Syringe question

Help Support CattleToday:

Kerry

Reaction score
When giving shots to cattle, does anyone use the megashot pistol grip syringes or something similar? Right now the vet gives me the shot with the dosage that I need. The last shot I gave my calf, the needle broke but I was able to get it out of her right away. The pistol grip syringes sound like it may make the job easier. Would love to hear your pros and cons on these, if you have any.

Thanks.

I like the pistol grip syringes because when I'm giving a lot of shots I don't have to draw up so many times or change the needle out as often. The only problem I've had is when they sit up for a few years the o-rings get dry rotted and I haven't had any luck with the rebuild kits, I've tried them twice and both times they have leaked.

I have to vaccinate 40+ cows, 2 bulls and a bunch of calves. I just purchased a "Pro-Shot" pistol grip and will let you know how it goes. One concern I have, as an ex-paramedic, is the re-use of needles. Maybe someone can comment on that, I would hate to be passing any infection or disease around when the whole idea is to stop it. Also...will my needle stay sharp, how often should it be changed?

I have a 50cc syringe, depending on vaccine administered, this could be 5 shots up to 10 shots. I change my needle when the gun is empty so when I draw it up agin it is a fresh needle going on to the bottle each time. My cattle all run together, eat together, are bred to the same bull, and are all vaccinated together. I don't think I have much to worry about using the same needle on 10 of them at a time. I figure if one has got something then the others have quite a good chance getting it just being cattle together out in the pasture.

If the needle breaks try using metal ended needles.(The part that attaches to the syringe) I had a box of plastic and broke several. I use the gun type and found that the cheaper looking all metal ones lasted longer than the plastic ones. Reuse of a needle can spread , if you have it, cases of Ananplasmosis.

Scotty

until plastic disposable syringes came out nobody worried about changing needles unless they were doctoring a sick animal. the old glass syringes with big horse needles worked fine and there was not any concern for routine vaccinations. if it makes you feel better go ahead and change needles for each animal. it doesnt make me feel better so i dont. you can sharpen them with a whet stone.

We use a similar pistol grip syringe. Our only problem was that the rubber inside rotted out. Nice to have when you vaccinate a large number of cattle.

Scotty":2zi2gdtc said:
If the needle breaks try using metal ended needles.(The part that attaches to the syringe) I had a box of plastic and broke several. I use the gun type and found that the cheaper looking all metal ones lasted longer than the plastic ones. Reuse of a needle can spread , if you have it, cases of Ananplasmosis.

Scotty
Brother I hate to tell you but if you got Anaplas then you got Anaplas. Horseflies, misquitoes, ticks, etc will spread the disease as quick as a needle.

ollie":33b60y2c said:
Scotty":33b60y2c said:

Scotty
Brother I hate to tell you but if you got Anaplas then you got Anaplas. Horseflies, misquitoes, ticks, etc will spread the disease as quick as a needle.

Brother I will tell you that you can do a lot of things to keep the flies and other insects away or at bay. Some work, some don't. But sanitation is one thing that you can 100 % do something about. It takes changing needles than do it. Surgical instruments can spred it also. If you have a single case of anaplasmosis it does not mean you will have another. Chances are greater but not always.

Scotty

We use disposable needles (aluminum hub). Use same syringe for same vaccine in a vaccination session. Then, discard syringe.

Syringes and needles are CHEAP! Not worth even a small risk for cross-contamination.

the old metal pistol grips outlast the newer ones. i gave up on some of the plastic pistol grip syringes. even tossed a brand new one before we got a hundred haid worked. gol durn thing p-e-i-s-s-t-m-e-o-f-t!
leakin and stickin piece of junk anyhows....
bif

Scotty":2w7i0b9d said:
ollie":2w7i0b9d said:
Scotty":2w7i0b9d said:

Scotty

Brother I will tell you that you can do a lot of things to keep the flies and other insects away or at bay. Some work, some don't. But sanitation is one thing that you can 100 % do something about. It takes changing needles than do it. Surgical instruments can spred it also. If you have a single case of anaplasmosis it does not mean you will have another. Chances are greater but not always.

Scotty
I am always interested in learning Scotty. What are you using for horsefly control?

ollie":3jlyho22 said:
I am always interested in learning Scotty. What are you using for horsefly control?
I am also interested in finding something for horsefly control that works really well.

we use LD44Z on the horses. can't say it is worth a hoot though. anybody have any better suggestions? :roll:

la4angus":1wooc1eb said:
ollie":1wooc1eb said:
I am also interested in finding something for horsefly control that works really well.

I read an add on valleyvet.com about the fly predators, sounds like they work good. I would love to hear from someone that has actually used them.

CKC1586":15p2kabl said:
la4angus":15p2kabl said:
ollie":15p2kabl said:

I read an add on valleyvet.com about the fly predators, sounds like they work good. I would love to hear from someone that has actually used them.

fly predators?

Yup, that is what they call them, 130,000 of them for $201.50 they recommend 1,000 per animal and they ship them in monthly supplies. "These tiny USDA approved insects are the natural enemy of flies, but never bother people or animals."

buckaroo_bif":wlmpbsd5 said:
well i'll be...!
sounds like a good idea kind of like ladybugs!
Oh boy, those Japanese ladybugs are a big problem..... they broght them in to eat aphids I think. Now they are everywhere! I would hope these little fly predators wouldn't do the same......

We have three 50 cc Allflex repeat syringes. We like them. I busted the hub off of one when a cow moved in the opposite direction to me. I bought a bunch of replacement barrells and have not had to use them. No problems with leaks and we change metal hub needles approximately every ten animals. I buy them through Allfelx's e-farm store.

http://www.e-farmstore.com/cgi-bin/ncom ... NK=Allflex

Latest posts