Sync Protocals

Help Support CattleToday:

MO VOL

Reaction score
I have read many of the previous threads on Sync protocals however some of them were dated a few years back. I am interested in the opinions of those with current experience which of the following two sync protocals would you recommend and why?

7 day Select Sync and Cidr - Heat check and Timed AI at 72-84 Hrs
or
7 day Co-Sync and Cidr - Fixed Time AI at 60-66 Hrs

I attended AI school three years ago and my results the past three years on 20 cow/heifers per year with the Select Sync and Cidr method has only gotten me about 53% on avg. About the same for both heifers and cows. Cows are in 5+ body condition and on good mineral and pasture and have all been 50+ days since calving. I have been disappointed in my results. Especially, given the results I have read about here of 65+%.

The research indicates I will do that well with the Fixed Time program, and I am wondering if I should just move to that method to save time/labor. All the research I can find indicates variable results for both but the average success rate on first service AI is not too different. Fixed Time AI would allow more flexibility for me as I have a job and would eliminate the need to check heat. The MO field data from the ISU sync program indicates and avg of 65% which would even be an improvement over my results.

In the last couple of years, what has been the experience of those on the board that have used these two methods? What is your success rate % and which method do you use? Cow Pollinator, Dun, Knersie, and other experts, what are your experiences and recomendations to a novice who has only been at this for 3 years?

Thanks for any and all feedback.

Im not one of the experts my advice and a dollar will get you a half a cup of coffee. I use Select Synch+Cidr I put on patches and breed what comes into heat then timed at 72hrs. I get around 65%. At 53% your 3% above so called average if your cattle are not coming into heat its hard to get them to settle. If you will repatch at 17 days and rebreed on that heat i think you will see your % go way up,mine goes to about 90% with the second breeding. I think alot of folks on here breed on natural heat which will get better results but that is not practical for everyone. If your only doing 20 per yr for three yrs 60 is not alot to get better on. I think i was around 100 when it just seemed to click for me and im sure theres some on here it clicked on cow #2 or 1. But im happy with my 65% the way i do it so just hang in there it will get better.

I'd go with the fixed time hands down given that you have a life outside of cattle.
I've found that making it as simple as possible leads to better long term results as people are willing to do it year after year so killing yourself off for a few extra percentages on conception rate won't pay in the long run.

Thanks for the reply BSE. Most of my cows have been observed and ID'd in heat with the patches and bred 12 hrs later. Very few left to time AI. That is what has been so disappointing. Maybe just need more practice, not sure, but given the expense to sync them all, I sure would like to see better results.

Thanks for the advice pollinator. I do find it difficult to heat check more than two times per day given work schedule etc. What success rate do you see experienced with the fixed time program?

I know its not recomended by the reproduction task force (or what ever is in the back of every AI book), but Ive heard mixed results on the 14 day CIDR on cows. Doing it just like the heifer protacall. Ive heard 65%-80% with TAI on the cow side to not so good.

Any thoughts?

TAI is ok but not a preference. A 53% AI rate is Ok I guess, but while you are putting in the time you might as well do it right by breeding on an observed heat and not Timed

On the 7 day CIDR method give cystorellin when you insert the CIDR
At day 7 when you pull the CIDR --Lutalyse 5ml for cows under 1300 lbs and 6 ml for those over 1300 lbs
On the am/pm rule if you have that odd duck that is in standing heat at e.g. 2pm give her a round of cystorellin at 5pm (which will shut down heat) and breed her at 8pm
After hour 80 on the 7 day CIDR method we normally breed all the cows/heifers we didnt see standing -- with about an 60% conception rate.

Any cow that you notice cycling 5-7 days pre-CIDR --should be bred on that Natural heat.

JS

Latest posts