Tetanus question?

Help Support CattleToday:

I was just discussing this with a vet the other day.
What bander did you use? I've never had more than at most a day or two of lameness banding 5 and 6 weights, usually only hours. I only use a calicrate. The tension of the band is quite critical and I've not seen one as precise as calicrate.
It was an XL castrating banded by wadsworth manufacturing

For those who cut AFTER banding, I assume it's to speed up the healing and avoid the slough period. For the vets-is this a higher tetanus risk after cutting dead tissue off? There is now an opening to a theoretically anaerobic area, or does it become more of a suture line, allowing faster closure with less necrotic tissue to deal with?
I have "diligent" cows that are very aggressive with calf cleaning. I can't imagine what would happen with a necrotic scrotum on a month old calf🙄.
We've had the vet knife-cut at 4 months old previously, wanted to try to take over the duties at home, but not confident enough to use a knife without worrying about bleed-out (even after watching it many times). Practice suggestions-lol?

For those who cut AFTER banding, I assume it's to speed up the healing and avoid the slough period. For the vets-is this a higher tetanus risk after cutting dead tissue off? There is now an opening to a theoretically anaerobic area, or does it become more of a suture line, allowing faster closure with less necrotic tissue to deal with?
I have "diligent" cows that are very aggressive with calf cleaning. I can't imagine what would happen with a necrotic scrotum on a month old calf🙄.
We've had the vet knife-cut at 4 months old previously, wanted to try to take over the duties at home, but not confident enough to use a knife without worrying about bleed-out (even after watching it many times). Practice suggestions-lol?
I cut lots of bull calves I get from the stockyard. Actually have a few to castrate today. Of the few worries bleed out never enters my mind. I'm not saying it can't happen but it's very very rare.

I've seen far fewer 'bleed-outs' in bigger calves (but, a few) than tetanus cases in banded bulls above 400 lb. Often, the 'bleeders' will be intra-abdominal... you wouldn't necessarily see blood dripping... just a slow-moving calf a day (or a few) after cutting... and then...dead. Or... they may stop bleeding before they die, and recover.
Never seen a bleed-out in a knife cut baby calf.

Never understood the thought process behind slitting the scrotum on a banded bull. I can't think of a single viable reason, from a physiologic, pathologic, or microbiologic reason to do it.

Local veterinary practice uses a Henderson castration tool on bigger bulls; fits into the chuck on a 3/8 inch drive cordless drill. Crushes the cord and twists it off. Don't really know if it's any better than just pulling them out... but I'm sure some clientele are impressed.
Like this: https://www.enasco.com/p/Henderson-Castrating-Tool+C15399N

I've seen far fewer 'bleed-outs' in bigger calves (but, a few) than tetanus cases in banded bulls above 400 lb. Often, the 'bleeders' will be intra-abdominal... you wouldn't necessarily see blood dripping... just a slow-moving calf a day (or a few) after cutting... and then...dead. Or... they may stop bleeding before they die, and recover.

Never understood the thought process behind slitting the scrotum on a banded bull. I can't think of a single viable reason, from a physiologic, pathologic, or microbiologic reason to do it.

Local veterinary practice uses a Henderson castration tool on bigger bulls; fits into the chuck on a 3/8 inch drive cordless drill. Crushes the cord and twists it off. Don't really know if it's any better than just pulling them out... but I'm sure some clientele are impressed.
Vet used a Henderson tool on a calf last year-she wasn't comfortable with it, didn't get it secured in the drill chuck and didn't get the fast spin-he bled for a bit.
Vet the year before was very comfortable with it. Calf was not impressed with his nuts flinging around and hitting his legs on the way by-he went after everything in the pen once they opened the chute.
Non-gimmicky is my preference.

I've always been told it lets it drain therefore no swelling and they will drop off in 2 or 3 weeks , but it has to be slit down to the testicle, not just slicing the skin......but like a lot of things it may not be the best way.

We use the Calicrate bander. Don't slit the sacks. Tetanus shot. I will recheck them in 2 days at the bunk for any that might not look right. In the hot weather we will cut them off below the "band" about a week or so... mostly because of the smell when they just hang there. We have never had a problem with any doing it that way. But we have found it to be smart to just keep them at the barn for a few days after doing them to make sure there are no problems. If the sack is cold then they are good to go.

wanted to "like" the first part of your post but that tool...needed the wide-eyed shock smiley. LOL

Latest posts