Texas Cattle Brand Questions

Help Support CattleToday:

hrslvr

Reaction score
Hi!

I have a few questions about branding cattle in Texas....

First off what I know...Each county in Texas keeps their own brand book. You can't change a brand.

Now for my questions... :?:

When you buy cattle can you put your brand on another location?

Most cattle brands I see seem to be hot iron brands....Why not freeze brand?

If you are in one county and move to another and your brand is already in use in that county-What do you have to do?

(I hope my next questions are not rude)
What brands do you use? Would you post a picture please? I love looking at different brands! It will also help me design a brand that is different for my future herd :D

Thanks for giving us newbies or future newbies in my case some great info! :D

i will try to answer your queations the best i can. When you buy cattle and they are branded you can put your brand on them if your brand is reg. in you county. The rule has always been the newest brand is the one that counts. We use to hot brand or fire brand . This last year we started to freeze brand. It look better on our angus cattle. The reason i suppect people don't freeze brand is liq. nitgran is sometimes hard to get and transport. You can use 99% achol (sp)with dry ice, but dry ice is even harder to get. If you move to another county you would have to check with the county clerk. i hope this helps some.

Can You put your barnd on an animal that is already branded? Answer - yes, if the brand is in a place that you normaly brand just move dow or to the side.

Why not freeze brand? Answer - it takes too long, you have to clip the hair and hard to get the supplies needed (liquid nitrogen or dry ice).

If you are in one county and move to another and your brand is already in use in that county-What do you have to do? Answer: You may register the same brand just change the location the brand is applied to (change fro left hip to right hip)

Latest posts