Texas Estray Laws??

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
Posting here so I may get most replies... :)

Last Friday an Angus yearling heifer tresspassed through our front gate. After 3 people and about 20 minutes got her herded (difficulty) into our corral.

Contacted our Sheriff. Plus put notice on our portable sign in front.

Checked back yesterday and today. Also, called couple neighbors with Angus. Still no word or "claims" on the heifer. She has a red ear tag and an obscured brand (can't decipher it). Told the Deputy this morning that I wanted her out... Also told him if I had to haul her to sale barn this week didn't want to get charged with "Cattle Rustling"...he laughed...

SO...all you Texas cattle people...(pending official word from our Sheriff)...

What's your opinion on hauling an Estray to Sale Barn after we've been keeping her for a week? Any of you had experiences with something like this?

:cowboy:

In my county, the animal is moved to the county holding facility and an ad is run in the paper for a certain amount of time, regarding "found cow, horse, donkey,ect"..after the perscribed time, the animal is auctioned off.

Our county and the joining counties all have holding pens for livestock... They keep them for a week or two and then put an ad in local paper.... If no one claims her then the county gets the money from selling her....

My brother in law in TX. had a cow show up a few years back. After a few weeks of calling, and addvertizing he took her to the sale barn. He got charged, and it ended up costing him a bundle.

Do NOT sell her. Tell the county to come pick her up or you are going to turn her back out. They should have some one who take care of that.

I think if some one does come to claim her you are able to bill them for your time to catch her, feed, and holding space. Check with some one so you are ready when they come.

Have the sheriff's office pick her up. I think you can claim "reasonable" charges for feed and care while you had her penned.

Don't you have a brand inspector there. Around here he would be the first call and you can bet he would decipher the brand.

We had a stray pair show up in the front yard the other day. Penned it and a couple days later found out it belonged to the state trooper that lives a few miles down the road. Returning that one will probably get me out of a future ticket. I would call TSCRA, they could probably help you out.

Running Arrow Bill":300mbd6t said:
Posting here so I may get most replies... :)

Last Friday an Angus yearling heifer tresspassed through our front gate. After 3 people and about 20 minutes got her herded (difficulty) into our corral.

Contacted our Sheriff. Plus put notice on our portable sign in front.

Checked back yesterday and today. Also, called couple neighbors with Angus. Still no word or "claims" on the heifer. She has a red ear tag and an obscured brand (can't decipher it). Told the Deputy this morning that I wanted her out... Also told him if I had to haul her to sale barn this week didn't want to get charged with "Cattle Rustling"...he laughed...

SO...all you Texas cattle people...(pending official word from our Sheriff)...

What's your opinion on hauling an Estray to Sale Barn after we've been keeping her for a week? Any of you had experiences with something like this?

:cowboy:

Laws are in plain english you will be guilty of rustling the only person that can sell an estray in the state of Texas is the Sheriff.

http://www.thecattlemanmagazine.com/liv ... ra.asp#Sec. 142.011. USE OF ESTRAY.

Agree Caustic!

Nope...wouldn't even think about selling an estray...

Problem Solved.

Update:

I met with County Clerk today. Sheriff had already contacted her. When I got back here, I was able to sneak up on the heifer (about 15 ft away) and use zoom lens on digital to get shot of her brand, since sun was in my favor. Called CC back and she promptly identified the owner via brand registry...he had herd of 50 about mile North of us (didn't know there was one there). He came out and picked her up this afternoon...was very appreciative of our care for her! :D

Glad you found the owner but it sickens me to read all the post of people that always wants to start charging someone for feed and time invested in catching and whatever else they can do to make a dollar. I have never did that nor would I,and a stray would stay in my lot for at least 3 weeks befor being removed just in case someone is out of town. Do to others like you would like them to do to you, I know everyone does not think the same way but thats the way I operate !!!

Way to get er done RAB. One that scares me is all the high fencing going on if a branded deer escape's and you shoot it your liable under state estray law. Where do you brand a deer? How do you brand a deer? How many EMT's are on standby?

BRYANT":1boqmvx9 said:
Glad you found the owner but it sickens me to read all the post of people that always wants to start charging someone for feed and time invested in catching and whatever else they can do to make a dollar. I have never did that nor would I,and a stray would stay in my lot for at least 3 weeks befor being removed just in case someone is out of town. Do to others like you would like them to do to you, I know everyone does not think the same way but thats the way I operate !!!

I don't want stray cattle on my farm or in my pens. Strays can bring in diseases. My herd is clean and i want to keep it that way. In the past deputies and others have wanted to put strays in my place for holding and I refused. I also do not allow other farmer's trucks or stock trailers in my cow lot. I don't buy sale barn cattle for my herd either. I have very good cow health and I believe that these ideas are a large part of the reason why.

johndeerefarmer":9iyyfblz said:
I don't want stray cattle on my farm or in my pens. Strays can bring in diseases. My herd is clean and i want to keep it that way. In the past deputies and others have wanted to put strays in my place for holding and I refused. I also do not allow other farmer's trucks or stock trailers in my cow lot. I don't buy sale barn cattle for my herd either. I have very good cow health and I believe that these ideas are a large part of the reason why.
How would you do your outside fencing are they double with a lane down the center so they can't stand and look across and rub noses with the cattle next door??

I don't have any neighbors with animals on the one side of the property and the other three sides are roads and a farm to market highway. All of my boundary fences are 6 wires of barbwire

Latest posts