Tenderness.....the next step in beef

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
Grade Meat Tender, Grade Meat True...

By J. Raloff
MARC analysis

Having trouble selecting meat that will practically melt in your mouth? You're not alone. Restaurants and butchers, too, encounter the same frustration. Even cuts labeled prime, the top grade, sometimes offer diners a tough chew.

The problem, explains Mohammad Koohmaraie, is that the current carcass-grading procedures—designed to distinguish the tough from the tender—rely heavily on marbling, the presence of intramuscular fat. Yet only about 10 percent of the variation in a steak's tenderness correlates with marbling, according to research by his team at the Agriculture Department's Meat Animal Research Center (MARC) in Clay Center, Neb.

The MARC scientists have now cobbled together an alternative tenderness-rating system. In tests, it has offered an unprecedented 94 percent accuracy.

Today, meat graders slice open a carcass 1 to 3 days after slaughter and estimate its tenderness by rating its appearance—muscle maturity and color as well as marbling. The system that Koohmaraie's group has developed requires slicing off a 1-inch rib-eye steak, cooking it for 4 minutes, then cutting it with a miniature guillotine that measures shear force.

To make the system even more attractive to meat packers, the scientists have just added an image-analysis program. From a glance at the uncooked rib eye, a computer calculates the pounds of retail cuts that the rest of the carcass will yield when butchered.

Although not automated, the system "is ready for prime time," Koohmaraie says. It adds $4.50 per carcass, or 15 cents per pound retail, he calculates.

Meat producers should be able to easily recover these costs, according to in-store studies led by Ted C. Schroeder at Kansas State University in Manhattan. His team grilled two rib-eye steaks from different carcasses and offered shoppers a taste test. Their reward: a free steak from the tougher carcass.

The vast majority not only preferred the tender steak but offered hard cash to swap the tough freebie for the more tender meat. Most anted up at least $1.23—and some paid over $3—per pound.

This suggests that by marketing the tender cuts under a new, brand-name label that guarantees tenderness, savvy packers could quickly "corner the market" for high-value meats, says Gary C. Smith of Colorado State University in Fort Collins. Though large-scale packers might initially balk at adopting this new grading system, he says they'll soon realize that without it they risk losing the most lucrative part of the market.

Indeed, they're already losing big time, argues Wayne D. Purcell of Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University in Blacksburg. Every year for the past 20, U.S. consumers have purchased less beef than they did the year before. They've been turned off in part, he maintains, by the industry's "25 percent product-failure rate"—unexpectedly tough meat.

"Would you buy John Deere tractors if 25 percent of the new ones wouldn't start?" he chides producers.

Now that the MARC group has unveiled a solution, Purcell says, "I think the general consensus in the industry is that we need to move forward on it."

In the long term, he and Smith argue, the ability to identify—and charge a premium for—guaranteed-tender carcasses should give producers an economic incentive for breeding animals with more tender muscle.

Do you think this is why DNA marker for the tender gene is getting bigger and bigger. Preperation and the way you cook it has alot to do with the way the end product is. But I would like to know a piece of meat is at a higher level of tenderness from the get go.

Scotty

Indeed, they're already losing big time, argues Wayne D. Purcell of Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University in Blacksburg. Every year for the past 20, U.S. consumers have purchased less beef than they did the year before. They've been turned off in part, he maintains, by the industry's "25 percent product-failure rate"—unexpectedly tough meat.

Why don't you post a link to this article, Mike? I will:
http://www.sciencenews.org/pages/sn_arc ... 9/fob1.htm

It's an old article, 1999, and it's incorrect today. Starting late in 1998 real beef demand has been on the increase. That's why we have those high prices for calves, demand. Here's an article that might help explain why.

http://ag.arizona.edu/arec/wemc/cattlem ... demand.pdf

Interesting read. What are yalls opinion on what produces the most tender meat. Given the same breed and genetics. Would grass or grain fed be more tender? How about hangin time? One hung for 4 days versus one hung for 21 days?

Frankie wrote:
It's an old article, 1999, and it's incorrect today.

I don't give a dang if it was written in 1999 or 1899. Tenderness is the Number 1 factor associated with a pleasurable beef eating experience.

The quote in the article that says there is only about a 10% correlation in marbling and tenderness will stand the test of time also.

Why are YOU getting all bent out of shape because I post an article that shows what we have to do to gain strength against pork and chicken? Competition is a good thing!!!!!!!!

