TCM on 03 Dodge 3500

Help Support CattleToday:

Chocolate Cow2

Reaction score
Spring of this year, I had a new automatic transmission put in this truck. 10 days ago it quit going into 4th gear. There's a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty on the trany. It's been in 7 months with 7,500 miles on it. I took it back to the installer last Monday, Oct 25. I checked on it yesterday. It's still sitting right where I parked it. I've sorta gotten a run-around from them. First, it was I didn't have an appointment so they'd have to work the truck in. Then, they said "these computers take a lot of time to work through and find the problem. When I walked into the shop yesterday, I was told they just hadn't been able to find an open lift to put it on so they could look at the TCM. I'm ready to go get it tomorrow and find someone else to look at it. Do any of you know if the TCM would be part of the transmission warranty? This shop has (or did have) a good reputation for their work but I'm thinking that it's a 'past tense' rating.

Chocolate Cow2":1saeb2fn said:
Spring of this year, I had a new automatic transmission put in this truck. 10 days ago it quit going into 4th gear. There's a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty on the trany. It's been in 7 months with 7,500 miles on it. I took it back to the installer last Monday, Oct 25. I checked on it yesterday. It's still sitting right where I parked it. I've sorta gotten a run-around from them. First, it was I didn't have an appointment so they'd have to work the truck in. Then, they said "these computers take a lot of time to work through and find the problem. When I walked into the shop yesterday, I was told they just hadn't been able to find an open lift to put it on so they could look at the TCM. I'm ready to go get it tomorrow and find someone else to look at it. Do any of you know if the TCM would be part of the transmission warranty? This shop has (or did have) a good reputation for their work but I'm thinking that it's a 'past tense' rating.

The warranty is probably only inclusive to itself and it's components.

I find it unlikely that they would cover any fault in the TCM, if that's where the problem lies.

My 03 Dodge recently quit shifting, going into 3rd gear when you put it in drive, and staying in 3rd all the time. No 1,2,4, or converter lockup. My shop also spent a good bit of time on the diagnosis, replaced the PCM/TCM, and it now shifts better than it has since I've owned it. The only place to buy the PCM is from Chrysler, and Chrysler has to program the PCM to the truck, using the shop's wifi. About a $1600 job. Truck has 135K miles, trans hasn't been rebuilt yet.

Ouch but Thanks Gateboy and Atimm for the replies. I was hoping it would be about $1,000 repair job. With cattle to move home for the winter, it's been frustrating to see it sitting in their parking lot and feeling like I'm getting the run-around. I'm considering getting it today and taking it somewhere else.
I talked to a local shop that does a lot of oil field truck work and they'll get it in right away.

After it sitting in front of the transmission shop for 10 days, they found time to put it on a hoist and take a look. It was a loose wire. $200. :bang:

I know how frustrating it can be to wait, but I hear this kind of story all the time now a days. People who will work, and are good at what they do, have a backlog of work. We get mixed reviews for taking so long to get to everyone, but it's worth it when a new customer is referred to us by an existing customer who tells them to patiently wait as long as it takes.
I don't look for that situation to improve anytime soon. I'd bet a parts changing grease monkey that had time to get you right in, would have cost 10x that. Glad to hear it was simple!

Gosh Ken, I'd better look at the repair ticket. I was so glad to get it back, I just paid it and got the 'L' out of there. I'd really expected it to be a lot more. Maybe, I was charged for taking up a parking space for so long..... :lol:

wbvs58":k3yhpwcj said:
$200 is a lot of money to fix a loose wire. Do they have a min charge to put it on the hoist?

Ken

When you consider what a lift costs (and the other costs associated with keeping a shop open), you'd be surprised if they didn't.

Probably a fixed diagnostic fee, plus time to do the repair, and a shop fee to cover consumables.

My opinion, 200 bucks is a bargain, considering that they found the problem right away and fixed it. You've probably heard the saying, "You think a good mechanic is expensive? Wait till you hire a bad one."

Latest posts