Tagging calves

Help Support CattleToday:

ive tried to do the bull left heifer right and could tell any difference in weaning weights. now I just tag the ear that I grab first. color was something I tried one time also . now I just decided if I want it yellow or red cause that's the free Ztags I have .

I have been sitting on the calf's left side to tag and castrate for so long I don't think I could possibly do it from the other side, so left ears only lol

I tag bulls in one color and heifers in a different color. Always in the right ear due to the preconditioned sale I sell in requires their tag in the left. Its a different tag than I use so I like a clean ear to work with. I don't write anything on the tag its all in my record book and on my phone. Which would be a lot harder with a bigger herd lol

JCcattle":3qab0tmm said:
I guess none of you are like me I can't for the life of me remember left and right :???: on my drivers test I had to tell the guy he'd need to point which way he wanted me to turn and he obliged thankfully :kid: when I tag calves I think of the ear I can see when they run out of the ring! Yes I know I have a problem lol
For left and right I usually substitute drivers sign turn and passenger side turn

dun":1i7ut9ls said:
For left and right I usually substitute drivers sign turn and passenger side turn
Lol me too. I know a left turn makes you drive out in traffic and a right turn you can just sneak around the corner.

Belzora":2jtmnkxf said:
I tag bulls in one color and heifers in a different color. Always in the right ear due to the preconditioned sale I sell in requires their tag in the left. Its a different tag than I use so I like a clean ear to work with. I don't write anything on the tag its all in my record book and on my phone. Which would be a lot harder with a bigger herd lol
So you just have blank tags in their ears?

when a calf is born I log it. Use the alphabet letter for the year. First born this year is F01, second F02 and so forth. When I get around to tagging, I use a pre printed calf tag. I don't worry about a specific number, I just tag it. I will reconcile that tag with it's birth order and mom at a later date as if 01 was tagged with tag number F15 I will alter the calf's I'd number to F01-15 on the records. If I were to keep a heifer for replacements at some point I'd give it a cow tag. Number it with the alphabet I'd for the year it was born and use it's original order of birth number. So if I kept F01-15 for a replacement, her cow tag would be F01.

Cows I buy keep the tag number the have when I buy them. I'll give them a couple initials representing where they came from. If they were bought through auction and not ear tagged I'll use the livestock commission number for their I'd.

Sounds complicated, but it isn't.

JCcattle":2mrfx3p9 said:
Belzora":2mrfx3p9 said:
So you just have blank tags in their ears?

lol no, I should have been more specific. They're numbered tags, I just don't write birth dates or anything on them.

lol no, I should have been more specific. They're numbered tags, I just don't write birth dates or anything on them.

Haha makes more sense! By the way I'm known for being blonde at times :pretty:

I write the cows number on top then on the bottom 1801. 18 for the year 01 for the first calf born. So 1802 for the second calf born. I tag the heifers in the left ear and bulls in the right.

I use letters and numbers, using the cows number in with the calves. this year calves have F as the first letter for the year 2018 and then the cows letter and number for example the calves tag would be FA15 and the cow's tag would be A15. I use the mid size Y-Tex tags for calves and the cow size Z Tags for cows they have better retention.

We use the moms number and letters and numbers for date. We use the alphabet for the month, example February being the second month will be a B because it is the 2nd letter in the alphabet. We put the letter then the date and then the last two digits of the year after the date

An example, if the moms tag number is Yellow 137 and she has a calf today here is what the tag will say....

Y137 B-618

B is for February......6 is for Feb 6th......and 18 is for 2018.

This way when we look at them in the field we know the birthday of the calves and also if we retain heifers we leave the tag in their ear with their new numbered tag that way we will always know how old they are as long as they dont lose the tag or the tag fades.

Latest posts