swelling on banded bull

Help Support CattleToday:

braunvieh

Reaction score
We banded several bulls about 8 days ago, they are weighing about 700. One bull today we noticed has some swelling above the band, looks like fluid build up. Not huge, but noticeable if you look. He is eating fine and seems otherwise healthy, but you can tell it is uncomfortable to him. Do you think he needs treated? If so, with what? He was given a tetanus shot at banding and he is the only one of 15 that has this problem.

kscowboy":3ob92vum said:
just out of curiosity how long does it take to drop em on a 700 pounder , i have a smaller one i need to do.

FWIW If you cut open the scrotum after applying the band they will drop off in half the time. Approx 10-14 days.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Texas PaPaw":1no8nb97 said:
kscowboy":1no8nb97 said:
just out of curiosity how long does it take to drop em on a 700 pounder , i have a smaller one i need to do.

FWIW If you cut open the scrotum after applying the band they will drop off in half the time. Approx 10-14 days.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Beginner question: If you are cutting the scrotum after banding why not just cut them in the first place, finish the job and pull them out? Then you are sure you've got both and seems like It might heal faster without the band. My vet cut some bull calves this summer (no bands) at about 350 lb when we were working the whole group and they healed up well. At about three weeks they were back up to speed.

SRBeef":1yo0ptyg said:
Texas PaPaw":1yo0ptyg said:
kscowboy":1yo0ptyg said:

Just my 2 cents worth.

Beginner question: If you are cutting the scrotum after banding why not just cut them in the first place, finish the job and pull them out? Then you are sure you've got both and seems like It might heal faster without the band. My vet cut some bull calves this summer (no bands) at about 350 lb when we were working the whole group and they healed up well. At about three weeks they were back up to speed.

I agree with you on that. If you are going to cut the scrotum anyways you may as well castrate him that way. We banded a 700 lb calf about 2 weeks ago. They are still there, but he only slowed down for about a day. Never went off feed, and never really laid around. As far as I am concerned, banding is the way to go. And, if you can't get both of them on a 700 lb calf then you have no business being in the business!!

It is fluid had them to do it never done anything for them he will be ok. Jerking there balls out when they weigh 600 and up does seem set them where banding they never loss a pound. Cutting light weight bull calves costs you a easy quarter pound of gain a day.

Red Bull Breeder":3v17kfn7 said:
Cutting light weight bull calves costs you a easy quarter pound of gain a day.

Ask KNERSIE about his test he did

braunvieh":bpfws5jt said:
We banded several bulls about 8 days ago, they are weighing about 700. One bull today we noticed has some swelling above the band, looks like fluid build up. Not huge, but noticeable if you look. He is eating fine and seems otherwise healthy, but you can tell it is uncomfortable to him. Do you think he needs treated?

Yes
Give him some pain relief and cut it all off

Just wondering does anybody ever use a burdizzo? I have seen some really really bad things when people didn't know how to use them. We use it sometimes and, but cut our bull calves young if they have birthweights to high to keep them as bulls.

Latest posts