burn, cattle producers are dealing with dead and displaced cattle, destroyed fences and buildings and the loss of their land and livelihood. Estimates are that upwards of 1 million acres have burned and thousands of cattle and other livestock have died or been injured. Similar to the Cattlemens Hurricane Fund established last year, the groups will use the Disaster Fund to help cattle producers begin to put their lives back together.

In addition, hay and feed donations are being accepted. Staging areas for donated hay and feed have been established at several locations in the affected areas.

To make a donation, send a tax-deductible check made out to Cattlemens Disaster Relief Fund to 5501 I-40 West, Amarillo, TX 79106. For information on hay donations, contact Burt Rutherford at TCFA at (806) 358-3681.

Please do not reply to this message. It was sent by an automated mailing system to members of Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association.

Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association . . . protecting the stewards of land and livestock in the Southwest

Caustic Burno":2gu7buxv said:
TSCRA e-xpress: Action Alert!

CATTLE GROUPS ESTABLISH DISASTER RELIEF FUND

For Immediate Release March 16, 2006

For Information: Burt Rutherford, TCFA (800) 299-8232

Matt Brockman, TSCRA (800) 242-7820

Keith Chapman, LMA of Texas (512) 863-7005

The Texas Cattle Feeders Association (TCFA), the Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association (TSCRA) and the Livestock Marketing Association of Texas (LMA) have established the Cattlemens Disaster Relief Fund. The fund, established at the Amarillo Area Foundation, will assist cattlemen affected by wildfires in the Texas Panhandle, as well as similar disasters in other areas of Texas, Oklahoma and New Mexico.

Even as fires continue to burn, cattle producers are dealing with dead and displaced cattle, destroyed fences and buildings and the loss of their land and livelihood. Estimates are that upwards of 1 million acres have burned and thousands of cattle and other livestock have died or been injured. Similar to the Cattlemens Hurricane Fund established last year, the groups will use the Disaster Fund to help cattle producers begin to put their lives back together.

In addition, hay and feed donations are being accepted. Staging areas for donated hay and feed have been established at several locations in the affected areas.

To make a donation, send a tax-deductible check made out to Cattlemens Disaster Relief Fund to 5501 I-40 West, Amarillo, TX 79106. For information on hay donations, contact Burt Rutherford at TCFA at (806) 358-3681.

Please do not reply to this message. It was sent by an automated mailing system to members of Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association.

Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association . . . protecting the stewards of land and livestock in the Southwest
Why dont you make this a post so more people will read it. 680 people have already seen this post and may not check back in. I know that I wish someone had started a fund up here like this when people were loseing their shirts over BSE. If us Canuks send a donation today with the exchange rate as good as it is. Most of it just might get there :) .

Caustic Burno-
Quote..."you are responsible for your operation and no one else..."........you are responsible for everything that goes right or wrong with the operation."....
Just between me and you and the fencepost, I reckon I've failed you. I never saw it clearly before, the way you see it. Now I do. From here out, will tighten up the cinch and follow your lead. Much Obliged.

Latest posts