RebelCritter":28ldu5z9 said:
Interesting read. What are yalls opinion on what produces the most tender meat. Given the same breed and genetics. Would grass or grain fed be more tender? How about hangin time? One hung for 4 days versus one hung for 21 days?
First, according to MARC research - Jersey cattle are the most tender.
Grain fed is more tender.
Latest research says they have to be hung a minimum of 14 days to achieve best tenderness.

The Amer Simm Assn has been doing shear force testing for many years. We were the first to come out with a Tenderness EPD.

MikeC":3iubjpne said:
Frankie wrote:

I don't give a dang if it was written in 1999 or 1899. Tenderness is the Number 1 factor associated with a pleasurable beef eating experience.

The quote in the article that says there is only about a 10% correlation in marbling and tenderness will stand the test of time also.

Why are YOU getting all bent out of shape because I post an article that shows what we have to do to gain strength against pork and chicken? Competition is a good thing!!!!!!!!

I'm getting bent out of shape because you ignore the fact that beef demand has been on the rise since 1998 without some sort of tenderness test. Your article suggests that tenderness is the main thing that will bring consumers back to beef and it's not true.

I'm not arguing about the 10% correlation, although I know meat scientists who believe it's much greater than that. What we do know, from survey after survey, research after research, is that consumers prefer higher quality (marbled) beef and higher quality (marbled) beef is more likely to be tender than lower quality beef. Buying a bull that will produce more marbling in his calves is a fairly simple thing to do these days; most breeds have carcass EPDs.

Frankie: Certainly no offense meant, and in truth I haven't read Mike's article, but perhaps tenderness is being looked at for keeping customers rather than gaining new ones.

I do think people are looking for is a consistent product. "Not, gee the last steak was great but this is tough, tough, tough." I know it is one thing I look for. What the industry is looking for is another way to up the end price of the product. "Will you pay a little more if we guarantee the steak to be tender?" What producers are looking for is another way to add $ to the pounds they sell.

I don't know what will happen with tenderness, but I think it is reasonable to expect that if the consumer will pay extra $ for a guaranteed tender piece of meat, and the industry can make some $ providing it, and the producer can get a little of the $ as well, then it will happen. (Not to mention other companies that stand to gain from it) And I do think the consumer will pay a few cents more.

Also Frankie, you may be discounting all the producers who don't raise beef here in the US on our good old grain and are missing out on our markets. You often hear that the Japanese, for instance, don't like other beef because it isn't as tender. If others vying for that market (New Zealand, Austrailia, for example) adopt breeding cattle for tenderness (and it sounds like they have been) then you may wind up with us losing market share in other places. And once the consumer begins to equate some other country's beef other than ours as being the "tops" we will be left in a difficult situation. (Not to say there isn't good beef now being produced outside the US.)

I look at the current price I am getting for my cattle and I don't know how many more customers we need to "bring back to beef." (Although I certainly welcome them :) ) People are consuming more of it than ever, and you are correct, tenderness hasn't played much of a part in it. But that doesn't mean there is no room for tenderness in the equation in the future.

Real quick, there are quite a few genes that make meat tender, and as stated, there are quite a few other factors as well. They have released two genes, and I think someone could expect to see several more identified near term. Tenderness EPDs are great, but without knowing the actual genetics you can't "guarantee" the genetics were passed to the calf, just that its more likely. When they begin using genetic based EPDs things will get a lot more interesting on a lot of fronts. Another interesting thing is that the University of Missouri (I think, I have an article here somewhere..) is trying to develop a scan for tenderness, which would really be interesting and go a long way to selecting commercial calves that were "tender."

Its always good to add value, but it is hard to get a lot of emphasis put on it when prices are so good anyway. Let's see what happens as the beef price starts to slide.

Frankie":jf493qgq said:
MikeC":jf493qgq said:
Frankie wrote:

I'm getting bent out of shape because you ignore the fact that beef demand has been on the rise since 1998 without some sort of tenderness test. Your article suggests that tenderness is the main thing that will bring consumers back to beef and it's not true.

I'm not arguing about the 10% correlation, although I know meat scientists who believe it's much greater than that. What we do know, from survey after survey, research after research, is that consumers prefer higher quality (marbled) beef and higher quality (marbled) beef is more likely to be tender than lower quality beef. Buying a bull that will produce more marbling in his calves is a fairly simple thing to do these days; most breeds have carcass EPDs.

