Switch Grass Hay

Help Support CattleToday:

We made some for the first time this year. We had a field we didn't get burned off and knew the cows wouldn't graze it efficiently due to the standing dead grass. I've got a post on this forum back in May/June about what to do with it.
Ours had some dead grass left from the previous year. The cows are licking up every bit of it, round bales, no processing. We have not had a feed analysis done on it but based on how well our cows like it and are doing on it I'd say it's as good as any good quality grass hay.
Ours was cut when about 10% of the grass had reached the boot stage, so it was cut while in a vegetative state. If headed out then it wouldn't be near the quality and you might consider the need to process it to get the cows to eat it.

We tried putting this stuff in for 2 years in a row, suggested by the FSA office, it never took, then I found out thru some research that the stuff doesn't grow good on bottom land, or a field that gets too wet when it rains, so that was kind of a waste. Its high dollar too, so money down the drain there.

GMN

Latest posts