Texans, how do you do it?

Help Support CattleToday:

Herefordcross

Reaction score
Do you let your cattle graze in these dry conditions until thy're pulling up roots and all or do you pen 'em up and feed 'em when you can get the hay. The reason I ask is that if we leave 'em on a small area here they pull up roots and all, makes for a terrible looking field the next year and has to be reseeded. How do you all do it?

In Oklahoma it usually does't get to the point of pulling up roots for me personally.I graze bermuda grass that has a fairly deep root system.The grass still grows, it just grows very very slow so any kind of rest seems to help it. I try to move them to different pasture at regular intervals. During the summer I will even utilize the wheat feilds for them to clean up the fence rows and corners.If leaving them for a exstended period of time becomes an issue they still seem to never pull up roots due to the ground getting so hard. Right now during this time of year it's not unusual to find cracks in the ground big enough you can stick your hand in past your wrist. :( Geez I wish it would rain.

Herefordcross,we try and keep the stocking rate in line with pasture conditions,keep moving em or haulin em to town,I suspect its done here in TX bout like it is most places,and probably varies widely,place to place.
I plant cane type grasses in the spring/summer and after we bale we run them on stubble,saves the pastures to an extent,then plant rye/oats/wheat in the fall,always hoping for a lil rain ,and feeding hay as I have to............good luck

SOLD Now just tell me where I can find some within 250 miles of my place for young brood cows. Plenty of guys around here with show piece bulls that never see a cow but, can't find anything of breeding ability near by.

Msscmp and I were going to start the West Virginia Wyoming Cattle Company and swap breeds back and forth in the seasons but, we decided that the brand would probably kill the calves or we could abreviate it WWWCC. What do ya think msscmp??

Herefordcross":ctmdvigg said:
Do you let your cattle graze in these dry conditions until thy're pulling up roots and all or do you pen 'em up and feed 'em when you can get the hay. The reason I ask is that if we leave 'em on a small area here they pull up roots and all, makes for a terrible looking field the next year and has to be reseeded. How do you all do it?

Heck the heat is normal, just usually get rainfall with it.
We have gotten back to a normal weather pattern here grass is tall cows are fat life is good .
Cool front came through it was only 103 today 106 yesterday.
Cutting hay.

Irrigation. Last year was so bad that the prickly pear died. This year is almost as bad. Pecan trees that are hundreds of years old are yellow. Less than an inch of rain since April and its been over 100 degrees 43 days here. Something like 38 or 39 days in Fort Worth. If you don't have irrigation, you don't have hay, locally anyway.

I am holding all the hay I make. People are begging me to sell them some for horses and all. I can't. I have 6 cows, a bull, and 2 heifers. That's it. 9 head total left on the place.

G&L Cattle":31dr17oz said:
Its the horses and donkeys that ruin a good cow pasture.

This is true. I have to move our's from one pasture to another or it just gets tromped down. And they tear up the grass when they graze. Mine also make big wallows everywhere for their sand baths.

I live in Fayette county and we haven't had any appreciable rain since April. Nobody is cutting hay here. Have to go down to El Campo and Wharton County to get any hay. Trying to stock up for the winter.It's very difficult when everybody esle is in the same situation.

Dick