Frankie, Come down to earth. Marbling is not a necessary item for a postive beef eating experience. Tenderness is BY FAR the main concern.

Take for example a "Filet Mignon".......not much marbling at all, very little, in fact, they wrap bacon around it for flavor........But, it's the highest priced and most prized cut from a beef carcass.

Tenderness is the next salvation of the beef business whether you like it or not.

Mike, what would be wrong with taking the Choice carcasses and then tender testing them? You then have the best of both worlds: the marbling AND the tenderness tested beef. I don't see why this is an either - or thing. This should be just another quality control to ensure that the people who pay top tier prices always get top tier quality.

This has been discussed at length before and the facts remain the same. Marbling has very little to do with tenderness, less than 10%. Some breeds have more tenderness than other breeds but there are differences within breeds. That is where DNA testing plays a part. What you want is the tenderest in the breed. ie: 4 Stars and cull 1 Stars just like you do BW etc.
Cross breeding is one way to speed this up because DNA is cross breed transferable where EPD's are not or are atleast questioinable. There are breeds that are inherantly tough, Brahma, Limo, Gelbvieh and those that are tender Pinzgauer, Red Pol, Angus(Red and Black). Some breeds have been working hard to improve by testing and culling Semi, Gerts and Herford. Someday, maybe it will pay off. A number of Branded Beef packers already guarantee tender by breed selection, aging and shear testing hopefully more will get on the band wagon. Until quality not quanity sets the market hamburger will set the price.

MikeC said:
Frankie, Come down to earth. Marbling is not a necessary item for a postive beef eating experience. Tenderness is BY FAR the main concern.

Take for example a "Filet Mignon".......not much marbling at all, very little, in fact, they wrap bacon around it for flavor........But, it's the highest priced and most prized cut from a beef carcass.

Tenderness is the next salvation of the beef business whether you like it or not.

I am down to earth; you're the one pushing a pie in the sky theory. The only way tenderness is going to become important is when consumers are willing to pay enough for it to become a marketable item. With the prices we're seeing today for live cattle and for beef, I think the beef business is doing pretty good and doesn't need to be "saved."

From your article:
"The MARC scientists have now cobbled together an alternative tenderness-rating system. In tests, it has offered an unprecedented 94 percent accuracy.

Today, meat graders slice open a carcass 1 to 3 days after slaughter and estimate its tenderness by rating its appearance—muscle maturity and color as well as marbling. The system that Koohmaraie's group has developed requires slicing off a 1-inch rib-eye steak, cooking it for 4 minutes, then cutting it with a miniature guillotine that measures shear force
."

It's at least a six year old article. This procedure has been around for longer than that. How many major packing plants have installed this system?

All beef should be tender. The easiest and most affordable way for a producer to raise tender beef today is to use a bull with good EPDs for marbling. That should improve the calves' quality grade. Higher quality grade meat is more likely to be tender. It's not rocket science and the genetics are available to anyone willing to use them.

Brandonm2":28y4lf8j said:
Mike, what would be wrong with taking the Choice carcasses and then tender testing them? You then have the best of both worlds: the marbling AND the tenderness tested beef. I don't see why this is an either - or thing. This should be just another quality control to ensure that the people who pay top tier prices always get top tier quality.

The cost is what's wrong. Beef is considably more expensive than chicken and you don't pay extra for tender chicken.

Frankie":z5j30jvy said:
All beef should be tender. The easiest and most affordable way for a producer to raise tender beef today is to use a bull with good EPDs for marbling. That should improve the calves' quality grade. Higher quality grade meat is more likely to be tender.
Now they can buy bulls sired by bulls with one or more Tenderness and/or Marbling Genes. Or AI to the bulls tested for and carrying the Tender and Marbling Genes.

dph":29cpt9kp said:
Frankie: Certainly no offense meant, and in truth I haven't read Mike's article, but perhaps tenderness is being looked at for keeping customers rather than gaining new ones.

I do think people are looking for is a consistent product. "Not, gee the last steak was great but this is tough, tough, tough." I know it is one thing I look for. What the industry is looking for is another way to up the end price of the product. "Will you pay a little more if we guarantee the steak to be tender?" What producers are looking for is another way to add $ to the pounds they sell.

