Switching from sisal twine to plastic on small baler?

Help Support CattleToday:

ohiosteve

Reaction score
Getting ready for my second season with a Hesston 4570 small baler, I've only run sisal twine but want to switch to plastic. Is there anything I need to do different or can I just run it the same as I have been? Any tips or suggestions would be great, thanks.

I would tak to a Heston mech and see what it takes. Just changing the diameter of the sisal twine caused problems with the square baler we use.

A friend of mine has a Case I-H inline baler which is the same as a hesston , he uses plastic twine in his all the time. I don' think he had to make any changes. I had a 316 NH and a 575 NH and it worked in both of them . Most guys I know around here use plastic string . I used 9600 with 170 lb knot strength.

You might have to change the twine tension.

I don't like looking at all the 1-2" pieces of plastic from cutting the knots that ends up everywhere.

Have a new to me JD346 I'm hoping to use sissal on this year.The leased baler used plastic.

#1 think I can think of is to make sure your knives are sharp....I had no problems switching on a JD 346....However do not know how a Heston will act.

All i have are hesston balers and as far as i know you should not have to change anything other than posibly the twine tension but maybe not even that. and your knife will need to be sharper for plastic.

I switched from sisal to plastic on Saturday and baled 1500 bales and didn't miss a one. I had real sharp knives. Around here plastic twine is considerably cheaper than sisal and I like plastic better so I'm glad it works in my baler. 200 bales to stack in the barn after work today and I feel like I was beaten with a baseball bat this weekend.

Latest posts