Terramycin treatment for scours..?

Help Support CattleToday:

pacadowling

Reaction score
In a post that I submitted a while back, someone recommended that I give a terramycin bolus to treat scours...I have terramycin powder that is to be added to the drinking water...would it be okay to add a little to the calf bottle to treat scours? If so, how much? :help:

I wouldn't. The terramycin boluses are 250 mg each, we give two the first time - that 500 mg of oxytetracycline. In milk it's sure to give the milk a bad taste, the calf will probably not drink it, the scours have not been treated, plus you have a potential new problem of trying to get the calf to take his bottle. As I stated earlier, terramycin is, generally speaking, not effective on open herds. If this is the route you wish to go, visit your vet and see if he will sell you 3 or 4 to start with, depending on the number of calves you have, buy a small bottle (24 pills).

the terramicin tablets are pretty good in most cases...but it is 2 at a time twice a day to treat the scours plus you got to replace its fluids

also if there are any blood tinged or mixed in with the scours you have a case of coccidiosis and you need a sulfor bolus ..2 boluses for 100 pounds and they last i think for 3 days they have worked really well for me

tnrichie":36hmb6uf said:
the terramicin tablets are pretty good in most cases...but it is 2 at a time twice a day to treat the scours plus you got to replace its fluids

I would have to argue with you. The directions on a bottle of Terramycin says 1 pill/ 100 pounds of bodyweight. A 2 week-old calf is not likely to weigh over 100 pounds. We give 2 the first time to hedge our bet, so to speak, but then return to the recommended dosage. Also, if caught early enough (as in first signs) a calf does not usually require fluids. That is only when they become dehydrated due to the scours being left untreated for anywhere from a day to several days depending on the type of scours.

At that age I would use some SMZ bolus's. One twice daily. Can't remeber the dosage. My vet givesthem when i have scours. i also like to give a Poly serum shot. This just incase some of the colostrum or all was not received.

Scotty

Scotty":2qukxd2c said:
At that age I would use some SMZ bolus's. One twice daily. Can't remeber the dosage. My vet givesthem when i have scours. i also like to give a Poly serum shot. This just incase some of the colostrum or all was not received.

Scotty

Why? I'm just curious.

Long ago my Vet prscribed the bolos to me and the shot. It worked well. SMZ is the active ingredient. Can't really remeber but think it is a sulfa drug that works well at killing the protezoa and bacteria casuing the problem. The polly serem is for added protection. Without going into how the rumen works with the colostrum in the first so many hours. lets say some don't always get the protection they need. they are also cheap.

Scotty

Scotty":1o5vikhy said:
Long ago my Vet prscribed the bolos to me and the shot. It worked well. SMZ is the active ingredient. Can't really remeber but think it is a sulfa drug that works well at killing the protezoa and bacteria casuing the problem. The polly serem is for added protection. Without going into how the rumen works with the colostrum in the first so many hours. lets say some don't always get the protection they need. they are also cheap.

Scotty

Ok. That's all fine and good, but what does that have to do with the difference between SMZ and Terramycin?

PS I know how the rumen works, and it has nothing to do with milk - it has to do with solid food such as grass, hay and grain and the breakdown and digestion of the same.

Actually...... either may work...or not... for a while....alot of the 'mycins' no longer offer effective treatment, as the invading bacteria's have become resistant to them.. this is a geographic issue. But , as you likely already know, a portion of the tetracylines, and mycins bind them selves to milk proteins and are expelled with little benefit to the animal anyway.

Plus, most milk replacers have sub-therapudic amounts of neomycin, and ocytetracycline in them, and is great to some extent as a preventative, but when the animal does get sick, again. the levels are so low that there is no benefit, and may infact have helped set up the invading bacteria to be resistant to these two drug types.

This of course does not mean that they will not work in many or most cases, just that resistance is out there.

What I read, SMZ, a sulfa drug, has much less resistance to it, and an added benefit is that it is considered therapudic treatment for coccidia.
we use it extensively..and it's relatively cheap to purchase in bulk. and mixes well in milk or other liquids if you don't want to bolus it...it is tasteless as well.

IF..and I am speaking theraticly here...IF ......gentamycin was still legal to give to cattle, I would use it orally, by putting 3 ml in the bottle of replacer or better yet... a scour electrolyte treatment........for a few days to cleanse the gut......start with a fresh palate so to speak... and then add yogurt or probias right after you finish the antibiotic treatment t oget the good bacteria going before some more bad boys come back to colonize it again.

Disclaimer.....I might not know what I am talking about...but it seems to work here. And I am not a Vet. nor do I play one on TV...but the wife is a physician and some of her wisdom and knowledge has been absorbed. thus........... :cboy:

"The directions on a bottle of Terramycin says 1 pill/ 100 pounds of bodyweight"

I also check the calf after the first dosage to see the calf's reaction.. has anyone else seen/observed that after the first dosage that the calf has a hard time controlling his tongue or that his tongue "seems swollen/sticks out". I've seen this bottle feeding Holstein calves. I skip the evening dosage and continue the next morning.

Now Ken, again, I aint no expert here..I just raise a few hundred bottle calves a year is all....
but my experience is that tetracycline is a pretty low risk drug as far as reactions to it in animals..

What you may be witnessing is actually quite common under certain circumstances which are:

Some times when a calf has a hard birth..or a prolonged birth,,, they are dummy calves when feeding and display that type of tongue behaviour.

More often, when a calf is not feeling well, they are either not hungry, or will suck a little bit normally, and then start that tongue rolling......you will also notice that the calf's sucking action correspondingly will become half hearted as well. this is a very good symtom that the calf is not feeling good at all.....often when just a little bit of milk enters the gut, when it is gut sick, it can and will cause discomfort or even pain in extreme cases...
The real clue here is that previuosly the calf was able to suck normally........and then this change occured........BIG clue, that it is not feeling well in the gut or elsewhere. :cboy:

msscamp":1oww51d3 said:
Scotty":1oww51d3 said:

Scotty

Ok. That's all fine and good, but what does that have to do with the difference between SMZ and Terramycin?

PS I know how the rumen works, and it has nothing to do with milk - it has to do with solid food such as grass, hay and grain and the breakdown and digestion of the same.

Sounds like you know it all.

Scotty

Scotty":347hi5nb said:
msscamp":347hi5nb said:
Scotty":347hi5nb said:

Scotty

Scotty
She is correct Scott.
http://pubs.cas.psu.edu/FreePubs/pdfs/ud013.pdf
Go to the anatomy of the rumen.

kensfarm":djqv5yee said:
"The directions on a bottle of Terramycin says 1 pill/ 100 pounds of bodyweight"

I also check the calf after the first dosage to see the calf's reaction.. has anyone else seen/observed that after the first dosage that the calf has a hard time controlling his tongue or that his tongue "seems swollen/sticks out". I've seen this bottle feeding Holstein calves. I skip the evening dosage and continue the next morning.

Never, and we have been using Terramycin for the last 20+ years. Maybe it has something to do with dairy calves?

Scotty":1tofhciu said:
msscamp":1tofhciu said:
Scotty":1tofhciu said:

Scotty

Scotty

Far from it!! Did not mean to sound like a know-it-all.

PS Thank you, Ollie!

Latest posts