Hay and how you make it

Help Support CattleToday:

My father and his life-long friend were in the part-time custom hay business, so I grew up in hay fields. I started out raking with an old John Deere 60. I don't remember how old I was, but when I wanted to stop I'd stand up, grab the clutch with both hands, and rare back with all I had. Most of the time that worked, and when it didn't I'd shut it down with the key.
What key? The old two cylinders just had a switch.

Lots of the bigger irrigated farm areas get 4 cuttings of alfalfa. Here alfalfa gets 3 cuttings but grass generally only one. Most of that is because they are busy with alfalfa and are late getting the first off the grass. The second is too weak to cut for hay but makes pretty good fall pasture for the weaned calves.

Vermeer makes a good baler.

My biggest gripe with Vermeer is their top secret parts. Nothing available online, no parts, no diagrams, nothing. Gotta run to the dealer, and you know how that goes, "Well we don't have that part, but I can order it". So could I...

I can hop online and get anything I need for JD, CNH, Kubota, etc.
Contact Vermeer headquarters and they will send you three manuals free of charge for your baler: parts manual, maintenance manual and operations manual. We have three Vermeer dealers within a 1.5 hour drive. The one that is at Johnson City TN has most parts available I need. I have Kubota tractors and at one time I could order most parts, but I can't find that web site anymore. I have JD tractors and some equipment and never have needed many parts, but not much luck online for me anyway. Parts are getting hard to find for a lot of equipment especially if it is older.

Contact Vermeer headquarters and they will send you three manuals free of charge for your baler: parts manual, maintenance manual and operations manual. We have three Vermeer dealers within a 1.5 hour drive. The one that is at Johnson City TN has most parts available I need. I have Kubota tractors and at one time I could order most parts, but I can't find that web site anymore. I have JD tractors and some equipment and never have needed many parts, but not much luck online for me anyway. Parts are getting hard to find for a lot of equipment especially if it is older.
Even the Newer ones are getting hard to get parts for..

Dairy farmers here get 3-5 cuttings, but mostly alfalfa fields.
I have 80 acres of hay ground. Getting baled as I type. I hire all the hay done. I only own the spears on my tractor. We "generally" get lots of moisture. So much, we have a difficult time making dry hay. Previously, dairies always put up haylage in bunks. Beef farms put up dry bales late June - maybe July, because we don't get 3-4 days of sunshine in a row until July.
Then --- the discovery of baleage. What a blessing. My guy had maybe the first in-line wrapper in the area. All 80 acres are wrapped in 2-4 days. This year, we are bone dry, so our fields have not produced as much as normal and has headed out sooner. Quality (protein) will be lower this year, I would guess. We will get 4-5 bales/acre. 4' x 52". 2nd cutting will be mostly dry bales including 1 or 2 wagons of small squares. Some years, we graze 30 acres 2nd cutting and 3rd.,

Messick's is one of my go-tos. They have parts and diagrams for Kubota.

The part number doesn't do me any good if I still can't order any parts myself. I hate being indentured to a dealer.