I don't know what will happen with tenderness, but I think it is reasonable to expect that if the consumer will pay extra $ for a guaranteed tender piece of meat, and the industry can make some $ providing it, and the producer can get a little of the $ as well, then it will happen. (Not to mention other companies that stand to gain from it) And I do think the consumer will pay a few cents more.

Also Frankie, you may be discounting all the producers who don't raise beef here in the US on our good old grain and are missing out on our markets. You often hear that the Japanese, for instance, don't like other beef because it isn't as tender. If others vying for that market (New Zealand, Austrailia, for example) adopt breeding cattle for tenderness (and it sounds like they have been) then you may wind up with us losing market share in other places. And once the consumer begins to equate some other country's beef other than ours as being the "tops" we will be left in a difficult situation. (Not to say there isn't good beef now being produced outside the US.)

I look at the current price I am getting for my cattle and I don't know how many more customers we need to "bring back to beef." (Although I certainly welcome them :) ) People are consuming more of it than ever, and you are correct, tenderness hasn't played much of a part in it. But that doesn't mean there is no room for tenderness in the equation in the future.

Real quick, there are quite a few genes that make meat tender, and as stated, there are quite a few other factors as well. They have released two genes, and I think someone could expect to see several more identified near term. Tenderness EPDs are great, but without knowing the actual genetics you can't "guarantee" the genetics were passed to the calf, just that its more likely. When they begin using genetic based EPDs things will get a lot more interesting on a lot of fronts. Another interesting thing is that the University of Missouri (I think, I have an article here somewhere..) is trying to develop a scan for tenderness, which would really be interesting and go a long way to selecting commercial calves that were "tender."

Its always good to add value, but it is hard to get a lot of emphasis put on it when prices are so good anyway. Let's see what happens as the beef price starts to slide.

Years ago we attended a seminar and one of the presentations has stuck with me. It was so long ago that they used slide projectors instead of laptop comupters for their visuals. :) This particular speaker put up a slide saying pretty much what Mike's article said: most people said they would pay more for guaraneed tender beef. But this speaker's interest was in the 35-40% who said they would NOT pay more for guaranteed tender beef. They said, why should I? I don't pay more for a cake mix guaranteed to rise or, more to the point, for guaranteed tender chicken. All beef should be tender. I don't think most consumers understand quality and yield grades, but they expect their cakes to rise and their beef to be tender.

I think you're right about prices. Now that we're going to be able to sell to Japan again, it should help the Choice/Select spread. The Japanese prefer marbled beef. On their grading system CAB is about the equivalent of Select. When we bought the CAB rib roast for our Christmas dinner, they said prices for CAB had been going up all year. Japan has been a big CAB market. I may not be able to afford one of those next year!

One more thing, the other trouble is, if the industry does someday begin offering a premium for tenderness, then like other "premiums," it won't really be a premium. You will be discounted if your cattle aren't tender. And I sure hear you on that CAB :D

Frankie":2cnnchrj said:
Brandonm2":2cnnchrj said:

The cost is what's wrong. Beef is considably more expensive than chicken and you don't pay extra for tender chicken.

Maybe this is why chicken consumption overtook beef in 1995 and continues to gain to this day.

When Mickey D's and the other burger chains started the "burger" craze, where tenderness does not matter, this has mainly kept the beef business intact. Since Brazil and other parts of South America, plus Australia have become big "cheap lean" shippers to the U.S. and there is less demand for U.S. grinds, they have therefore changed the dynamics of U.S. produced beef.

Philosophical differences aside. The U.S. and Canada will/has become the "steak" manufacturer of the world. To advance this opportunity, we must enhance the palatability of our steak at a faster rate than these other countries. At the same time we must keep our grinds competitive.

The present system of quality grading by the USDA does not allow for this to happen at present, because it neither gives us a bonus for "tender" beef nor does it dock us for "tough". Dollars drive all markets.

Yes, we are getting historically good prices for cattle at this time but are we keeping up with inflation? The producer share of retail beef has declined at an alarming rate. Just wait until this cycle hits the next low.

Feed lots are being built at amazing rates in these other countries since the Pacific Rim cut us off. Real competition has just begun. Japan has not been exactly beating our door down for beef.

To compete with the rest of the world we must become more efficient and produce a product with more demand in the future.Chicken has taught me a lesson.

Marbling is NOT enough.

http://www.ars.usda.gov/SP2UserFiles/Pl ... 0004A1.pdf

Latest posts