Cows in sync.

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1":2wmu2suj said:
1982vett":2wmu2suj said:
M-5":2wmu2suj said:
vette your points are valid but your avatar shows your in a desert. How would you manage cows when they can get their feet wet
8E734ACF-DB69-4CBA-8942-972FC5D7E8A0_zpszzutkqzy.jpg

They can get to be some independent cusses...... :nod: this morning I tried to get that calf that I missed last week...they came a little way to see what I had to offer but they wasn't following me anywhere.

How do you manage in that Sahara :lol2:
The occasional monsoon..... :D

1982vett":2dajvaj3 said:
kenny thomas":2dajvaj3 said:
Where is vette with his drought maps. It still shows much of TX in a drought.
:lol: been slacking..... I see Caustic picked it up.

Don't think we collected an inch in February or maybe it just evaporated as fast as it came down. It's been cloudy and damp for weeks but not much rainfall. Staying sticky enough to keep corn planting at bay.

glad your getting some relief,

Thanks....starting to hear some rumbling of discontent with the rain. Most will remember 2011 and quickly add they don't want that. Very little has been planted going into 4-5 weeks past starting time.

Will have to see how long it sticks around...Don't know why, but it feels like it just might be a decent year for moisture but still a lot of red on those drought monitor maps...Some of it not all that far away.

I have to avoid winter calving. I am just back in the cattle business after 30 years away from it, and have bought some that were fall calvers, due to my lack of patience, or maybe my excitement to get the ball rolling. That sounds better. One bred heifer I bought from a southern lady calved 2-4-14, when it was -5 degrees. She was in the barn with bedding, and did fine, but if she had been out in the wind things would probably haven't turned out as well. I will work on getting the calving season to be in the spring, which starts in March here, although it was cold with plenty of snow this year.

I had them preg checked which got a few sold, and a few put in a field away from the bull. He is with the bred cows, and when they calve I get them away from him. He can see them again June 1. He is much happier with cows around him, even though they aren't going to come into heat with babies in their bellies.

Big Cheese":mwy7b6e9 said:
fenceman":mwy7b6e9 said:
Grandpa always said, there is no such thing as breeding season. Any day is a good day to have a new calf

Thats what our mentor says as well.

Depends on you goals, the number of head you are running and your location. I'm striving for 2 defined calving seasons, spring and fall.

TennesseeTuxedo":38s9ya4e said:
Big Cheese":38s9ya4e said:
fenceman":38s9ya4e said:
Grandpa always said, there is no such thing as breeding season. Any day is a good day to have a new calf

Thats what our mentor says as well.

Depends on you goals, the number of head you are running and your location. I'm striving for 2 defined calving seasons, spring and fall.

Our calves come in pretty much two different seasons. Most of them are born from the middle of Jan through March then they spread out a little more. We only carried 4 big calves through the winter from late calvers in one pasture....one in another....6 in our third herd but we bought them to have calves at that time....that is our new herd we added. They stay in about the same cycle most of the time. We still have most of our calves during the spring.

I shoot for a 60 day window from 1 Mar thru -end of Apr....for all the reasons listed by highgrit and retro, plus, I like to take a vacation in early Feb to somewhere warm and sandy, with cold drinks. I couldnt do that if i had to worry about calving. The markets are quite different; warm climate vs. cold climate. I do not however sync my cattle. I turn the bull in end of May.. Any cows who are open or way behind when preg checked take the ride because they clearly won't work in my program...I am almost done for this season, only have 4 left to go before end of month.