Sync question

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Time AIed (66 hours after CIDR pull) this morning w/2cc GnRH. Tonight there are 3 cows in standing heat. Should we breed them again in the morning or let it slide?

If they are in standing heat now, why wait at all?
How long after the 66 hours did this occur? The 66 hours I thought was optima +or - 2 hrs.
Takes me at least 60 days to tell if they are bred, (not watching them) I hate to lose that much time!

Jmho

I assume you used 14 cidr program? Anytime you see standing heat BREED THEM! I use the same bull I used earlier or if I don't have him I use a bull that will throw a differnt color or something so I know who the calf is out of.

Using the 66 hr he refers to it seems to me it is the 10 day protocol he used cider GnRH, day 7 pull cidr shot of lute, 66 hrs after inseminate and shot GnRH, didn't see the 66 hr mentioned in any of my 14 day protocol, could be wrong though

hopalong":38t01a8o said:
Using the 66 hr he refers to it seems to me it is the 10 day protocol he used cider GnRH, day 7 pull cidr shot of lute, 66 hrs after inseminate and shot GnRH, didn't see the 66 hr mentioned in any of my 14 day protocol, could be wrong though
That's the one. Now here's what's weird. We bred @ 10 am, at 5 pm those 3 were all taking turns riding and standing. By 6 pm they had all drifted away and were grazing like nothing had happened. We had the same deal with cows coming in later after th TAI and GnRH but I used the same bull for them when we bred them again. So I don;t know which breeding they actually settled to. So, we're going to let it slide and see what happens, if they calve to the AI we'll know it isn;t necessarry to breed them again, if they don;t we'll know next year we will need to.

I would AI them again in the morning. Everytime I have done this they settled, everytime I haven't they haven't.

KNERSIE":h244fitq said:
I would AI them again in the morning. Everytime I have done this they settled, everytime I haven't they haven't.

I have always heard to AI them 12 hours after observed standing heat. Don';t know why this would be any different. We are keeping in a few of the bettter cows this year for 10 days in case they pull what they did last year and breed to the cleanup bull 10 days later.

3waycross":fruerlrd said:
KNERSIE":fruerlrd said:

I have always heard to AI them 12 hours after observed standing heat. Don';t know why this would be any different. We are keeping in a few of the bettter cows this year for 10 days in case they pull what they did last year and breed to the cleanup bull 10 days later.

The (theoretical) difference is with the shot of GnRH at insemination.

KNERSIE":2zdizgfs said:
3waycross":2zdizgfs said:
KNERSIE":2zdizgfs said:

The (theoretical) difference is with the shot of GnRH at insemination.
Yup, that's supposed to make the difference.

The purpose of waiting twelve hours after standing heat is to insemenate aproximatly ten or so hours after ovulation which should be around the time of standing estrus. Since you ovulated them yourself in the morning, if you wait until the following morning you're actually 24 hours past ovulation regardless of when they were standing. Alot of cows on ovsync will still go through the motions but the timing is off.
That being said, I do literally thousands of head on ovsync every year and I've never seen enough of a differance between breeding at the time the shot is given all the way out to twenty four hours to make me do anything other than what is most conveinient for me.

cow pollinater":25bxfqgv said:
The purpose of waiting twelve hours after standing heat is to insemenate aproximatly ten or so hours after ovulation which should be around the time of standing estrus. Since you ovulated them yourself in the morning, if you wait until the following morning you're actually 24 hours past ovulation regardless of when they were standing. Alot of cows on ovsync will still go through the motions but the timing is off.
That being said, I do literally thousands of head on ovsync every year and I've never seen enough of a differance between breeding at the time the shot is given all the way out to twenty four hours to make me do anything other than what is most conveinient for me.

How big is the timeframe where you can ovulate them successfully?

Reason for asking is three years ago I was out of action and vet synched and AI-d for me using ovsync, two heifers was standing the following night and was AI-d by my dad the next morning, ie 48 hours after the GnRH and both settled!

dun":of6f3hjo said:
Time AIed (66 hours after CIDR pull) this morning w/2cc GnRH. Tonight there are 3 cows in standing heat. Should we breed them again in the morning or let it slide?

Happening to me right now. Gave GnRH and ai'd - then a couple hours later they're in a rip roaring heat. Trying to decide what to do - could pop another straw in. How did yours work out?

Reason for asking is three years ago I was out of action and vet synched and AI-d for me using ovsync, two heifers was standing the following night and was AI-d by my dad the next morning, ie 48 hours after the GnRH and both settled![/quote]

But you don't know which took - the vet or your dad right?

The problem with this protocol is that the GnRH is a desperation attempt only. If the cows or heifers have the "correct" timing, they ovulated at 54 hrs and you are breeding at 66 and the GnRH is useless. The hope with the GnRH is to pick up a few extra pregs in the ones that did not ovulate on time, but timing is off to start with. If you see them in heat after the protocol, you need to AI them again (12 hrs after the onset of estrus) if you expect them to stick to AI.

If you really wanted the GnRH to help give it at 54 hrs and breed at 66, but you have to weigh added pregs vs extra chute run.

Takes semen 8 hours to mature after AI. so if u Timed AI at 66hr and they are standing 6hrs later u are set.

angus9259":12dj5pre said:

Reason for asking is three years ago I was out of action and vet synched and AI-d for me using ovsync, two heifers was standing the following night and was AI-d by my dad the next morning, ie 48 hours after the GnRH and both settled!

But you don't know which took - the vet or your dad right?[/quote]

Exactly!

rockinn1":1e0fi3ty said:
Takes semen 8 hours to mature after AI. so if u Timed AI at 66hr and they are standing 6hrs later u are set.
Not necessarily. Cows do not ovulate until AFTER they are done standing. If she stands for 12 hours, the semen will be dead before the egg gets there. That is why they recommendation is to AI 12 hours AFTER you see standing heat.

That is true. but on a timed AI i wouldnt waste anymore semen. I personaly prefer heat detect and AI between 12 and 18 hrs after standing heat.

Latest posts