Sync protocol

Help Support CattleToday:

Jake

Reaction score
Thinking about cheapening up our sync protocol this year. We've been using TAI using cidrs the past few years and like the results but wonder if I can achieve the same with just two shots of prostaglandin. Did it with two shots years ago but don't remember the conception rates enough to know how it worked.

Conception rates probably won't change much, but they will be coming in over several days not narrowed down to a day or day and a half. If your doing your own work and are willing to watch them for that many days it will work. Id rather spend the 15 bucks and get it over with. If conception has been good what is your time worth checking them all the time?

I watch even on the TAI for 3-4 days to make sure I breed everything at as close to the perfect time as possible. More worried about conception than labor as I will watch them either way.

If you have the time to watch them, put a patch on them, should cycle over 21 days, dont think you can beat natural heat for conception, deffinetly cheapest.
A shot of PG and another 10 days later on non responders your pushing 21 days anyway.

I don't have that much time, I take a four day weekend over Memorial day to breed them all. I haven't been impressed by TAI conception rate so I watch them for 3-5 days to try and catch everything. Town job makes breeding on natural heats impossible

You are referring to TAI(timed) sounds like your doing a modified version by breeding when you need to. The question I would have are they coming into heat and at what hr are you breeding everything? I breed as needed then everything at hr 72.
I think you will have a bigger percentage show heat with the cidr in that time frame, I have to narrow mine down to 2 days for breeding, just a shot does not work for me.

bse":3dm0zxdj said:
You are referring to TAI(timed) sounds like your doing a modified version by breeding when you need to. The question I would have are they coming into heat and at what hr are you breeding everything? I breed as needed then everything at hr 72.
I think you will have a bigger percentage show heat with the cidr in that time frame, I have to narrow mine down to 2 days for breeding, just a shot does not work for me.

That is essentially what we are doing. Breed everything observed in heat until hr 72 then either bulk breed everything left over or if some are cycling then I will breed them the next morning.

So what if you miss them, or they don't come into heat. this is assuming you breed on visual standing heat or seeing the patch rubbed off. What is your protocol for putting them back into short cycle?

Breed on visual standing heat but I will breed at 72 hours everything we haven't observed in standing heat. We typically only get about 20% of these to conceive. Probably not even worth breeding them in all reality as we will be 80% on whatever we don't mass breed.