Texas Boar Hunt

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
We went to Boar Creek, Tennessee Colony. Had a great time. Turned out we were the only hunters there that weekend, so we had the place to ourselves. We were kind of looking forward to visiting with other hunters, but the guide and his Mom (the cook) were great. This place has had 600+ hogs killed on their property (fenced). So he buys hogs trapped by other farmers. He has a "Hambush". They turn purchased hogs loose after they are weighed. Hogs can go many different routes, but if they stay on the open road, they go by a shooting station. Guide designates who can shoot. I told him to let Phil (nephew) shoot at all of the ones that come by - I do not shoot at running animals. I can shoot long shots and am very accurate, but not running shots. They had a big boar and he was mean. Guide did not want him to survive, so he wanted both of us to try to kill him. Well, we both shot, boar went about 30 feet. We hit same spot - about 1/2" apart. So, the boar is both of ours.

I was pretty amazed I hit it. As mentioned before, I'm born & raised in R.I. Never grew up hunting. Knew how to shoot a .22 when we lived in Kansas.
Funny story: When we moved out here, I sat up in a tree stand and watched deer and decided I wanted to get a license. I had never gotten any kind of hunting license and deer hunting had already started. Hubby said I couldn't get one without taking a hunting course first. Well, I went to the Town Hall, said we moved here from Kansas and wanted to get a deer license. They asked for my Kansas hunting license. I gave them my Kansas fishing license. They didn't know how to read it, it was same piece of paper used for hunting/fishing/birds, etc. Handed me my license and I've had one every year since. I am a great shot (bragging) but never TRY to shoot at anything running. Don't trust myself to not wound it and not be able to retrieve it.
Anyway, had a great time in Texas. ATE LOTS OF BBQ.

We went to Boar Creek, Tennessee Colony. Had a great time. Turned out we were the only hunters there that weekend, so we had the place to ourselves. We were kind of looking forward to visiting with other hunters, but the guide and his Mom (the cook) were great. This place has had 600+ hogs killed on their property (fenced). So he buys hogs trapped by other farmers. He has a "Hambush". They turn purchased hogs loose after they are weighed. Hogs can go many different routes, but if they stay on the open road, they go by a shooting station. Guide designates who can shoot. I told him to let Phil (nephew) shoot at all of the ones that come by - I do not shoot at running animals. I can shoot long shots and am very accurate, but not running shots. They had a big boar and he was mean. Guide did not want him to survive, so he wanted both of us to try to kill him. Well, we both shot, boar went about 30 feet. We hit same spot - about 1/2" apart. So, the boar is both of ours.

Holy pork roast, he's huge!

The guide gutted, skinned and deboned all the meat, then froze it. We brought it to a processing plant. They packaged it into cooler boxes and shipped it to my processor. He will make some steaks out of the loin and grind the rest into breakfast, Italian and hot sausage. Nephew also got a 68# boar. Forgot to mention, this one weighed 235#. We also had the head shipped and Phil did a European mount. Came out good. We don't have it "mounted" yet. Lots of fun.

Great.... glad you had a good trip. Maybe they need to get together with CB and he can keep on trapping them and then get these guys to come get them....or any of the other guys down that way.... cut down the population.....
That was quite a boar....

That's one hell of a hog you got! Congrats and what did it weigh? Guessing 300-350ish. It's looks real clean! Did they pressure wash it?

We trap a lot of them. We have drop gates that are controlled by our cell phone, Get pictures sent to our phones via SPYPOINT camera. Can send a text and set the trap gate. The best is hunting them with dogs though!

This guy weighed 235#. Yes, the guide pressure washed him. Gotta get a good pic!!!! LOL
We had to buy camo T-shirts and light-weight pants to hunt down there. Everything we have for hunting is VERY INSULATED!!

We trap a lot of them. We have drop gates that are controlled by our cell phone, Get pictures sent to our phones via SPYPOINT camera. Can send a text and set the trap gate. The best is hunting them with dogs though!
Not here it's not if you don't want to be run out of the community.
Dogs are very effective I agree,
hogs are more effective in tearing up barb wire fences with dogs on them.

Canned hog hunts? What's next? I thought it was illegal in Texas to re-release wild hogs. Guess they got around that with the fencing? If it benefits all, go for it. Otherwise drop them where they stand...

CB - do you provide a hunting guide with hogs? Evidently, they are paid by weight, because they weighed these hogs as they were released. They released about 7, but only saw 3. Only the "big boy" gave us a shot.

Latest posts