Talk to me about starter deer guns for kids.

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":m924pvw9 said:
skyhightree1":m924pvw9 said:
shaneb":m924pvw9 said:
Sky, how old is he? Why cant you use rifles? For a rifle, i know deepsouth mentioned a 260, just because i know thats what his girls use. If i had my choice between a 243 and a 7mm08, i would choose the 7mm08 due to better knock down. I have the 243 for my kids as well. I found one for a great price. We use the same gun in 7mm08 for our handi cap hunts and i see better results. Thats why i reccomend it over the 243. As for shotguns, i would go with a 20 guage. Easier to find shells, can be used for life, better knock down than 410. Set him up with a good slug barrel and have a gun with exchangable barrels for going back to bird shots or rabbit shots. Thats my 2 cents.

Shane,
We are in flatlands and they do not allow rifles to deer hunt only for predator hunting. Yea I am leaning towards the 20 gauge way. I will buy a .20 gauge and have it worked on like my .12 gauge so its really accurate. He can have my current 20 gauge.
When I was in VA it seemd like you had be somthing like 30 foot elevated to use a rifle but a shotgun you could use from the ground or a stand. In the swamp at 30 feet in the air you couldn;t even see the ground!

Depends on which side of the state the western half you can be on the ground with a rifle here if you use a muzzleloader in most counties you have to be elevated 10feet :lol2:

skyhightree1":3qjbn32u said:
3waycross":3qjbn32u said:
Poor kid!!! Imagine having to suffer thru using a Benelli 20ga. Almost borders on child abuse. :lol:

It sure is I should be ashamed of myself... Call cps
If you want another kid I'm available for adoption

dun":2mx6eaxz said:
skyhightree1":2mx6eaxz said:
3waycross":2mx6eaxz said:
Poor kid!!! Imagine having to suffer thru using a Benelli 20ga. Almost borders on child abuse. :lol:

It sure is I should be ashamed of myself... Call cps
If you want another kid I'm available for adoption

I'll adopt you but yall will have to share it :lol2:

3waycross":2fsjoh9n said:
I couldn't even spell it....my first gun was a Stevens 410 shotgun, bolt action, tubular feed. Santa brought it to me USED!!!!

We only use shotguns to hunt birds. My kids all started with a Browning lever action 243. I liked the idea that with a quick glance I could tell if the rifle was on safety or cocked. Yet unlike the other lever actions it is clip fed so to unload you just drop the clip out rather than having to run every shell through the chamber.

ResizedImage_1420468749672_zps4de5580c.jpg

TexasBred":1k0mkvxs said:
3waycross":1k0mkvxs said:
I couldn't even spell it....my first gun was a Stevens 410 shotgun, bolt action, tubular feed. Santa brought it to me USED!!!!

:lol2:
Dave":1k0mkvxs said:
We only use shotguns to hunt birds. My kids all started with a Browning lever action 243. I liked the idea that with a quick glance I could tell if the rifle was on safety or cocked. Yet unlike the other lever actions it is clip fed so to unload you just drop the clip out rather than having to run every shell through the chamber.

The .243 is a browning x bolt never fired been in the box scopeless for 2 or 3 years

I was shooting a bb gun with my best friend when I was 7. Enough power to teach one something about real world consequences and the finality of death but not enough to cause any true catastrophe. And we where pretty unmonitored there in his back yard and both packin'. But I cant say I'd introduce a real riffle at that age. I think even in the boy scouts they wait until 11 or 12 and then Its mostly .22s and a 410. In any case I second the beware of cops bit since they don't always seem to distinguish between 'firearm' and 'toy' even when carried by kids.

My son killed his first hog at 7. Growing up in the woods is a different deal than being a boy scout.

I started my son out deer hunting with a 308 single shot. I've seen several people mention the 708. That's a great caliber,and both are tack drivers, but the difference that sticks with me, is the difference in the price of the ammo, between the 308 and the 708.

Everyone that's planning on fighting back, needs at least one 308 - 7.62 X 51. Because the boys in blue will be armed with them.

skyhightree1":3fwk9r5o said:
I have been talking to deepsouth and discussing which gun to start my son off with to deer hunt. I grew up my first guns I had to hunt with were a 12g iver johnson single shot with a 36" barrel and a single shot springfield or stevens .22 I still have those today. The 12 gauge kicked like a borrowed mule so my first deer was killed with a .22. I have been thinking about buying him a single shot .410 where he can shoot 3" slugs or buckshot but then again I also thought about just letting him use my rabbit gun which is a bennelli 20 gauge. This will be a gun used for still hunting in a shooting house either on a field or food plot he isn't ready for hunting with dogs I want him to get a few under his belt still hunting. I have a .243 he could use as well but he can't use it at home I would have to take him an hour away. What do you all think and why ? Deepsouth had great points and gave some good information. I just wondered what everyone did with their kids that hunt.

Sky 44 Mag is good recoil sensitive choice kill them Black Flag dead out to 150.
I have a couple one is a CVA Hunter single shot they are about 250 bucks good accurate rifle .
You are a shotgun man and you know how hard it is to get a 20 gauge to pattern decent IMO the pipe is to
small. My 16 gauge actually kicks less than my 20 does. I have a 870 12 gauge that kills on both ends.
Worse kicking shotgun I have ever owned the only reason I still own it is my Dad gave it to me.
Now I roll my own and have 200 grain HP running 2000 fps out of a Marlin 94.

I agree the 20 gauge I been having pattern issues even with hi brass rabbit shells I am probably going yo sell it. I never shot a .44 I'd like too just to see how it is. when I sell that pos 20 I will check it out. do its good for 150 yds max?

skyhightree1":1cjsv0ul said:
I agree the 20 gauge I been having pattern issues even with hi brass rabbit shells I am probably going yo sell it. I never shot a .44 I'd like too just to see how it is. when I sell that pos 20 I will check it out. do its good for 150 yds max?

Yes I have killed them that far prefer 100 yards or closer.
Has about 4 inch drop at 150
http://www.cva.com/Hunter.php

cb thanks I appreciate it. they have a young day is like to take my kids on this year. I haven't got the gun situation resolved yet.

skyhightree1":2lru6a49 said:
cb thanks I appreciate it. they have a young day is like to take my kids on this year. I haven't got the gun situation resolved yet.

Don't rule out a good 30-30 either Remington makes a managed recoil load that has virtually no kick.
I know you have a 30-30 somewhere buy a box and try them.

Latest posts