Synchronization - But possibly bred?

Help Support CattleToday:

UncleLA

Reaction score
I have a heifer that I am not certain took to the AI. I won't have the results of the pregnancy test until Monday or Tuesday; however, if she isn't bred, I would really like to start the synchronization process again on Sunday.
If I insert a CIDR on Sunday and give a shot of GNRH, would it cause any problems if she is already bred? If I do find out on Monday/Tuesday that she is bred, do I just remove the CIDR at that time?
Based on some previous research I have done, I think this would be fine; however, I just wanted to confirm.
Thanks in advance for your comments.
UncleLA

CIDR wouldn't be a problem; it releases progesterone, same hormone that's released during pregnancy. I'm not sure on the GnRH, since I think it causes production of LH and FSH, which'd probably destroy an existing CL. Give your vet a call and ask... I wouldn't give GnRH unless you're sure it's okay.

TNMasterBeefProducer":3t0frxdr said:
milkmaid":3t0frxdr said:
CIDR wouldn't be a problem; it releases progesterone, same hormone that's released during pregnancy. I'm not sure on the GnRH, since I think it causes production of LH and FSH, which'd probably destroy an existing CL. Give your vet a call and ask... I wouldn't give GnRH unless you're sure it's okay.

Milkmaid is spot on with this advice. The cidr would be fine but the gnrh would cause her to abort.

Don;t think the GnRH would cause her to abort. Ib excessive hot weather it was recommended we give it at day 21 follwing breeding to possibly help retain the pregnancy. But since you have to get the GnRH from the vet, check with him/her

dun":1gwsiknl said:
TNMasterBeefProducer":1gwsiknl said:
milkmaid":1gwsiknl said:

Milkmaid is spot on with this advice. The cidr would be fine but the gnrh would cause her to abort.

Don;t think the GnRH would cause her to abort. Ib excessive hot weather it was recommended we give it at day 21 follwing breeding to possibly help retain the pregnancy. But since you have to get the GnRH from the vet, check with him/her

See TN... it's not a good idea to assume MM always knows what she's talking about. :lol2: :p

TNMasterBeefProducer":3sljdmog said:
Interesting. I figured gnrh was kind of like lute. Lute makes em abort. I cant remember crap now adays.

GnRh stimulates the follicles and starts a new follicular wave - FSH. lute causes the CL to deteriate (poor choice of words probably) by lutenization - LH.
That's as best I remeber it anyway

OK, so I decided I'd better look it up :lol2:...

• GnRH: Gonadotropin-releasing hormone. A hormone made by the hypothalamus (part of the brain). GnRH causes the pituitary gland to make luteinizing hormone (LH) and follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH). These hormones are involved in reproduction. Also called gonadotropin-releasing hormone.

GnRH is the abbreviation for gonadotropin releasing hormone, a natural hormone that is released from the hypothalamus in the brain. GnRH causes the release of two other hormones known as gonadotropins from the pituitary gland. Luteinizing hormone (LH) and follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) are the gonadotropins. During the normal estrous cycle, when the proper signals are sent to the hypothalamus, GnRH is released to cause the release of these gonadotropins, which have an impact on the ovary. One of these effects is the release of a high level of LH, termed an LH surge, which causes ovulation of a follicle. This LH surge also initiates development of a new corpus luteum (CL) on the ovary.

That makes it sound as if GnRH would be perfectly safe to give the heifer, and it coincides with what dun said about giving GnRH on day 21 during the hot summer months. It'd support the CL, not destroy it.

Thanks for all the comments.
I was pleasantly surprised this evening to get the email from Bio-Tracking with the results of the blood test and she is bred. As a result, I won't have to begin synchronizing her again.

Just as a note, the GnRH will not cause the animal to abort. It was brought to my attention by a neighbor. He gives all cows run in for blood sampling for pregnancy tests a shot of GnRH. If the test comes back they are open he is well on his way to resynchronizing. If they are bred he is simply out the cost of the GnRH shot.

This may be a silly question but why sync again? Don't you know when she was bred if she was AI'd? We watch them for four to five days around the time she should be coming back into heat if she didn't take. Then breed on the heat if she does cycle? I am not sure why you would waste the sync supplies when you in theary should know when she would be due to cycle.
Look forward to your reply,
Double R

Latest posts